Ssb - judd trump: World no.1

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally Posted by trains View Post
    Hendry from any year in the 90's wouldn't hold the coat tails of today's Robertson or Trump,the only argument in his case is if he was born a decade later and matured his game amongst the stronger field,but then he'd be just another pro and not someone with 7 world titles.
    hey, i finally get what you're on about! nice

Comment

Originally Posted by Capelito View Post
      Quite impressive to win 4 titles and be ranked top3 for 4 years, including one as no1 in his time of "little success" Compared to the plsyer the thread is
      about I think that Hendrys "little success" is still better than Trumps record so far...
      not with this international championship win from judd - and judd is only 23.

Comment

Judd Trump finally win it. Congratulation to him.

Comment

Originally Posted by BBC.co.uk View Post
          New world number one Judd Trump beats Nathan Robertson in a thrilling final to win the inaugural International Championship.
          nice one bbc.. hahaha

Comment

Originally Posted by Ron Jeremy View Post
            I actually think the guy is overrated.
            He is attacking and exciting.
            But he doesn't have that control with the white that Hendry and other greats have.
            He is a potter, and excellent one, and have amazing power.
            Maybe he is just a bit to cocky for my taste?
            And the rest of the best is not in form, higgins, selby and others have slipped.
            But he's a number one, he deserves it, i also think he can stay there and learn, he is still young.
            And he draws people to snooker, which is extremly important.
            Having said that, i don't see him as a legend material, judd is not an Hendry, far from it imo?
            To take it a tad further.. the true no. 1 is struggling to maintain his top 16 status.. but at least he's still the current World Champ. Subjective I know ( and brought about by his own choosing too ).

Comment

Originally Posted by rhys1337 View Post
              nice one bbc.. hahaha
              Oh dear... Someone will have to inform Robertson about this, because the BBC is the premier official media outlet for world snooker, and I'm afraid this makes his name change official. :wink:

Comment

Originally Posted by arbitrage View Post
                then explain why he had so little success after 2000 when the competition became far more intense - in fact, from 2005 - 2012, he was the 'mincemeat' since he didn't win any ranking titles after the 2005 malta cup. if you look at the playing stats alone, o'sullivan is by far the most prolific break-builder in the game with an average of around 35 centuries per season compared to hendry's 28 (and john higgins' 29) - if this were expressed in frames played, o'sullivan would have an even bigger advantage. in terms of the potting success for the entire tournament or matches, hendry is around the 90% mark whereas o'sullivan has achieved ~95% or above in many instances. so if you look at the playing stats alone and not the title achievements, o'sullivan and higgins have taken the game to a new level and one where hendry has never been before - williams, murphy, maguire, robertson, ding, trump are all pretty much equal to hendry so from that line of analysis, hendry would not have dominated in this era - which explains the results from 2000 - 2012.
                You of course have a source for the stats? A link perhaps? Would be very nice, thank you. I'd like to see the potting stats, especially. I'll be holding my breath.

Comment

Originally Posted by Odrl View Post
                  Oh dear... Someone will have to inform Robertson about this, because the BBC is the premier official media outlet for world snooker, and I'm afraid this makes his name change official. :wink:
                  The British Brainwashing Corporation..

Comment

Ssb - judd trump: World no.1

I think if there were was as many tounaments back then as there is now, hendry would have been an even better player.

Comment

Originally Posted by paddybhoy30 View Post
                      I think if there were was as many tounaments back then as there is now, hendry would have been an even better player.
                      Depends when abouts you are talking about. Again back in the late 80's and 90's until about 1997 there were quite a few ranking events and other tournaments on the calendar. Also many events were much longer too, UK was a 2 week tournament unlike what it has been the last decade which has been a week and now watered down to best of 11's right through until the semi's. Tournaments like the British Open, Scottish Open, Grand Prix plus a few overseas events the Dubai classic, asian open etc. Then there were the numerous invitational events and team events, world doubles etc, he played in the golden age of snooker whereby he had the opportunity to dominate and tournaments to make the records he did.

Sure there are more smaller events such as the PTC's today but as they are a race to 4 frames I doubt Hendry would have done that well in them as his main successes always came in the longer events to play his way into form. Back in his dominant era he really didn't have an opponent a lot of the time until the quarters or semi finals worthy of it being a test, today the first round in any event is tough for even the top 16.

Comment

I saw nothing in that average final to suggest that either players measures up to hendry.

Comment

One century in 19 frames.

Comment

Originally Posted by trains View Post
                            Hendry from any year in the 90's wouldn't hold the coat tails of today's Robertson or Trump,the only argument in his case is if he was born a decade later and matured his game amongst the stronger field,but then he'd be just another pro and not someone with 7 world titles.
                            I didn't know you were a comedian Trains, you certainly can tell a good Joke. LOL

Comment

Originally Posted by arbitrage View Post
                              not with this international championship win from judd - and judd is only 23.
                              1- Actually 4>3 even after this win.
                              2- top3 for 4 years is still far away from Trump.
                              3- If age ever was a question here. Where was Hendry at 23?
                              ------------------------------
                              2008 UK-Championship fantasy game winner
                              2009 Premier League Fantasy game winner
                              2011 German Masters fantasy game winner

Comment

Originally Posted by cazmac1 View Post
                                I didn't know you were a comedian Trains, you certainly can tell a good Joke. LOL
                                Hendry's UK performances in 03 and 06 were as good as anything he displayed in the 90's,he didn't win either.

Comment

Working...
                                X