The greatest match

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The greatest match

I rate the 06 masters as one of the best I've watched myself... I'm thinking to myself when are we going to see two heavyweights of the game doing battle like that again?
    Don't let the fear of losing be greater than the excitement of winning...

Comment

06 masters is my call too, greatest match is when you don't really know the outcome until the final second, keeps you on the edge wondering... Higgins' clearance with that red just hanging over the middle for a millisecond, for a normal human being, your heart would still be thumping thinking the red was going to stay out and expecting the worst, that kind of emotional swing would be huge, not for Higgins, he went on to clear up, that takes nerves of not steel, more like titanium, that is pure class, doubt you'll find anyone else that's able to do that on a decider frame in one of the biggest tournament ever against the world's very best!

Hendry's 147 is worth a mention too, such a come back from O'Sullivan, white perfectly safe and tucked under the cushion, Hendry just knocks the red in, come off 2 cushions and makes a 147, the only thing missing, is this was not a major tournament final, so it's nowhere as good as Higgins' clearance

Comment

for me, the 1985 epic black ball crucible final. dennis taylor vs. steve davis and the battle on the final black. taylor missed the cross double, davis missed the thin cut and finally taylor kissed the trophy before potting it. couldn't be more tense !
        ------------------------------------------------------------------------
        omaha players need more than a nice pair to get excited

Comment

Originally Posted by oberlaie View Post
          for me, the 1985 epic black ball crucible final. dennis taylor vs. steve davis and the battle on the final black. taylor missed the cross double, davis missed the thin cut and finally taylor kissed the trophy before potting it. couldn't be more tense !

Great finish . . .
          My favourite players: Walter Lindrum (AUS), Neil Robertson (AUS), Eddie Charlton (AUS), Robby Foldvari (AUS), Vinnie Calabrese (AUS), Jimmy White, Stephen Hendry, Alex Higgins, Ronnie O'Sullivan, Dominic Dale and Barry Hawkins.
          I dream of a 147 (but would be happy with a 100)

Comment

For pure drama i dont think it can be beaten.
            After 15 reds and 15 blacks i did this http://youtu.be/DupuczMS2o4

Comment

Can't remember what year but a World Champs 1/4 final between Ronnie and Hendry where they were both playing awesome , Hendry won 13-11 , wanted Ronnie to win and was gutted but Hendry was the ultimate competitor
              It's hard to pot balls with a Chimpanzee tea party going on in your head

Wibble

Comment

Originally Posted by scottley View Post
                For pure drama i dont think it can be beaten.
                hmmm i agree but it wasn't only that final frame ... taylor was well behind in the beginning (was it 1-9 ?) and he later said his wife asked him to give up already but he came back and finally won it. when he was asked why he tried those risky doubles he replied "imagine you play safe and lose it, you would ask yourself the whole life what would have happened if you tried it ...". very true, and for me, i like to use that as an excuse to myself when going for a risky frame ball again
                Last edited by oberlaie; 6 March 2014, 08:47 AM.
                ------------------------------------------------------------------------
                omaha players need more than a nice pair to get excited

Comment

Promoted to blog post - http://www.thesnookerblog.com/2014/0...reatest-match/

Comment

it depends on your criteria, drama tension etc etc but for pure standard of snooker played, the semi final of the worlds between O'sullivan and Hendry is the highest standard of snooker I have ever seen played in one match.
                    https://www.ebay.co.uk/str/adr147

Comment

For me it has to be
                      1 -The Hurricane v The Whirlwind 1982 World Semi - was like a potting war between them
                      2- The Hurricane V Davis 1983 Coral UK Final - great comeback from Alex
                      3- Taylor v Davis 1985 World Final - pure tension & drama
                      4- Paul Hunters Masters Finals - all 3 won on deciding frames, always feel sad he never had time to shine longer what a talent he was played with a smile on his face win or lose you couldn't always tell.
                      Last edited by CueAntW147; 6 March 2014, 05:42 PM.

Comment

Sorry got to change my mind on this one - I did think the 2006 Masters Higgins v O'Sullivan was a great match and a great standard but---

The 1985 world final has got to be the best match ever in terms of what it did for snooker - I remember clubs opening up everywhere you looked - and you could not get near a table because they where always full.
                        No-one went to school or work the next day - certainly not my da anyway as he had 20 quid on Dennis Taylor and when he potted the black he jumped out of his chair put his foot through the glass coffee table and ended up getting taken to hospital.

Loudest cheer at the Crucible - got to be this one - I heard it in Ireland.

Comment

2 suggestions:
                          1. Alex Higgins vs. Stephen Hendry, Irish Masters Final 1989
                          2. Steve Davis vs. John Higgins, WSC 2010

Comment

i think hendry vs ebdon in 2002 world finals... very tense especially for me a supporter of hendry... he lost to ebdon though 17-18 with ebdon got lucky snooker in the final frame... LOL

Comment

1940 World Final - Davis v Davis

Comment

Nice to see Paul Hunter getting mentioned here. The 2004 Masters final was epic!

Another great match was 2009 UK semi between Higgins and O'Sullivan, Higgins lead 8-2 then O'Sullivan pulled it back to 8-8 then Higgins took the final frame. Very nail biting stuff all the way through.

The 2010 UK final was also a great match this time Higgins coming back from 5-9 to win 10-9

Comment

Working...
                                X