Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Is the Stun run Thru ever actually 100% necessary?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

sods law tho if you did you would get there and conditions would be perfect ! lol

Comment

I tend to punch it' when i play stun and stun run - through

would you play it the same way assuming you know what i mean ?
      To be honest, on a decent table... No, never.

But...

As already mentioned when you play with dead balls (lol, he said balls) and clothes that are unresponsive sometimes the only way to execute the shot at all is with that type of punchy stroke.

This irritates me. although I can obviously adapt, when you spend hours of each week playing on proper conditions you come to play this shot on one of the aforementioned poorer tables and you come unstuck no matter what your skill level...

Poor clothes and poor balls can cause you to use a more punchy action as it really is the only way to generate the correct spin. Poor equipment promotes bad cueing.

Comment

maybe this is why ADR147 is struggling with this particular shot?

When I play under bad conditions as mentioned rather than a stun run I would either simply roll it in with top or punch it as described but I do forget sometimes - and it does annoy when you see the white come back or not move rather than stun through as it should.

Comment

To be honest I do'nt have a problem with punching stun or stun/run shots, I tend to punch most of them on any table, but that is just what I am comfortable doing, if somebody else is'nt then thats fine.

Comment

Thank guys I got my excuses sorted for tonight's league match

Comment

pottr:

I can see how 'cloths' can effect things, but I've never had the experience of my 'clothes' effecting my playing (except of course when my Y-fronts are too tight, then it's painful sometimes)!

Terry
              Terry Davidson
              IBSF Master Coach & Examiner

Comment

I think ADR's comment was that he uses it when he wants to alter the white's path and I forgot to comment on this.

I think what he's doing it slightly jumping the white into the OB to create a touch more positional angle whilst the OB maintains the same line of pot.

You have to hit the white in a similar spot on the white, but definitely with a more forceful if not punchy action.

Comment

I can see how 'cloths' can effect things, but I've never had the experience of my 'clothes' effecting my playing (except of course when my Y-fronts are too tight, then it's painful sometimes)!
                  HAHAHAHA!

A thousand apologies for the slip in my vocabulary

I was speaking about the times I play dressed as the construction worker from the Village People... x

Comment

Typical Terry ! we were all being far too polite to mention that !

Comment

I think Byrom is right about terminolgy, and pottr is right that certain descriptions don't translate from the page. For a start loose means not tight and lose is the opposite of win.

To punch a ball in though would one use a jab thrown from the elbow or a hook or uppercut thrown from the shoulder

I can play the almost stop run through that only goes forward about two inches after impact, that's basically failing to stop it, what I can't play is the one where the cue ball runs through about three feet after impact when the shot is struck rather hard. I know how to play it but fail miserably, and as for using stun run through to widen or narrow an angle, well that's what side is for in my book where I learned on slow heavy cloths and dirty balls in damp rooms where I still play btw.

Never heard of perfect conditions to be honest, conditions are different every time I go down the club. Chucking it down with rain at the mo so tonight it will be very heavy going and kick city arizona in the match room.

Comment

Great reading, just what i like about snooker, finding a way to get where you need to be, stun is a great tool to do this, dont always succeed but know it is possible, there is always a different way to get there but being able to determine the best route is always a challenge, I guess that is why we all hate a dead on shot it kind of restricts are movement and options, I guess being right on the rail and dead straight is even worst. Cheers
                        I try hard, play hard and dont always succeed, at first.!!!!:snooker:

Comment

I think leo had a point earlier in that this is a shot we all play without giving it too much though.
                          https://www.ebay.co.uk/str/adr147

Comment

Originally Posted by ADR147 View Post
                            I think leo had a point earlier in that this is a shot we all play without giving it too much though.
                            I feel another apology coming - but to be fair you probably were not giving it too much thought!

Comment

I think we all want to build our arsenal of weapons to acheive are goal of snooker supremacy.
                              I try hard, play hard and dont always succeed, at first.!!!!:snooker:

Comment

Originally Posted by DG GIBERT View Post
                                I feel another apology coming - but to be fair you probably were not giving it too much thought!
                                I never give anything too much thought - I live like a juggler with everything up in the air!
                                https://www.ebay.co.uk/str/adr147

Comment

Working...
                                X