What's the length J6?

Comment

• its gone from 57.75 to 57 for the cat
      Originally Posted by Master Blaster View Post
      What's the length J6?

Comment

• Originally Posted by j6uk View Post
        its gone from 57.75 to 57 for the cat
        Damn. 57.75 is the ideal length for a 6 footer.

Comment

• maybe, although i use a 57 an im 6'4
          Damn. 57.75 is the ideal length for a 6 footer.

Comment

• the work place is taking on a new look, a bit of scientific management

Comment

• That room is looking nice bruv. Likin you homemade bench as well. Some cue makers spend a fortune on kit and here you are doin all yourself. Hand planed, hand made. Fo real!

Comment

• Originally Posted by Master Blaster View Post
                That room is looking nice bruv. Likin you homemade bench as well. Some cue makers spend a fortune on kit and here you are doin all yourself. Hand planed, hand made. Fo real!
                WPBSA Level 2 - 1st4Sport Coach
                Available for personalised one-to-one coaching sessions
                --------------------------------------------------------------------

Comment

• Originally Posted by tedisbill View Post
                  We're making oak doors for my 18th C grade 1 house this week, and next week and probably for about three months. They have to be hand made from air dried oak, no kiln crap is going on my frames, it wouldn't pass the tests anyway. Takes the best part of a week to make one door and one frame, it's an expensive business, over a grand each we reckon. That's why I admire what you do because I'm using a plane, mallet and chisel and making these 18 C joints so that the replacement doors are identical. It's a lot more work than a cue and the joints are far harder technically than splicing some hardwood with pva onto an ash blank with clamps. But what I like about you, Jawes and TW etc is that you are doing this work yourselves, with planes. Your cue didn't fly in from Bangkok and neither did my doors. Made in Britain, the traditional way by people who care. ;-)

Comment

• What is "18th C grade 1" house? Never heard of this terminology before. Maybe because I'm in Canada.
                    The bitter taste of poor quality remains long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten.

Comment

• 18th Century = circa 1700-1799
                      grade 1 listed house = you cant do much with it (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Listed_...ant_to_listing)

found this quote
                      "Grade I: These are buildings of exceptional special interest, although they are not necessarily the most 'splendid' or prestigious."
                      Last edited by DeanH; 30 May 2015, 02:22 PM.
                      Up the TSF! :snooker:

Comment

• MASTER BLASTER. If u know nothing on wood fibre morphology or on theory of drying please stop going on about air dried wood being superior than kiln dried. Wood will always reach equilibrium with environment moisture irrespective of it being kiln or air dried. Also kiln dried timber most certainly is not damaged during drying in a kiln at a cell level. Having worked at a timber mill and having had research conducted by our company in this regards I can say very easily that the claim that air dried wood is superior is rubbish. Again there are some who claim otherwise but years in the pulp and paper environment has taught me otherwise. Each to his own. J6 not to hijack your thread your work is evolving beautifully. Not hear to start an argument. But airdried bit is getting tiresome
                        We're making oak doors for my 18th C grade 1 house this week, and next week and probably for about three months. They have to be hand made from air dried oak, no kiln crap is going on my frames, it wouldn't pass the tests anyway. Takes the best part of a week to make one door and one frame, it's an expensive business, over a grand each we reckon. That's why I admire what you do because I'm using a plane, mallet and chisel and making these 18 C joints so that the replacement doors are identical. It's a lot more work than a cue and the joints are far harder technically than splicing some hardwood with pva onto an ash blank with clamps. But what I like about you, Jawes and TW etc is that you are doing this work yourselves, with planes. Your cue didn't fly in from Bangkok and neither did my doors. Made in Britain, the traditional way by people who care. ;-)

Comment

• Thanks Dean. Over here we'd call it "Heritage" designation.
                          The bitter taste of poor quality remains long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten.

Comment

• Originally Posted by sanman View Post
                            MASTER BLASTER. If u know nothing on wood fibre morphology or on theory of drying please stop going on about air dried wood being superior than kiln dried. Wood will always reach equilibrium with environment moisture irrespective of it being kiln or air dried. Also kiln dried timber most certainly is not damaged during drying in a kiln at a cell level. Having worked at a timber mill and having had research conducted by our company in this regards I can say very easily that the claim that air dried wood is superior is rubbish. Again there are some who claim otherwise but years in the pulp and paper environment has taught me otherwise. Each to his own. J6 not to hijack your thread your work is evolving beautifully. Not hear to start an argument. But airdried bit is getting tiresome
                            Pulp and Paper: Quite! If you're recycled paper lasts 300 years, come talk to me about the beams in my house that are older than your country. You don't supply timber to bespoke furniture makers, you supply to timber frame house builders who are happy to bang summat up in 8wks. Bespoke furniture makers and craftsmen prefer air-dried and that's a fact. Saffa chippies may prefer your dross for their 'projects' but it wouldn't cut the mustard with English Heritage son, not a bit of it.

Comment

• I considered a witty reposte to this post but hey i GIVE UP. Arguing with the VILLAGE IDIOT means I have to lower myself to his level resorting to insulting natioalities and picking on histories of nations. Just for the record I am sorry again for this post and WILL NOT respond to any post by MB in future. Sorry again J6
                              Pulp and Paper: Quite! If you're recycled paper lasts 300 years, come talk to me about the beams in my house that are older than your country. You don't supply timber to bespoke furniture makers, you supply to timber frame house builders who are happy to bang summat up in 8wks. Bespoke furniture makers and craftsmen prefer air-dried and that's a fact. Saffa chippies may prefer your dross for their 'projects' but it wouldn't cut the mustard with English Heritage son, not a bit of it.
                              Last edited by sanman; 30 May 2015, 06:45 PM.

Comment

• Originally Posted by sanman View Post
                                I considered a witty reposte to this post but hey i GIVE UP. Arguing with the VILLAGE IDIOT idioy means I have to lower myself to his level resorting to insulting natioalities and picking on histories of nations. Just for the record I am sorry again for this post and WILL NOT respond to any post by MB in future. Sorry again J^
                                I think your post was considered, and well thought out. Didn't deserve the reply it got. No place for that in this forum, IMHO

Comment

Working...
                                X