Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally Posted by ADR147 View Post
    make no mistake she can play the game.
    Just not well enough to make the tour like everyone else has to...

Good for public interest, I suppose. She's obviously a good player but there are plenty of those. I won't be too negative about it since she could help the game's image, but she will be taking a place from a better player. I don't see any way around that. I'd be surprised if she wins many matches, other than in very short formats.

How does she compare with Allison Fisher in terms of playing ability? Allison looked technically more sound. Anyone able to offer any insight on this?

Comment

Originally Posted by Nugget View Post
      Just not well enough to make the tour like everyone else has to...
      OTOH, there are (or have been) various ways to make the tour not open to everyone which are clearly in place to spread the interest - e.g. Oceania champion - so you could just regard "Women's World Champion" as another of these.

Comment

Originally Posted by AndrewB View Post
        OTOH, there are (or have been) various ways to make the tour not open to everyone which are clearly in place to spread the interest - e.g. Oceania champion - so you could just regard "Women's World Champion" as another of these.
        Interesting point!

Comment

I seem to remember that she didn't do much on the PIOS Tour, so I can't see things being different this time around on the Pro Tour.

Is Reanne going to be a full part of the 96-player tour, or is she getting one of the "amateur invites" to make a 128-strong field?

It's a nice boost for the women, but if she gets on tour then I'd like to see other talented players get their chance as well - the likes of Soheil Vahedi, Issara Kachaiwong, some of the China Open wildcards etc.

I wonder if the selection of amateurs to compete will also include more obscure regions? I've never seen the African or North American champions play, for example.

Comment

She is a beautiful women and that helps a lot in drawing viewers, and promoting snooker.
            It would be nice to see some ladies playing snooker on TV.
            So, I am supporting this.

On the other hand, can we have a women's tour with some TV coverage? If Hearn feels that beautiful women can sell snooker, why not get a whole tour full of them, and promote them as professionals?

I think with things the way they are now, it is hard for a girl to play head to head with a man and make it exciting on TV. With all due respect, any top 32 man player will crush any woman player and the game will not even be close.

With so little money it is hard to appeal to the ladies to really take up the game, hence, very hard to have talented player really committed to becoming the best. Without TV coverage it is hard to make the game popular among the ladies.

But if we have TV coverage and more money from sponsors and such, we might see a much stronger field of ladies in a few years.
            Last edited by poolqjunkie; 2 May 2010, 10:26 PM.
            www.AuroraCues.com

Comment

Originally Posted by CoolBlue View Post
              Will she win enough money to pay for her bus fare home?

Is she just having a bad day? That is not her average level of play is it?
              www.AuroraCues.com

Comment

This frame sure does no justice to Reanne's skills. I've seen a pro-am match of her beating Joe Perry, so she is up to something at least.

I think the wild card to her is a good idea.
                Ten reds and not a colour...

Comment

Originally Posted by poolqjunkie View Post
                  On the other hand, can we have a women's tour with some TV coverage? If Hearn feels that beautiful women can sell snooker, why not get a whole tour full of them, and promote them as professionals
                  i like your enthusiams, but it would be hard to promote something like that regarding the standard of women snooker

Originally Posted by poolqjunkie View Post
                  Will Maria get to play as well?
                  i suppose not, and why should she? with all respect to Maria, at least Reanne has shown the will to qualify for the tour by playing qualifier events.

i think it would be good to give her a spot on the tour now as long as she's young and has enough energy to improve further. I hope she can justify her maybe-wildcard by playing well enough to stay on the tour. She has the chance to improve not only her status but the whole women's game - a tough burden, because if she fails the chance for the upcoming youngsters will be diminished.
                  If she drops out after a season (after taking the place from more worthy players, as others have put it here) - well there have been male players too who where given wildcards and who dropped out after a season (germany's patrick einsle springs to my mind)

Comment

I haven't read all the posts - and I may be controversial - but I do not agree with Reanne getting a wildcard onto the MT - much as I would love to see womens snooker getting a fair crack of the whip.
                    I believe Reanne took part in the PIOS one season and did not win many matches. All the players who have competed in the MT 2009/10 at great cost, competed as an Amateur on PIOS and NGBs comps must feel very hard done by that a wildcard has been given to a player - just because she's a woman? I know she is World Champion but has not achieved when competing against her male counterparts.
                    Womens' snooker must be improved to a higher standard and profile, as with womens' tennis, and must either compete in an improved and more financially rewarding womens tour or compete fairly in the mens game.

Comment

Originally Posted by Karen View Post
                      i like your enthusiams, but it would be hard to promote something like that regarding the standard of women snooker
                      You know it's like a vicious circle, the standard would have a much stronger push to grow if there was where to compete (tour with somewhat reasonable prize money), and on the other hand why would one start supporting something of a lowish standard...

She won against.. Higgins in 6reds, didn't she
                      Co-winner of Spike’s 2009 UK Championship number of centuries prediction contest.

RIP Noel. RIP.

Comment

I think its great.More positive press coverage is a bonus for snooker especially after the past few days.On the negative side though,I hope she doesnt draw Mark Allen in any events!

Comment

Originally Posted by Frying Scotsman View Post
                          I think its great.More positive press coverage is a bonus for snooker especially after the past few days.On the negative side though,I hope she doesnt draw Mark Allen in any events!
                          Would you be so sure about the winner?
                          With additional tension..

But for that she'd need to win 4 qualifying matches first of all. Unless there will be totally random draw in some events (world open?).
                          Co-winner of Spike’s 2009 UK Championship number of centuries prediction contest.

RIP Noel. RIP.

Comment

what is the qualifying criteria going to be with the new proposals to get onto the main tour?

Comment

Totally unwarranted and unjustified. As lovely as girl she is, and its nice that Hearn is trying to help the ladies, and it might give us a bit more publicity. But at the end of the day, she is not in the same class as the men pro's. She's a good player, but not as good i think as Karen Corr was, Allison Fisher, Kelly Fisher.

There are many Amateurs out there more deserving than Reanne i'm afraid, and i am all for giving talent a chance, but the mens snooker is completely out of her league. Even if she can win one match here or there, its a pointless effort to promote ladies snooker. By being relegated in her first season, its a wasted wildcard.

And if you are all honest with yourselves, everybody knows shes's a great player for a lady, but come on, lets not get carried away. We saw it with the golf, and looked what happened there. Bit dissappointed with this if it is true!

Comment

such a waste of a wildcard spot...

Comment

Working...
                                X