This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally Posted by old school View Post
    Sorry , Jason , no such thing as standard . I would suggest your parameters be 55 1/2 " - 57 1/2 " , 7.5 mm - 9 .25 mm and 15 - 17 oz . This would cover a lot of pool players and could double as a snooker cue as well . My lightest cue is 12 1/2 oz and that is a 3/4 with a butt joint as well , would be around 10 - 11 oz without the brass in the joints , this cue comes out when I want to put more action on a cue ball and I am feeling lazy or a fast cloth and " touch " pool i.e. playing old rules and sneaking up behind balls for snookers . Nothing wrong with lighter cues , in fact I prefer them because I am an advocate of tip speed being more important than weight in the break off shot in World Rules English pool . Love your work by the way , butterfly Wenge still going strong .
    cheers for that mick, need to be more tuned in to the players to get a feel for what their after.. but really enjoy making these pool cues..

back to snooker cues for a moment, i spent the morning moving planks around and managed to dig out what i believe to be a nice piece of maple 8' long. after cutting i will give them time to settle then, take them through the necessary stages to get them cue shaped. should be ready for splicing mid-end of the summer.

Last edited by j6uk; 25 May 2017, 09:45 PM.

Comment

• and some ash at 10' long, this is half of that piece

Comment

• Originally Posted by j6uk View Post
        and some ash at 10' long, this is half of that piece

I like the look the planks, the ash looks great. When I eventually develop the skills to make a good cue I will be hoping one day to get hold of a good ash board or two.

Your cues are looking great.

Comment

• as much as i like the end product with the look feel and play of a hand made cue, and the pressure of getting the cue to the right specs. this part of the processes is the most exciting. searching choosing cutting the wood, and then shaping the shafts

Comment

Sorry , Jason , no such thing as standard . I would suggest your parameters be 55 1/2 " - 57 1/2 " , 7.5 mm - 9 .25 mm and 15 - 17 oz . This would cover a lot of pool players and could double as a snooker cue as well . My lightest cue is 12 1/2 oz and that is a 3/4 with a butt joint as well , would be around 10 - 11 oz without the brass in the joints , this cue comes out when I want to put more action on a cue ball and I am feeling lazy or a fast cloth and " touch " pool i.e. playing old rules and sneaking up behind balls for snookers . Nothing wrong with lighter cues , in fact I prefer them because I am an advocate of tip speed being more important than weight in the break off shot in World Rules English pool . Love your work by the way , butterfly Wenge still going strong .
            Old school is about right and some will go up to 18oz.
            Few friends I know play with smaller tips (smallest being 5.5mm) but you will not find many that go past 7.5mm.
            Some I know, will use they cue for pool and snooker and will be round 9mm.
            For that one you've always wanted...
            https://www.facebook.com/ninjacues/

Comment

• Years of experience , playing in the best leagues in the country give you an insight into the pool world , thats for sure . Staffordshire and particularly Stoke - on - Trent have dominated massively in the past at National and Inter League levels as well as producing multiple World and European title holders both Junior and Senior as well as winning in the over 50 s categories . Jason produces really good cues and I hope he continues to do so , would nt mind trying a Maple from him in the Autumn , after the timber has settled a bit.

Comment

Years of experience , playing in the best leagues in the country give you an insight into the pool world , thats for sure . Staffordshire and particularly Stoke - on - Trent have dominated massively in the past at National and Inter League levels as well as producing multiple World and European title holders both Junior and Senior as well as winning in the over 50 s categories . Jason produces really good cues and I hope he continues to do so , would nt mind trying a Maple from him in the Autumn , after the timber has settled a bit.
                Have a lot of years under my belt too but more blackball the last few years.
                Will be at Blackpool next month too.
                Would fault Jason's cues at all and if I didn't make my own, I would be looking his way for one.
                Understand the love and pain that goes into making them..
                For that one you've always wanted...
                https://www.facebook.com/ninjacues/

Comment

tucked into one piece of the maple last night, couldnt resist. picked one closest to the bark thinking it shouldnt move too much. its actually cut from the left side of the plank above.
                  now let it rest on the step for a few weeks

Comment

• hi all
                    ive been looking at some ash to have a go at my first cue. The timber stockists in my area only stock American ash. is this suitable for making a snooker cue or does it need to be English/European ash.
                    look forward to your reply
                    cheers

Comment

• last few pics until i start splicing the first maple

Comment

still some fine work to be done otherwise these two are pretty much ready for the table..
                        top cue is a two tone babinga purple heart with white ash, bottom is wenge and vintage olive colored ash.

Tried a hit with the pool cues yet?

Comment

• Originally Posted by foss13 View Post
                          Tried a hit with the pool cues yet?

not had a chance, they should be on the baize tuesday morning.. got a butt joint n the wenge and vintage so something extra added to the process.

Comment

• cue review

wenge & vintage ash
                            18bp
                            14.5oz

https://youtu.be/zZWYTg-09gE

Comment

cue review

Cheers
                              wenge & vintage ash
                              18bp
                              14.5oz

https://youtu.be/zZWYTg-09gE

Another excellent cue and review, keep up the good work
                              Last edited by foss13; 30 May 2017, 10:53 AM.

Comment

• very nice

did you get a lathe, for the joints & mini butts.

Comment

Working...
                                X