X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally Posted by Qubit View Post
    I gave Mike the idea years ago:

http://www.thesnookerforum.com/board...449#post341449

lol - only kidding Mike! Looks very cool, might just have to try one out. Im just getting back into some cue repairs/making so this obviously looks quite intriguing!
    lol. looks like jim's been doing some revision
    The Cuefather.

info@handmadecues.com

Comment

i thought about it a few wks ago but i cant do anything intricate in my old lathe it just rips small things apart might get my mate to do the drilling on his lathe

Comment

When it comes to re-tipping with the new ferrule, do you have to be any more careful than normal not to cut or scratch the sides/top/edge of the ferrule? Its wont chip or cut easily?
        Unclevit C Brand - CueGuru Tip.

Comment

Originally Posted by MikeWooldridge View Post
          Yes I could, but I am 'shut' right now while I catch up on orders. When shop re-opens, I should be in a position to do this, although I do hate making extra shafts for cues...
          OK, well I guess I should check the shop in a month or so or just wait on the forums to see updates on when you can do this for me? As a side benefit, when/if I send you the cue, you will get to see the late Tom Gauthier's workmanship and how he did his joints (he replicated Brunswick Trophy joints).

I'm puzzled why your cue sounds funny though. Maybe it's not quite fitted solidly. Do you know exactly what that material is on your cue?
          I believe it's just a standard black fibre ferrule that you will have seen before. It's an Ash shaft. I know the shaft isn't original to the cue and the cue doesn't roll straight on the table (but the shaft rolls true on it's own). I'm pretty sure the shaft isn't mating perfectly to the butt so it's either an improper fit or just a badly seated tip.

Thanks Mike.
          Mayur Jobanputra, Snooker Coach and Snooker Enthusiast
          My Snooker Blog: www.snookerdelight.com

Comment

Mike, forgot to ask, how much will it cost to have one of these fitted? :snooker:
            "You have to play the game like it means nothing, when in fact it means everything to you" Steve Davis.

Comment

Originally Posted by jim evans View Post
              i thought about it a few wks ago but i cant do anything intricate in my old lathe it just rips small things apart might get my mate to do the drilling on his lathe
              think i better put this better i didnt think of the idea something similar was bandied about in the post about the tip throwing the white as such but i did think about trying to drill down the tip part of shaft and insering a 6mm core of ebony which was talked about to try and see if it made a differance

Comment

Mike Wooldridge - *NEW* 'BlackSpin' Ferrule System

Is there a minimum size you can do these in mike?
                Just wondering if you're limited to just snooker cues due to drilling down the shaft, or can pool spec cues be done as well?

Comment

clever........

Comment

lol. no. it's difficult to convey the difference that the thing you can't actually see does/makes.

it becomes apparent only in use.

trust me, it does something special and breathes life into any cue. kind of turbo charges what you already have.

ebony is a bit brittle jim, i wouldn't trust it.

no length loss apart from if existing ferrule height is actually longer. but no more than a couple mm.

it's pretty tough so wire wool will not cause any problems. in fact, it's far easier to keep looking nice than brass.

yeah, something like that.

you are correct about the 'spread' of energy, a crucial part of the design.

my initial 'eureka' moment involved the principle and basic design, and an educated guess led me to the materials. you could call the result lucky, but i had a gut feeling, and i knew as soon as i tested it that i had stumbled on quite possibly the 'holy grail'

you're right, it is a very clever, yet relatively simple, engineering design.

like all good things, it's the easy things that nobody thought of, that often become the best thing ever.

Mike is the "re-tipping" process will still be same as the old ways? Or the users have to pay extra attention when they doing it?
                    And compare to brass ferrule the Blackspin is stiffer or softer? Please let me know.

Bowen

Comment

I would also like to add ,after having looked at the page on your website about this ferrule, that your website is one of the best on the web. It's incredibly informative and a very interesting read, especially for people who may not have the best knowledge of cues as it explains all! Hadn't really looked at it before, but now I have I'd look again. Just thought I'd say :snooker:
                      "You have to play the game like it means nothing, when in fact it means everything to you" Steve Davis.

Comment

Originally Posted by willtyson View Post
                        Mike, forgot to ask, how much will it cost to have one of these fitted? :snooker:
                        will be in shop when i re-open. i haven't decided yet.

Originally Posted by Mick Dundee View Post
                        Is there a minimum size you can do these in mike?
                        Just wondering if you're limited to just snooker cues due to drilling down the shaft, or can pool spec cues be done as well?
                        pool and snooker sizes.

although with pool i do not like doing below 8.5mm but at a push i'll go to 8mm

Originally Posted by superman32 View Post
                        Mike is the "re-tipping" process will still be same as the old ways? Or the users have to pay extra attention when they doing it?
                        And compare to brass ferrule the Blackspin is stiffer or softer? Please let me know.

Bowen
                        same process. the material is very tough but like brass, you do need to be careful when you use a sharp blade to remove bits of tip.

but basically, exactly the same. take care whatever material your ferrule is.

Originally Posted by willtyson View Post
                        I would also like to add ,after having looked at the page on your website about this ferrule, that your website is one of the best on the web. It's incredibly informative and a very interesting read, especially for people who may not have the best knowledge of cues as it explains all! Hadn't really looked at it before, but now I have I'd look again. Just thought I'd say :snooker:
                        thanks. it took a lot of work.
                        The Cuefather.

info@handmadecues.com

Comment

are you going to branch out into other colours or is it just black???

thinking if you could do a natural wood look colour on them....

Comment

Originally Posted by andy carson View Post
                            are you going to branch out into other colours or is it just black???

thinking if you could do a natural wood look colour on them....
                            no. i like black. i also like the way the tip 'stands out' when sighting the cue ball.

try it. wrap a little bit of black tape around your ferrule. you'll be surprised how much clearer it makes the cue ball contact.
                            The Cuefather.

info@handmadecues.com

Comment

.....try it. wrap a little bit of black tape around your ferrule. you'll be surprised how much clearer it makes the cue ball contact.
                              You may have just done yourself out of a few jobs there Mike, sounds like a Easter weekend plan

Comment

no. i like black. i also like the way the tip 'stands out' when sighting the cue ball.

try it. wrap a little bit of black tape around your ferrule. you'll be surprised how much clearer it makes the cue ball contact.
                                will give it a try next time im at the club.... (and its quiet ) if it works might have to get the black marker out and do some colouring in on the ferrule

Comment

Working...
                                X