Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Any pics of planing the splices j6uk? I've tried to make a couple of cues from ash blanks and struggle lining up the splice points. Yours all look really great, you seem to have got it down to a fine art!

Comment

• Originally Posted by markz View Post
      Any pics of planing the splices j6uk? I've tried to make a couple of cues from ash blanks and struggle lining up the splice points. Yours all look really great, you seem to have got it down to a fine art!
      is there none on this thread? your looking for short or long main splice cuts?

Comment

• j you need to get some ebony on those cues,they aint that dear pre cut

Comment

• Originally Posted by golferson123 View Post
          j you need to get some ebony on those cues,they aint that dear pre cut
          how much for say a 1.5 x 1.5 x 20" blank? an why do you think i need ebony?

Comment

• Originally Posted by j6uk View Post
            is there none on this thread? your looking for short or long main splice cuts?
            Long main splices please. I'll look through the thread again but was interested in if you use a jig and the technique you use. Think I'm too heavy handed, just think one more pass with plane then I miss my line of points and fighting a losing battle then to get them all level.

Comment

• Originally Posted by markz View Post
              Long main splices please. I'll look through the thread again but was interested in if you use a jig and the technique you use. Think I'm too heavy handed, just think one more pass with plane then I miss my line of points and fighting a losing battle then to get them all level.
              well im like all the others iv found my own way of doing things, but yeah on the long main spices you need to keep your line an pay attention to what your doing. at the same time you might wanna close down the mouth on your plane until you get your desired spice. how many cues you made?

Comment

how much for say a 1.5 x 1.5 x 20" blank? an why do you think i need ebony?
                Buy the splices pre cut and its ebony for the contrast,plus when u buy them clamp em back together into a block until you use them

Comment

Buy the splices pre cut and its ebony for the contrast,plus when u buy them clamp em back together into a block until you use them
                  okay i get it, but do you know how much the ebony costs for a cue ?
                  when you say contrast what your really saying is black looks better than brown or what?

Comment

well im like all the others iv found my own way of doing things, but yeah on the long main spices you need to keep your line an pay attention to what your doing. at the same time you might wanna close down the mouth on your plane until you get your desired spice. how many cues you made?
                    Made 3 but only slightly resemble cues, messed up about 5 more along the way and I was using ebony so expensive mistakes. Only playing around really but wanted to try my hand. Struggled with a slipped disc the last 6 months so I knocked it on the head. Still got few shafts, ebony, few exotics and veneers so might have another attempt. Did do a front splice on one I had part done this week, bit of a Ronnie replica.

Comment

• if you don't mind the ebony having flecks in then you can get 4 splices for £20 but it gets more expensive the blacker it gets

Comment

okay i get it, but do you know how much the ebony costs for a cue ?
                        when you say contrast what your really saying is black looks better than brown or what?
                        Well yes black does look better imo,and lets say you pay thirty pounds for a set of ebony splices it saves you time and one side is planed and ready to go,its not a criticism j and if you have a decent bandsaw then buy it in blanks and cut your own

Comment

• Jsix, Itin, Kingwood (very beautiful) or Verawood no? As dense as Ebony and very tough. Very tough wood good on cues, must defense against knocks no? Dense good for cue weight, balance and feel no?

Comment

Well yes black does look better imo,and lets say you pay thirty pounds for a set of ebony splices it saves you time and one side is planed and ready to go,its not a criticism j and if you have a decent bandsaw then buy it in blanks and cut your own
                            im just opening it up an picking your brains golf. i hear you, i too like the black and easy workings of good ebony. though i feel the brown has its own qualitys an looks. but if your a player its about the hit when you take the cue to the table. i grew up on rackers, good ones, so maybe im just looking back an making the bast rackers i can. i remmember some of those cues on the wall really looked an played the part
                            my latest cue is the best so far, an im really liking the properties of the merbau
                            Last edited by j6uk; 6 August 2015, 07:39 PM.

Comment

• Originally Posted by 3000up View Post
                              Jsix, Itin, Kingwood (very beautiful) or Verawood no? As dense as Ebony and very tough. Very tough wood good on cues, must defense against knocks no? Dense good for cue weight, balance and feel no?
                              yes but iv never played or worked with such wood, hope to one day

Comment

• still a babe in the woods in many ways

Comment

Working...
                                X