No announcement yet.

Why pro's struggle on match day?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

even on line up 7 147s is awesome....252 balls potted without missing and the fact he has to gain position every time for the black it's extrodinary

Comment

it would no way have been a line up. Mark Joyce is a good pro nothing more nothing less..he is good enough to scrape a living from snooker he is not a special talent and I would say playing to his ability in a match situation.

Comment

You can't coach or practice bottle, ask English penalty takers.
        This is how you play darts ,MVG two nines in the same match!
        https://youtu.be/yqTGtwOpHu8

Comment

Well off to a match this afternoon with a friend at his place. He is a very good player with a high break of 121. See if I can get some positive thinking and visualize my shots and block out the negative thinking and doubt of every shot. I have a big qualifier tomorrow and need to win some games.
          " Practice to improve not just to waste time "
          " 43 Match - 52 Practice - 13 Reds in Line Up "
          http://www.ontariosnooker.club

Comment

I played in the same England team as Mark in 2005 and he looked like a top 32 player to me. He's not quite reached that level yet, but there is still time.

Chris Small hit the nail on the head with his comment, although I think confidence and self belief to be virtually identical, as are pressure and nerves(the ability to withstand pressure and hold your nerve).

The other considerations have also been mentioned - the quality of the opposition, both in where the white is situated when you come to the table and the worry of not missing because your opponent will dish up on you. Add to that the watching crowds, maybe a TV audience and the financial implications of losing and it's a miracle any of them pot a ball.

When you see Ronnie play like he has recently, can you even imagine the pressure in your own head if you're playing him?
            I often use large words I don't really understand in an attempt to appear more photosynthesis.

Comment

Originally Posted by magicman View Post
              When you see Ronnie play like he has recently, can you even imagine the pressure in your own head if you're playing him?
              Ding is one of the best players in the world and even his game starting to crumble when he was playing Ronnie in the Welsh open. You do start to see how pressure can effect players.

If you could bottle confidence you'd earn a fortune.

Comment

There are other factors to consider. Graeme Dott is in China and when talking to his daughter ( 5 years old ) face to face online she was crying her eyes out and asking her mum to take her to see her dad straight away. That must have an effect as well.

Comment

The abstract thing about "Pressure" is it is completely internally manufactured and in reality does not exist as and entity or external force. Problem is it exists for the person experiencing it.

Comment

All these pros can play,of that there can be no doubt, in the club they will all be able to destroy players without hitting top gear, so their technique must be sound, and they have put the hours in, so what's the ingredient missing between them and tournament winners? That certain something that winners have, call it bottle, inner belief , determination call it what you will, some have it others don't.
                    This is how you play darts ,MVG two nines in the same match!
                    https://youtu.be/yqTGtwOpHu8

Comment

The difference is whats going on between the ears simple as that.
                      www.ChrisSmallSnookerCoaching.co.uk

Comment

Originally Posted by chrissmall147 View Post

Deffo, it must be a great feeling to waltz around the table without feeling it? Or does everyone feel it, but just on different levels, or do some just cope with it better?
                        After 15 reds and 15 blacks i did this http://youtu.be/DupuczMS2o4

Comment

Iv, seen Mark Practice a couple of times and he's such a nice Cueist, deffo someone with the ability, to be in the top 32. It can only be in the mind. I suppose Stu, its a matter of being able to stay calm and Play your normal Game, when the Pressures on! e.g 4-3 up in a best of 9, against 1 of the big boys and you get 1st chance, can you produce then! Thats what the top Players are able to do consistently. A lot easier said than done though!

Comment

Originally Posted by chrissmall147 View Post
                            Yes you got that right. Played in my 10 qualifier best of 7. My high break was 7 lost 4 games straight. I have won 6 games out of 40 and never won a match yet when I practice I run balls like nothing. So frustrating I am about to give up. Just drives me nuts.
                            Last edited by lesedwards; 8 March 2014, 11:31 PM.
                            " Practice to improve not just to waste time "
                            " 43 Match - 52 Practice - 13 Reds in Line Up "
                            http://www.ontariosnooker.club

Comment

I saw a lot of guys over the years who just never missed, at amateur and pro level. It just seemed to me that they couldn't do it when the other guy was as good as themselves. I.e. In practice or pro ams the form was fine but in a tourney when an error might be punished they did not play with the same freedom.

I thought shot selection was a factor, it's the small percentages that get you, for example a wrong shot in the balls leads to an acute pot into the middle or a red into a baulk pocket which flies in in practice but when you know you're leaving 70 for a guy who WILL do it, suddenly it catches a jaw. I'd be interested in Chris's opinion of the above because it may well be tripe but it was the way I saw it at the time.

To the OP, I think its important for people to look at the matches they are losing and be honest. That is a good judge of the level you are playing at. If a guy keeps losing to players he is deemed as "better than", then he is either overrated or continually under performing.

Comment

Originally Posted by stustu151080 View Post
                                I watch Marc Joyce play/practice every single day. Marc has such a fantastic all round game, his break building is 2nd to none. Just faultless. He knocks in regular 130's 140's and just in the last couple of week had had a couple of maximums. But for some reason when he goes to compete in his match's he struggles to get over the winning line?
                                for me it's so painfull to understand why. How can a player fly his absolute tits off then go to a match and really struggle so bad?
                                For me, Travelling half way across the world on your own doesn't help...
                                Having the right practice partners around you daily are a big must...
                                Lastly confidence...

I rate Marc very highly & cant understand why he is struggling like he is.

What's everyone's opinions?
                                Seems that things are looking up for Marc. He's just beaten Hawkins in the Haikou world open.

Comment

Working...
                                X