Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

This fella must be making a few quid.

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • #31
    Originally posted by Leo View Post
    What is handmade in the rule book it could be anything, nothing anywhere states that by law a cuemaker putting a handmade badge on a cue has to be completely made by the maker himself, or it could be classed as handmade if it's bought in and spliced up by hand by the maker. No different to supermarkets with their clever marketing on oversea meats
    I don't think this argument stands up at all, they can't say sirloin steak and give you horsemeat, oh wait again
    If bought in it should be made clear, by customised or hand spliced by, so and so on the badge,not passed on as a genuine hand made cue by that maker, I know others have different views but I just couldn't or wouldn't put my name to something I didn't make ,it would feel like I was cheating the person who bought it, but that's me and maybe a bit naive in today's world.
    This is how you play darts ,MVG two nines in the same match!
    https://youtu.be/yqTGtwOpHu8

    Comment


    • #32
      Originally posted by itsnoteasy View Post
      I don't think this argument stands up at all, they can't say sirloin steak and give you horsemeat, oh wait again
      If bought in it should be made clear, by customised or hand spliced by, so and so on the badge,not passed on as a genuine hand made cue by that maker, I know others have different views but I just couldn't or wouldn't put my name to something I didn't make ,it would feel like I was cheating the person who bought it, but that's me and maybe a bit naive in today's world.
      Nicely skirting around the issue that certain people are clearly hinting that they know exactly who's doing this... but not sharing that info. Makes them complicit?
      ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
      Old cue collector --
      Cue Sales: http://oldcues.co.uk/index.php?id=for_sale_specials
      (yes I know they're not cheap, I didn't intend them to be!..)
      ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

      Comment


      • #33
        Originally posted by itsnoteasy View Post
        I don't think this argument stands up at all, they can't say sirloin steak and give you horsemeat, oh wait again
        If bought in it should be made clear, by customised or hand spliced by, so and so on the badge,not passed on as a genuine hand made cue by that maker, I know others have different views but I just couldn't or wouldn't put my name to something I didn't make ,it would feel like I was cheating the person who bought it, but that's me and maybe a bit naive in today's world.
        No actually I was talking about the food labelling meat products badged up as British farmed when it's not.

        Comment


        • #34
          Originally posted by svendh View Post
          I think it's worse because it's not his name he's putting on the cues

          I see your point, and yes, I'd have to agree I guess. I suppose he is effectively riding on the names of others to make increased (and arguably dishonest) profit.

          The post below gives us another perspective though doesn't it.

          It's a tricky one, but it's clearly not right no matter how we view it.

          Comment


          • #35
            Originally posted by perpetualboredom View Post
            At least Chrispian named names (even if he was wrong..).
            All Trevor and Dave have done for the last few months is drop hints that every other cue maker is doing it and that if you want a real cue you have to wait two years and buy from them.
            As I said in one of the other threads, if you're 100% sure who does this, then grow a pair and name them - there's no come back for stating the truth.. But I find all this bitching about 'unnamed' people doing it a bit tiresome.
            Get it all out - it'll make you feel better, or stop moaning about it as you obviously don't care enough to do something about it.

            I have to say Mike, many of your posts make sense and have value, but this one is a little wide of the mark.

            Please point everyone to the posts where I suggest that if people want a "real" cue (whatever that is) they have to wait two years and buy from Dave / Myself.

            My response to that point alone would be this...... I NEVER use this website to self promote. Furthermore, I have not even taken any work on for the last 12 months and have actually been turning it away.

            I have NEVER suggested EVERY other cue maker is doing this. However, some certainly are and have been for some time. There are those who are more established and those who are new to it. It's not my job to name people, and neither do I have any inclination to do so. Does it bother me.?...yes it does. would it benefit me to name names, no it wouldn't.

            Finally, I wouldn't necessarily call my posts "bitching", although you are entitled to view it, and call it, as you wish and that's fine with me.

            Happy new year to you anyway.

            Comment


            • #36
              Originally posted by perpetualboredom View Post
              Nicely skirting around the issue that certain people are clearly hinting that they know exactly who's doing this... but not sharing that info. Makes them complicit?
              Oh, and this is even sillier.

              Complicity through silence.?....That's reaching a bit now isn't it.?

              There are so many analogies that come to mind that enable me to refute such a claim it's ridiculous. You must see that right.?

              Comment


              • #37
                Originally posted by trevs1 View Post
                ... would it benefit me to name names, no it wouldn't. ....

                ......Happy new year to you anyway.
                It would benefit us tho Trev
                Happy New Year to you too

                Comment


                • #38
                  Perhaps, but as I said above, it's not for me to do that, even if I had the inclination to get involved.

                  My post was in response to Perpetualboredom's assertion that the reason behind my posts was to steer people towards "real" cues from Dave or myself.

                  Comment


                  • #39
                    would it benefit me to name names, no it wouldn't.
                    Or of course there is no names, and it was just a malicious rumour that started somewhere which has no clout.

                    And if there is names it would only be the very top cuemakers so to speak which are-

                    TW
                    parris
                    Coutts
                    Wooldridge
                    Crispian
                    Stamford
                    Cook

                    Comment


                    • #40
                      Quite sad actually when people can't be honest about there work and are dishonest to there customers, especially when said customers are very happy with the product just wish to know whether its a product made from scratch or if its been brought in and then added on

                      Comment


                      • #41
                        I would like to say to people if i showed you a piece of 2x2 and a Thai shaft with great arrows which would you pick,lol

                        Comment


                        • #42
                          Originally posted by Leo View Post
                          Or of course there is no names, and it was just a malicious rumour that started somewhere which has no clout.

                          And if there is names it would only be the very top cuemakers so to speak which are-

                          TW
                          parris
                          Coutts
                          Wooldridge
                          Crispian
                          Stamford
                          Cook


                          Leo,

                          Usually I try to be diplomatic and avoid blunt posting, but, I'll pass up on my own rule for this one occasion.

                          This forum needs people like you, because you are opinionated, argumentative and narrow minded. That always encourages debate and disagreement, which is what forums thrive on, even though on many occasions it may well be of no substance. However, that in itself does not mean you are interesting or correct in many of your views, assumptions or advice. In fact, I'd go so far to say that at times, you expose yourself to be a bit of a moron.

                          The post above kind of proves that.
                          Last edited by trevs1; 27th December 2014, 12:02 PM.

                          Comment


                          • #43
                            Originally posted by jim evans View Post
                            I would like to say to people if i showed you a piece of 2x2 and a Thai shaft with great arrows which would you pick,lol

                            That's not what it's about though Jim.

                            It's about the integrity of a product, how it was produced, what profit is made by those in the chain of production and whether some within that chain benefit through varying degrees of misleading means.

                            Quality is not the issue, but, if it were, it may well be interesting to gauge how well some could produce that same product if they had to do so without buying pre-made.

                            Anyhow, enough from me on this.

                            Comment


                            • #44
                              Originally posted by trevs1 View Post
                              Leo,

                              Usually I try to be diplomatic and avoid blunt posting, but, I'll pass up on my own rule for this one occasion.

                              This forum needs people like you, because you are opinionated, argumentative and narrow minded. That always encourages debate and disagreement, even though on many occasions it may well be of no substance. However, that in itself does not mean you are interesting or correct in many of your views, assumptions or advice. In fact, I'd go so far to say that at times, you expose yourself to be a bit of a moron.

                              The post above kind of proves that.

                              If I
                              Ok no worries fair enough just wanted to establish the truth for the benefit of those who have been paying good money for handmade cues which might not be all it seems.

                              Comment


                              • #45
                                Originally posted by Leo View Post
                                Ok no worries fair enough just wanted to establish the truth for the benefit of those who have been paying good money for handmade cues which might not be all it seems.
                                Yes Leo, that's exactly the issue.

                                I can tell you that I am not in that group, and I would argue that some others above aren't either.

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                X