Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Is the Stun run Thru ever actually 100% necessary?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Have we moved from a snooker forum to a spelling forum ???

Comment

For me, there's a big difference between 'stun' and 'stun run thru'. I think all good players plays stun shots on angled shots to perhaps widen or narrow the angle. But for me, the 'stun run thru' can surely only be played on straight ish shots, where you're not trying to widen the angle at all.

For the point of how else are you supposed to make the white travel a few inches when the OB is 8 ft away... Could this not be achieved with drag?

Comment

Originally Posted by 02aleric View Post
        For me, there's a big difference between 'stun' and 'stun run thru'. I think all good players plays stun shots on angled shots to perhaps widen or narrow the angle. But for me, the 'stun run thru' can surely only be played on straight ish shots, where you're not trying to widen the angle at all.

For the point of how else are you supposed to make the white travel a few inches when the OB is 8 ft away... Could this not be achieved with drag?
        surely not, its called a stun shot because thats the effect on the white after connecting with the ob, so a a bit of stun and a bit of run through what have you got? and it can be played with any angle you my have, the more angle maybe the lower you'd come down on the white.
        how do you narrow the angle on a stun shot?

Comment

Originally Posted by j6uk View Post
          surely not, its called a stun shot because thats the effect on the white after connecting with the ob, so a a bit of stun and a bit of run through what have you got? and it can be played with any angle you my have, the more angle maybe the lower you'd come down on the white.
          how do you narrow the angle on a stun shot?
          for me playing the stun on high and low cuts your are play a stun up/ stun down by using the angle which is a different type of strike/shot to a stun run through. The main point of the stun run through and what its known for is straightish shots which alot of the "old School" and some modern players might have rolled in dead weight...problem is under pressure you would much rather cue the shot a little firmer especially on a fast cloth and get the same result...hence the "stun Run through". As to the question is it neccessarry I personally prefer to roll the ball dead weight but thats just me. It has it's place in the game and if you play it alot it can become a useful shot to have in your game. The time i play this shot most is normally with running side if i am trying to widen an angle to get out to the middle of the table Or to just wide the angle on a pot where the roll trhough might be leaving me closer to the cushion than i'd like.

Comment

problem is under pressure you would much rather cue the shot a little firmer especially on a fast cloth and get the same result
            I think that sums it up.

Comment

Originally Posted by dcrackers147 View Post
              for me playing the stun on high and low cuts your are play a stun up/ stun down by using the angle which is a different type of strike/shot to a stun run through. The main point of the stun run through and what its known for is straightish shots which alot of the "old School" and some modern players might have rolled in dead weight...problem is under pressure you would much rather cue the shot a little firmer especially on a fast cloth and get the same result...hence the "stun Run through". As to the question is it neccessarry I personally prefer to roll the ball dead weight but thats just me. It has it's place in the game and if you play it alot it can become a useful shot to have in your game. The time i play this shot most is normally with running side if i am trying to widen an angle to get out to the middle of the table Or to just wide the angle on a pot where the roll trhough might be leaving me closer to the cushion than i'd like.
              i hear you and more power to you.. as for you topping a ball in with running side, your a brave man
              for me the main point is in the word, regardless of the angle. the stun run is the final piece of the cb control puzzle, when your creating angles off 3/4 and 1/2 ball shots with the Ingredients of a sprinkling of stun and run

Comment

Originally Posted by j6uk View Post
                i hear you and more power to you.. as for you topping a ball in with running side, your a brave man
                for me the main point is in the word, regardless of the angle. the stun run is the final piece of the cb control puzzle, when your creating angles off 3/4 and 1/2 ball shots with the Ingredients of a sprinkling of stun and run
                Er thanks not sure I'm brave its just a vital shot that every player worth their salt can play just aiming for the far jaw to allow for the side not that hard . The only thing i'd say to your point is the ball is not going forward as such playing a angled stun so its no "running through" I would say its usually going up or down the table depending on the angle hence "stun up" or "stun down"??

Comment

Originally Posted by dcrackers147 View Post
                  Er thanks not sure I'm brave its just a vital shot that every player worth their salt can play just aiming for the far jaw to allow for the side not that hard . The only thing i'd say to your point is the ball is not going forward as such playing a angled stun so its no "running through" I would say its usually going up or down the table depending on the angle hence "stun up" or "stun down"??
                  i don't use side that much and when so its little flicks here and there so a run through with side is a big shot, unless im just off straight on a color.
                  you like saying stun up and down and you could be on the same page as me, the white is physically stopping hence the word stun and then rotating

Comment

I actually prefer to stun about 70 percent of my shots...I find it easier to pot balls in a more confident and positive way with the stun. Especially if im under a lot of pressure, I dont think I could slow roll a ball without making a technical error. Great question btw.

Comment

• I had the perfect shot last night that shows why the stun shot is needed.
                      blue and pink close together down the black ind of the table white up near baulk theres no way your deep screwing on these tables and to play a dead wait shot is out of the question stunned a long blue in, ran just past the pink for it in to middle.

Comment

• The very best slow roll/dead weight player has got to be Mark Williams, right?
                        Even he plays stun run through a lot. Which means the shot is indeed 100% necessary.

Comment

Working...
                        X