This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally Posted by Bulkie View Post
    Are u using the blade in a downward only motion? Or are you slicing it sideways as well?
    Erm. I'm using the blade in a downward only motion. That was what's shown in ADR's guide.

Comment

• Originally Posted by x3dnd3x View Post
      Erm. I'm using the blade in a downward only motion. That was what's shown in ADR's guide.
      Might be worth trying to trim the tip in small amounts. I suspect you are trying to take off too big a chunk in every motion.

Comment

Might be worth trying to trim the tip in small amounts. I suspect you are trying to take off too big a chunk in every motion.
        What's the sideways technique? Erm, my ferrule is 9.5mm while this Kamui tip is 14mm. I'm trying to trim out the excess like a square shape then slowly trim again.

So I should just trim bit by bit from outside towards the ferrule? What I'm doing now is trying to slice through the excess from the ferrule down.

Comment

• Try peeling it like an apple from the outside edge of the tip and see how that goes.

Comment

• Try doing it like this.

Might look tricky, but with a really sharp blade it's very easy if you take your time.

Here.....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9N-hmyBxNn0

Comment

What's the sideways technique? Erm, my ferrule is 9.5mm while this Kamui tip is 14mm. I'm trying to trim out the excess like a square shape then slowly trim again.

So I should just trim bit by bit from outside towards the ferrule? What I'm doing now is trying to slice through the excess from the ferrule down.
              Nonono never trim from outside towards the ferrule. That will damage the tip.

Trimming it slowly, bit by bit in a downward motion, as little as you can for starters. Do this till the tip is flushed with the ferrule (assuming you do not want a mushroom tip).

Comment

• Originally Posted by trevs1 View Post
                Try doing it like this.

Might look tricky, but with a really sharp blade it's very easy if you take your time.

Here.....

Ohh. I'll try this later. But my tip is a 14mm one on a 9.5mm ferrule. I just place the blade and turn the cue?

Comment

Nonono never trim from outside towards the ferrule. That will damage the tip.

Trimming it slowly, bit by bit in a downward motion, as little as you can for starters. Do this till the tip is flushed with the ferrule (assuming you do not want a mushroom tip).
                  Hmm.

But the main issue I'm facing is that I'm unable to slice through. The tip is rock hard.

Comment

• Originally Posted by The Doctor View Post
                    As Andrew says, a scalpel is best but if its too expensive, then a simple Stanley knife or box cutter should do the trick no problem. My experience in tip fitting has told me that Talismans are a bit harder to cut than kamui.
                    Forget about pen knives and get a Stanley blade. A sharp new one will do the trick no problem.

Sound advice there.

This is what I use, very handy thing to have.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/SWANN-MORT...ht_2223wt_1111

Comment

• Originally Posted by trevs1 View Post
                      Try doing it like this.

Here.....

Bit of a sigh at the end there Trev..

Comment

• Originally Posted by Inoffthered View Post
                        Bit of a sigh at the end there Trev..
                        it's old age!
                        https://www.ebay.co.uk/str/adr147

Comment

• I just retip my cue successfully. I tried Trev's method but I couldn't turn as smoothly thus I slowly sliced it bit by bit. Can't imagine the sun is already up. When I started, it was still dark at 2am. LoL.

Is the tip okay? Sorry for the blur image. Its taken from my handphone with my shaky hands.

IMG-20120819-WA0000.jpg

Comment

I just retip my cue successfully. I tried Trev's method but I couldn't turn as smoothly thus I slowly sliced it bit by bit. Can't imagine the sun is already up. When I started, it was still dark at 2am. LoL.

Is the tip okay? Sorry for the blur image. Its taken from my handphone with my shaky hands.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]11571[/ATTACH]
                            Tip looks fine m8, I'd be happy with that on my cue. What brand of tip did you use?

Comment

• Originally Posted by Inoffthered View Post
                              Tip looks fine m8, I'd be happy with that on my cue. What brand of tip did you use?
                              Its a Kamui tan medium. Its suppose to be a pool tip but I sanded the 10 layers to 5. It was free from my friend so might as well try it out. Used to be using Tailsman medium.

Comment

• trevors method is what i imagine all the cue makers use but it does require a degree of practise!
                                https://www.ebay.co.uk/str/adr147

Comment

Working...
                                X