X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Billy
    replied
    Originally Posted by gavpowell View Post
    Yes but the tech is out there for free in the case of game engines - even Cryengine from can be used free of charge, for example.
    But you make it sound like creating a computer game with top-notch graphics and animations is the easiest thing in the world. It's clearly not, otherwise any fool could do it.

Leave a comment:

• gavpowell
    replied
    Originally Posted by Billy View Post
    Well that's just about every game developer these days.

I might be wrong, but I don't remember the developers ever claiming they'd mo-capped the players. If they did, then you're right they've done a terrible job with what little animations there are.

I'll still say it's about the size and budget, though. There's a reason games like Rory Mcilroy's PGA Tour have such stunning graphics, and that is the millions of pounds thrown into development and resources. Why do you think low-budget movies have such poor special FX when compared with blockbusters? You may as well say, "The tech is out there, so why don't all films, regardless of budget, have the same quality special FX?"
    Yes but the tech is out there for free in the case of game engines - even Cryengine from can be used free of charge, for example. The reason games are almost universally released in such a poor state is because people keep paying for them, often pre-ordering blindly and complaining they're broken! No incentive for the studios to fix anything, though CDProjekt have generally been good at releasing games in a good condition, so it can be done.

I can't find the interview where they were discussing the mocap - I may have misunderstood as they only told Murphy about how their 3d camera mapping worked when they scanned all the players at tournaments. Still an awful result mind...

Leave a comment:

• Billy
    replied
    I still think bad graphics is a poor excuse these days - not bothered about photorealism but there are plenty of engines available for producing much better images, and if they were mapping the players, what for? They've not captured the likenesses or the movements!

Also, companies of all size and reputation should be punished for releasing unfinished games - tester used to be a proper job...
    Well that's just about every game developer these days.

I might be wrong, but I don't remember the developers ever claiming they'd mo-capped the players. If they did, then you're right they've done a terrible job with what little animations there are.

I'll still say it's about the size and budget, though. There's a reason games like Rory Mcilroy's PGA Tour have such stunning graphics, and that is the millions of pounds thrown into development and resources. Why do you think low-budget movies have such poor special FX when compared with blockbusters? You may as well say, "The tech is out there, so why don't all films, regardless of budget, have the same quality special FX?"
    Last edited by Billy; 22 April 2019, 09:49 PM.

Leave a comment:

• gavpowell
    replied
    I still think bad graphics is a poor excuse these days - not bothered about photorealism but there are plenty of engines available for producing much better images, and if they were mapping the players, what for? They've not captured the likenesses or the movements!

Also, companies of all size and reputation should be punished for releasing unfinished games - tester used to be a proper job...
    Last edited by gavpowell; 22 April 2019, 09:16 PM.

Leave a comment:

• Billy
    replied
    I was looking forward to the game, but when they released the early trailers and it looked ugly, I wasn't impressed, then the bug reports and even feature decisions came out and I felt that settled it for me - I'm not spending good money on something that isn't finished and didn't impress me to start with. Hopefully the Hendry game will be better.
    I'd say you've done the right thing holding off buying. The game needs a lot of patching up but I wouldn't dismiss it just yet. And no, the graphics aren't brilliant, but AAA graphics are only going to happen when someone like EA Sports decides to take on the game... and I doubt that will ever happen.

Like @Matty66 says, Ripstone are small outfit and have probably done just about what they can with what I'm sure will have been a relatively small budget... at least graphically.

Leave a comment:

• Matty66
    replied
    I was looking forward to the game, but when they released the early trailers and it looked ugly, I wasn't impressed, then the bug reports and even feature decisions came out and I felt that settled it for me - I'm not spending good money on something that isn't finished and didn't impress me to start with. Hopefully the Hendry game will be better.

They made a big thing in interviews about how they'd been at tournaments wiring up the players to scan them into the game, yet they don't look right and apparently all play identically, so what was the point?
    Wasn’t really that bothered about how the players look but There is only so much they can do regards the players looks. They’re not exactly a big company so can only work with what they’ve got. Yes the game as it’s issues but I don’t believe it’s as bad as some think it and I wouldn’t hold out much hope with the Stephen hendry`s this is snooker. From what some have said its not looking great. I guess we’ll find out though when it’s released.

Leave a comment:

• gavpowell
    replied
    Hi, Matty66. Snooker 19 discussion here has been a little disappointing if I'm honest. There's far more chat about the game going on at the Steam forums. Just go to Discussions and search Snooker 19.

They made a big thing in interviews about how they'd been at tournaments wiring up the players to scan them into the game, yet they don't look right and apparently all play identically, so what was the point?

Leave a comment:

• Billy
    replied
    Originally Posted by Matty66 View Post
    Completely agree. The one thing that should have been perfect was the rules with world snooker being involved.
    Someone at Ripstone will have been paid good money to oversee the rules, too. It makes my teeth itch when I think the likes of you and I could have done a better job.

Leave a comment:

• Matty66
    replied
    Hi, Matty66. Snooker 19 discussion here has been a little disappointing if I'm honest. There's far more chat about the game going on at the Steam forums. Just go to Discussions and search Snooker 19.

I agree with what you say - the close-up views of the shots playing out are uncannily realistic. The rule errors, however, are unforgivable, even at this early stage. It's okay saying they'll hopefully be addressed with a future patch, but they shouldn't be there in the first place. And it's always the same rules that get overlooked, proving that it's always down to research laziness. This was made alongside World Snooker. Why couldn't they have simply employed the services of professional referee to oversee all possible in-game situations??
    Completely agree. The one thing that should have been perfect was the rules with world snooker being involved.

Leave a comment:

• Billy
    replied
    Originally Posted by Matty66 View Post
    Hi. New guy here. Was looking for a forum for snooker 19 and here I am. Despite the numerous issues with it I am enjoying it. I do like the fact everything is official. I have read comments elsewhere saying the graphics are more like PS2. Dont agree with that at all. The Close up shots are very realistic indeed. Hopefully more updates will be released to fix the rest issues and some of the rules that need correcting especially calling a miss when snookers are required. Not sure if they can sort out the AI in particular when break building where they will decide to go for a brown off it’s spot even though they’ll be nicely on black.

I agree with what you say - the close-up views of the shots playing out are uncannily realistic. The rule errors, however, are unforgivable, even at this early stage. It's okay saying they'll hopefully be addressed with a future patch, but they shouldn't be there in the first place. And it's always the same rules that get overlooked, proving that it's always down to research laziness. This was made alongside World Snooker. Why couldn't they have simply employed the services of professional referee to oversee all possible in-game situations??
    Last edited by Billy; 22 April 2019, 03:56 PM.

Leave a comment:

• Matty66
    replied
    Hi. New guy here. Was looking for a forum for snooker 19 and here I am. Despite the numerous issues with it I am enjoying it. I do like the fact everything is official. I have read comments elsewhere saying the graphics are more like PS2. Dont agree with that at all. The Close up shots are very realistic indeed. Hopefully more updates will be released to fix the rest issues and some of the rules that need correcting especially calling a miss when snookers are required. Not sure if they can sort out the AI in particular when break building where they will decide to go for a brown off it’s spot even though they’ll be nicely on black.

Leave a comment:

• Billy
    replied
    Originally Posted by Mark187187 View Post
    Any idea when this is getting released on the Nintendo Switch- seems to have been delayed but can't see a date anywhere?
    I can only presume the delay means they can't give a precise date as of now. I'm sure it will be easily found when they do announce.

Leave a comment:

• Mark187187
    replied
    Any idea when this is getting released on the Nintendo Switch- seems to have been delayed but can't see a date anywhere?

Leave a comment:

• Billy
    replied
    Here's what I've noticed following the update:

The 'Opponent thinking...' graphic for AI shots is much smaller. I'd rather it wasn't there at all, but it's certainly less 'in your face' than it was before.
    Best of all, the silly roll-up safety shots have gone. AI players now play the more authentic thin clip back into baulk. Both these are very welcome changes.

The career mode seems a little weird to me. I played and won my first qualifier, and on exiting was given the date when the tournament would start in earnest. Following that, however, I was invited to play in another qualifier. Seems silly to play in a qualifier for a second tournament, before you've entered the one you qualified for previous to that.

I also hope a future update will include a save option (or at least an indicator that the game is auto saving). As it stands, we have no option but to assume (and trust) the game is saving our career progress when we exit the game.

Leave a comment:

• Billy
    replied
    Originally Posted by Csmith View Post
    I see they've released an update. Apparently, it should address some safety issues.
    Not sure when this was released. I noticed after I'd installed my copy (late on the 17th) that there was a notification telling me an update had been installed. I assume they're one and the same.

Originally Posted by trying View Post
    Amazon have inexplicably cocked up delivering their pre-orders ... now due end of May/ June (how does that even happen??)...
    How indeed? The game is out, why will it take them that long to get their copies in??

Leave a comment:

Working...
X