Tip of choice

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hi all,,
    Back in the day down in the club it was either Blue Diamond or Elkmaster and that was it .
    I used to play with Elkmaster and I can’t even remember why .
    This would have been the bog standard club ones and I never had any issues apart from the odd one going spongy.
    Do the current EM play like the old ones ?, if not what brand would you recommend ?.

What I remember is once a new tip was put on it took a while for it to harden up to the degree I liked so I guess I prefer a hardish tip. In fact I remember taking off tips from the clubs rack cues so I could get one that had been played in a bit

Comment

Originally Posted by Starsky View Post
      Hi all,,
      Back in the day down in the club it was either Blue Diamond or Elkmaster and that was it .
      I used to play with Elkmaster and I can’t even remember why .
      This would have been the bog standard club ones and I never had any issues apart from the odd one going spongy.
      Do the current EM play like the old ones ?, if not what brand would you recommend ?.

What I remember is once a new tip was put on it took a while for it to harden up to the degree I liked so I guess I prefer a hardish tip. In fact I remember taking off tips from the clubs rack cues so I could get one that had been played in a bit
      I went round this whole loop of trying new tips Starsky as there are dozens these days. Its a pain in the back side, and I recommend avoiding trying all of them. Its a hole many have fallen into on here including myself to a degree.

The elks these days vary in quality and are not as good as back in the day generally speaking. The ratio of good ones in a box of 50 is said to be about a 3rd these days, so its its a lottery each time you put one on.

I really recommend Century tips, they come in 3 (Or maybe 4?) grades with 1 being the softest. They come with guaranteed consistency so each time you buy the same grade it will play the same. I think they are the closest to a good elk.
      ⚪ 🔴🟡🟢🟤🔵💗⚫🕳️😎

Comment

Originally Posted by Cue crafty View Post

I went round this whole loop of trying new tips Starsky as there are dozens these days. Its a pain in the back side, and I recommend avoiding trying all of them. Its a hole many have fallen into on here including myself to a degree.

The elks these days vary in quality and are not as good as back in the day generally speaking. The ratio of good ones in a box of 50 is said to be about a 3rd these days, so its its a lottery each time you put one on.

I really recommend Century tips, they come in 3 (Or maybe 4?) grades with 1 being the softest. They come with guaranteed consistency so each time you buy the same grade it will play the same. I think they are the closest to a good elk.
        Hi CueCrafty,

Thanks for the tip .

Your right , I’m trying to avoid falling into that hole as you say.

One in three on the Elks is very poor consistency . I will give the century’s a go .

Comment

Originally Posted by arsalanjami View Post
          Recently ordered 3 Talisman Medium 11mm tips from the John Parrott website. Shipment was cheap for Canada so went with them.
          it left back in mid Feb from the UK and I just received the package this week!

Anyway - I have never seen Talisman (the old style, not trinity) come in a dark version. The ones I have used in the past have all been light cream color and made out of pig skin.
          Not sure if these are the same. The color is sort of dark blueish and the bottom has a "Talisman M" in gold imprinted.
          I do see some online with a similar look.

Are they the same but different color? Going to try one out this week.

Cheers
          Maybe I posted in the wrong thread; got replies but no answers .

Question - Talisman Snooker Tips - do these always come in a gold color or do they also have a dark version? In the past - I always got the golden tip but this time received a dark version.
          Plays quite similar so not worried but just curious.
          Cheers

Comment

Question - Talisman Snooker Tips - do these always come in a gold color or do they also have a dark version? In the past - I always got the golden tip but this time received a dark version.
            Cheers
            Found these on eBay so I guess you can get black ones.
            https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Talisman-...4383.l4275.c10
            This is how you play darts ,MVG two nines in the same match!
            https://youtu.be/yqTGtwOpHu8

Comment

Originally Posted by itsnoteasy View Post

Found these on eBay so I guess you can get black ones.
              https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Talisman-...4383.l4275.c10
              That's the one. Wonder why it changed from beige to black.

Cheers

Comment

That's the one. Wonder why it changed from beige to black.

Cheers
                I don't know but I do remember ADR made a tan tip but had to change to black but I forget the reason for it. He might come on and tell us again.
                This is how you play darts ,MVG two nines in the same match!
                https://youtu.be/yqTGtwOpHu8

Comment

If u are looking for compressed tips then Legends is the best u can find. Very consistent and easy to cut, shape and burnish.
                  Amongst laminated tips my choice is definitely ADR tip followed by Talisman (provided they don’t delaminate while shaping) and Navigator tips.

Comment

Cheers
                    The Talismans I used were a dark brown and were made from water buffalo hide. I tried a few other laminated tips for snooker but I must agree with the many other people who said that the laminated tips caused miscues or kicks on snooker sized balls. The glue lines on the top layers were believed to be the culprit. I used Moori's on larger, heavier American pool balls and thought they were great. I haven't used the Century, Adr's,Regencies, or pro elks yet. I have heard that a lot of professionals are going back to regular Elk Masters because they can play all the shots.

Comment

I’ve used normal Elkmaster for years and years ,occasionally I get a bad or iffy one out the box ,but it’s no big deal ,just put a new one on .A good Elk is still as good as anything ,cheap as chips and proven over the years .

Comment

Originally Posted by mikee View Post
                        I’ve used normal Elkmaster for years and years ,occasionally I get a bad or iffy one out the box ,but it’s no big deal ,just put a new one on .A good Elk is still as good as anything ,cheap as chips and proven over the years .
                        I used Elks in the days when there was very little choice. Occasionally used blue diamond. Must have been 10 years ago or thereabouts when I got 2 bad Elks in a row. Cracked me up. Moved to Mike Woolridge Supertips and been very happy. Had a try with those Elk Pros but wasn’t impressed. Not really interested in trying all the tips that are available… there’s far too many. If it ain’t broke don’t fix it.

Comment

Originally Posted by itsnoteasy View Post

I don't know but I do remember ADR made a tan tip but had to change to black but I forget the reason for it. He might come on and tell us again.
                          Mine was due to them not having the tan leather in the right quality at the time, in the case of Talisman it is a totally different material.
                          https://www.ebay.co.uk/str/adr147

Comment

Originally Posted by ADR147 View Post

Mine was due to them not having the tan leather in the right quality at the time, in the case of Talisman it is a totally different material.
                            Ask Das Lowe for some Tom tips. I'd love to know what you think of them, best tips I've used since playing again in 2015.
                            ⚪ 🔴🟡🟢🟤🔵💗⚫🕳️😎

Comment

Originally Posted by Cue crafty View Post

Ask Das Lowe for some Tom tips. I'd love to know what you think of them, best tips I've used since playing again in 2015.
                              I know tom
                              https://www.ebay.co.uk/str/adr147

Comment

Originally Posted by ADR147 View Post

I know tom
                                No surprise I guess Andrew, I'm sure you know exactly how decent those tips are then.
                                ⚪ 🔴🟡🟢🟤🔵💗⚫🕳️😎

Comment

Working...
                                X