This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally Posted by j6uk View Post
    im just opening it up an picking your brains golf. i hear you, i too like the black and easy workings of good ebony. though i feel the brown has its own qualitys an looks. but if your a player its about the hit when you take the cue to the table. i grew up on rackers, good ones, so maybe im just looking back an making the bast rackers i can. i remmember some of those cues on the wall really looked an played the part
    my latest cue is the best so far, an im really liking the properties of this merbau
    I get u j but you cant keep em all you have to sell some! And ebony sells and most secondary splices look good on ebony

Comment

• Originally Posted by golferson123 View Post
      I get u j but you cant keep em all you have to sell some! And ebony sells and most secondary splices look good on ebony
      my latest is the only cue i have, the rest have gone.
      im with you on the ebony an the easy workings, i hope to get some soon.. but i like the look of my pallete the browns,purples,reds, there earthy an look an feel right. but its all about the hit right so
      besdies the cues im trying to make, these are the type of cues i grew up with in london, but with smaller butts
      Last edited by j6uk; 6 August 2015, 07:58 PM.

Comment

• Dense et heavy = more work and more problems with wood faulting itself. But black is good background colour, classic. Don't go snakewood, cauchemar! You will not sleep with clients complaining. Splits faster than an American wife. Doesn't polish with oil too well. Client must be told no snake is in stock, let them hiss.

Comment

• theres something classy about a plane ebony cue, equally i feel brown is the new black an looking back is the way forwards

Comment

• "No snake is in stock, let them hiss" <<<< Excellent

Comment

• Originally Posted by 3000up View Post
              Dense et heavy = more work and more problems with wood faulting itself. But black is good background colour, classic. Don't go snakewood, cauchemar! You will not sleep with clients complaining. Splits faster than an American wife. Doesn't polish with oil too well. Client must be told no snake is in stock, let them hiss.
              Can look very nice

Comment

• Oui oui! American wife looks very nice. Both split finalement. Snake does not like to be with another wiv glue. Big trouble down la ligne.

Comment

• Oh mb this is your lamest effort yet,you can do better surely

Comment

• Ah oui jsix, I feel your subtle moves. An Autumn child of the 70s? Browns, reds, a little bright here and there but not a lot? A time you yearn, when Rosewood is very popular?

Problem - now is a time of contrast again, ze pink mirrors and roof on ze car wiv ze black mini body. If not contrast, then just unitary colour allover. Nothing in between.

This translates into the love of black on cues, or simple marbled ebony, or a ton of snake against ash, or black with many bright or luminous veneers ala Parris cue maker. It is the taste of today, contrast, less complimentary palette; look at me, look at me! You know, this i generation.

So you fly in the face of gaudy (I don't mean plain black). C'est la vie.

But black (or strong brown) is classic. It says utility and simple, timeless taste.

Do you like mahogany?

Comment

• i can hear from your poetecness that your worlly an traveled, and youve allways stolen the lingerie off your lovers
                      im yet to work with rosewood and iv never worked with mahogon but i hear its light an easy to work with

Originally Posted by 3000up View Post
                      Ah oui jsix, I feel your subtle moves. An Autumn child of the 70s? Browns, reds, a little bright here and there but not a lot? A time you yearn, when Rosewood is very popular?

Problem - now is a time of contrast again, ze pink mirrors and roof on ze car wiv ze black mini body. If not contrast, then just unitary colour allover. Nothing in between.

This translates into the love of black on cues, or simple marbled ebony, or a ton of snake against ash, or black with many bright or luminous veneers ala Parris cue maker. It is the taste of today, contrast, less complimentary palette; look at me, look at me! You know, this i generation.

So you fly in the face of gaudy (I don't mean plain black). C'est la vie.

But black (or strong brown) is classic. It says utility and simple, timeless taste.

Do you like mahogany?
                      Last edited by j6uk; 7 August 2015, 02:57 PM.

Comment

• ex lindop cue finished

an this was the original restoration job

Last edited by j6uk; 7 August 2015, 09:31 PM.

Comment

• Originally Posted by markz View Post
                          Any pics of planing the splices j6uk? I've tried to make a couple of cues from ash blanks and struggle lining up the splice points. Yours all look really great, you seem to have got it down to a fine art!
                          here you go, a few rough pics of the next few coming through

Last edited by j6uk; 8 August 2015, 02:39 PM.

Comment

• Honest cues!

Comment

• Originally Posted by j6uk View Post
                              i can hear from your poetecness that your worlly an traveled, and youve allways stolen the lingerie off your lovers
                              im yet to work with rosewood and iv never worked with mahogon but i hear its light an easy to work with
                              It is nice to work with, if the results are a little plain but if you want a lovely all over consistent brown, it produces very nice results; cabinet making. Rosewood is lovely as well. Mahogany plains quite easily.

Comment

• Originally Posted by 3000up View Post
                                It is nice to work with, if the results are a little plain but if you want a lovely all over consistent brown, it produces very nice results; cabinet making. Rosewood is lovely as well. Mahogany plains quite easily.
                                Don't you mean "eet eez nice to work wiz, yes?"

Comment

Working...
                                X