TSB - Ebdon’s complaint to The WPBSA

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally Posted by cazmac1 View Post
    Peter is one 100% right in asking for the table to be brushed, It only takes a few minuets, no longer than it takes some players to leave the playing area and go to the toilet. If I'm not mistaken Hendry got 3 bad contacts out of the last four shots he played. Peter is right insisting that this is a professional tourney and as such he is within his rights to expect the very best conditions. The argument that it’s the same for all players is not true either as some players like to float the ball in which leaves them open to more kicks where others like to hit the ball harder.
    You hardly find the same playing conditions in other professional sports. In football, you have 4 teams in the same group, two of them may meet in rainy conditions and the other two may meet in sunny conditions. In tennis grand slams, the semis are held on different days, would this be fair to the player that has a day less to recover? How about if that players wins his match after 5 long sets? Aren't they pros that play & practise tennis for hours & hours every day? In bowling, pro-bowlers compete on different lane conditions session after session & trial after trial. I could go on & give examples for almost every single sport.

A construction worker is also a professional in his own field. Should he by default ask for the same working conditions everytime he steps into a construction site? Should he object if the conditions are a bit hot or a bit cold? Or just like any other pro, adapt & get on with it?

I would expect that at least the top 32 in the world would have every shot in the book. Striking the ball hard or just floating it are supposed to be part of their arsenal and the key is to adapt and use the most suitable weapon for a particular condition.

Of course you're entitled to you own opinion but if what you're saying is true then professional tournaments would be carbon copies of each other only held in different venues. How boring would that be to players, officials, viewers & sponsors?
    Winner of C77's Masters Fantasy Game 2010
    Joint-winner of montoya10/theasaris' Shanghai Masters Fantasy Game 2010

Comment

Peter is one 100% right in asking for the table to be brushed, It only takes a few minuets, no longer than it takes some players to leave the playing area and go to the toilet. If I'm not mistaken Hendry got 3 bad contacts out of the last four shots he played. Peter is right insisting that this is a professional tourney and as such he is within his rights to expect the very best conditions. The argument that it’s the same for all players is not true either as some players like to float the ball in which leaves them open to more kicks where others like to hit the ball harder.
      The final session of the Masters after the mid-session interval is scheduled for 7 frames as is the final of the WC, 2 of the biggest sessions in the world of snooker and it's NEVER been mentioned that the table should be brushed half way through.

Peter is 100% wrong and just moaning cos he got beat - simple as.

Kicks are not caused by the tables not being brushed and blocked after 4 frames in a best of 7 match. That's complete and utter nonsense!! I saw Matthew Stevens' last match but one and he had 2 really bad kicks in the same frame. The frame score was 0-0 at the time, as was the score in points when he had the 1st kick.

Comment

Originally Posted by cue1 View Post
        You hardly find the same playing conditions in other professional sports. In football, you have 4 teams in the same group, two of them may meet in rainy conditions and the other two may meet in sunny conditions. In tennis grand slams, the semis are held on different days, would this be fair to the player that has a day less to recover? How about if that players wins his match after 5 long sets? Aren't they pros that play & practise tennis for hours & hours every day? In bowling, pro-bowlers compete on different lane conditions session after session & trial after trial. I could go on & give examples for almost every single sport.

A construction worker is also a professional in his own field. Should he by default ask for the same working conditions everytime he steps into a construction site? Should he object if the conditions are a bit hot or a bit cold? Or just like any other pro, adapt & get on with it?

I would expect that at least the top 32 in the world would have every shot in the book. Striking the ball hard or just floating it are supposed to be part of their arsenal and the key is to adapt and use the most suitable weapon for a particular condition.

Of course you're entitled to you own opinion but if what you're saying is true then professional tournaments would be carbon copies of each other only held in different venues. How boring would that be to players, officials, viewers & sponsors?
        It always make me LOL when people try and compare snooker and football, as for all the shots, its clear you don't understand snooker at all. With regards to conditions snooker is unique in that the conditions can be controlled, it is this constanst improvement in conditions and materials that has brought the game to it's current level, now we have people trying to take us backwards to club like condition. what a joke.

Comment

Originally Posted by Gerry Armstrong View Post
          To be fair to Ebdon, he did bring this up before the tournament as well.

Comment

The final session of the Masters after the mid-session interval is scheduled for 7 frames as is the final of the WC, 2 of the biggest sessions in the world of snooker and it's NEVER been mentioned that the table should be brushed half way through.

Kicks are not caused by the tables not being brushed and blocked after 4 frames in a best of 7 match. That's complete and utter nonsense!! I saw Matthew Stevens' last match but one and he had 2 really bad kicks in the same frame. The frame score was 0-0 at the time, as was the score in points when he had the 1st kick.
            Kicks can happen at any time but anyone who says that at table covered in chalk does not increase the possiblity of bad contacts is talking out there backside.

Comment

It always make me LOL when people try and compare snooker and football, as for all the shots, its clear you don't understand snooker at all. With regards to conditions snooker is unique in that the conditions can be controlled, it is this constanst improvement in conditions and materials that has brought the game to it's current level, now we have people trying to take us backwards to club like condition. what a joke.
              That's the same lame excuse I've heard from every so called "expert" in their sport!!!

Instead of lol'ing, why don't you look into Ebdon's ulterior motives?!
              Winner of C77's Masters Fantasy Game 2010
              Joint-winner of montoya10/theasaris' Shanghai Masters Fantasy Game 2010

Comment

Kicks can happen at any time but anyone who says that at table covered in chalk does not increase the possiblity of bad contacts is talking out there backside.
                No-one knows what causes kicks so there is absolutely no scientific basis to draw that conclusion. Opinions on the other hand are like backsides...

Comment

Originally Posted by Odrl View Post
                  To be fair to Ebdon, he did bring this up before the tournament as well.
                  Sounds like he was getting his excuses ready early

Comment

No-one knows what causes kicks so there is absolutely no scientific basis to draw that conclusion. Opinions on the other hand are like backsides...
                    You obviously watch too much telly and I would suggest you are more a snooker fan than a player and like to to repeat things you've heard parrot fashion. Like I said you are talking out your backside.
                    MR Einstein

Comment

You obviously watch too much telly and I would suggest you are more a snooker fan than a player and like to to repeat things you've heard parrot fashion. Like I said you are talking out your backside.
                      MR Einstein
                      You can suggest what you like about me, I don't care.

However, if you wish to prove that not brushing a table causes kicks then please present your evidence.

Comment

There are different types of kicks and the ones we are talking about are directly linked to chalk and the table not been cleaned. Go down the club get the white ball rub chalk all over it and then play a few shots.
                        I know what I know from playing this game for 30 years. FACT

Comment

There are different types of kicks and the ones we are talking about are directly linked to chalk and the table not been cleaned. Go down the club get the white ball rub chalk all over it and then play a few shots.
                          I know what I know from playing this game for 30 years. FACT
                          If you do that, why don't you get a kick every time? And if you've tried it you KNOW that is the case - FACT.

I've been playing for 30 years too - FACT.

There has NEVER been any CONCLUSIVE proof to link any sort of kick directly to chalk - FACT.

Still no evidence.

Comment

Kicks kicks kicks eh...

Now now boys.

Comment

There is a "What Causes Kicks?" thread I think.
                              Oh, and that's a bad miss.

Comment

Working...
                              X