This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Yeah like it.

Do you normally fit them with so much wood to take off still (like the cue on the right)?

How are you cutting the dowel? I normally do mine by hand but have thought about buying one of the tweetens tools, look expensive though.

Nice ferules though.

Keep it up.
    Snooker Crazy - Cues and Equipment Sales Website
    Snooker Crazy - Facebook Page
    Snooker Crazy - You Tube Channel

Comment

• i have cut them in the past by hand too, but now the ferrules and weights are done on a lathe.
      i cut the shaft down to 13mm - 31mm

Comment

• Have you bought a lathe or have you got a friend?

Comment

• theres a fella i go an see once in a while when iv made a few cues an he cuts the ferrules an drills the weight holes
          i am thinking of getting a small lathe for the ferrules or creating a bespoke one from scratch. but things are okay right now, though i dont like having to rely on someone to get stuff done

Comment

• I've been playing with a record one and extended it.

Looking at a steady to see if I can keep the tip end free.

Comment

• Originally Posted by Shockerz View Post
              I've been playing with a record one and extended it.

Looking at a steady to see if I can keep the tip end free.
              iv look into that a little. i take it youll be using it for tapering the splices, an maybe shafts? or would you too convert it to drill and cut ferrles?

Comment

• Originally Posted by j6uk View Post
                iv look into that a little. i take it you'll be using it for tapering the splices, an maybe shafts? or would you too convert it to drill and cut ferrles?
                Not sure at the moment as I'd like to do a cue from scratch so I'll probably do both so I can learn both methods.

At present I use it for refurbishing cues and especially old rests. Madly, I'm still tempted to cut a ferule using a sharpened spanner as I still can't see why it is that different from using a chisel after seeing the video I found.

I'll probably try and see how far I can drill with success before I decide what I can and can't do.

Basically still playing at the moment. Looking for a second steady that doesn't mark the shaft; ball races don't seem to have anything soft or rubber in the middle.

Comment

• As for tapering, I like the Andy Hunter video for how he cuts a piece of wood or even the Mike Wooldridge one.

Once I learn the methods I don't really want to make the cue on the lathe as I would like to develop the woodworking skills.

I was only interested in football at school and played truant so we play at the local parks so missed out on all that stuff but love the smell of wood and have time on my hands now.

It's amazing what growing up does for you and seeing Jeremy Kyle on the tele drives me toward the garage!

Comment

• Chuck.jpgTailstock.jpgSteady.jpgLathe Bars.jpgJig.jpg

The steady marks the cues a little so trying to find something a little softer on the shafts.

Had a couple of old ash rests that were being thrown out and replaced for new ones that seem like balsa wood. Put the old rests on the lathes and took all the dinks out and sanded them, look good as new now so will take them back down there.

I did disc cut the lathe headstock and tailstock when adapting it and then re centred using a laser level (probably a bit of overkill!)

I also made a jig for when I get a dust extractor but that's proving to be a difficult one to find

Comment

Not sure at the moment as I'd like to do a cue from scratch so I'll probably do both so I can learn both methods.

At present I use it for refurbishing cues and especially old rests. Madly, I'm still tempted to cut a ferule using a sharpened spanner as I still can't see why it is that different from using a chisel after seeing the video I found.

I'll probably try and see how far I can drill with success before I decide what I can and can't do.

Basically still playing at the moment. Looking for a second steady that doesn't mark the shaft; ball races don't seem to have anything soft or rubber in the middle. what about rollerskate wheels?
                      playing is the only way,
                      it was the hand planes that got me into it, from sharpening the irons to leveling the plane itself. then the woo and learing what it does an how it moves with every cut

Originally Posted by Shockerz View Post
                      As for tapering, I like the Andy Hunter video for how he cuts a piece of wood or even the Mike Wooldridge one.

Once I learn the methods I don't really want to make the cue on the lathe as I would like to develop the woodworking skills.

I was only interested in football at school and played truant so we play at the local parks so missed out on all that stuff but love the smell of wood and have time on my hands now.

It's amazing what growing up does for you and seeing Jeremy Kyle on the tele drives me toward the garage!
                      i hear you man, an i know the story. ii havent had a tele for 7years

Originally Posted by Shockerz View Post
                      [ATTACH]18132[/ATTACH][ATTACH]18133[/ATTACH][ATTACH]18134[/ATTACH][ATTACH]18135[/ATTACH][ATTACH]18136[/ATTACH]

The steady marks the cues a little so trying to find something a little softer on the shafts.

Had a couple of old ash rests that were being thrown out and replaced for new ones that seem like balsa wood. Put the old rests on the lathes and took all the dinks out and sanded them, look good as new now so will take them back down there.

I did disc cut the lathe headstock and tailstock when adapting it and then re centred using a laser level (probably a bit of overkill!)

I also made a jig for when I get a dust extractor but that's proving to be a difficult one to find
                      i would like to learn how to operate a lethe at some point, iv only turned cues with a drill. that all changed when i got my no5, now its planing pretty much all the way an a bit of sanding an scrapping

looks quite a setup you got going there, are you doing other wood works or is it just for cues ?

Comment

• I guess if I think about it I'm really just building and tinkering at the moment.

I've been trying to build a picture in my head about how each person builds cues and the different methods they use. I'm pretty much there to make a proper start and stop the tinkering but I just want to be better at planing them broomsticks as all the planes are different and still can't make my mind up if the jig I have is right.

I was told by a joiner who has a great reputation that all these things are little by little as you shape but I've always been a roll your sleeves up and get in there, don't think that's gonna work here.

I've also considered having an hour or so on lathes with someone but just watch videos at the moment.

I've slowly collected most tools from various sources over the last 2 years, built a bench for the lathe our of spare wood and my brother built me another woodworking bench in return for other stuff I've done.

I don't do any other woodwork stuff, just cues and rests. I like to repair the cues and rests other people and clubs are due to throw just to prove the cues still in there, we are just a throw away society.

I've brought many cues back to life that are full of dents, dinks, full of thick old varnish etc that feel crap.

My old man was given a cue to him when he was at school and he is 76. I did it up for him the other day, fitted a ferule to it (never had one), put a decent tip on it and refinished it as it has never been touched.

His dad found it in a junk shop and it was old then but is still straight (no badge but nice ash and ebony).

He has been trying lots of cues for years without success. When I gave it too him he couldn't talk and just kept shaking his head and I thought he was going to blubber.

2 weeks later and he just can't stop telling his friends about his cue and buffing it like I showed him.

If i'd have brought him a car he couldn't have been happier.......not just a bit of wood is it.

Comment

I guess if I think about it I'm really just building and tinkering at the moment.
                          iv been there, an in many ways we never stop tinkering

I've been trying to build a picture in my head about how each person builds cues and the different methods they use. I'm pretty much there to make a proper start and stop the tinkering but I just want to be better at planing them broomsticks as all the planes are different and still can't make my mind up if the jig I have is right.
                          i think theres a big difference between cue building an cue making. builing a cue makes me think of a mashinist importing all the parts to put together. then theres the maker who cuts everything by hand, to make a handmade cue

I was told by a joiner who has a great reputation that all these things are little by little as you shape but I've always been a roll your sleeves up and get in there, don't think that's gonna work here.
                          for me its a bit of both

I've also considered having an hour or so on lathes with someone but just watch videos at the moment.

I've slowly collected most tools from various sources over the last 2 years, built a bench for the lathe our of spare wood and my brother built me another woodworking bench in return for other stuff I've done.

I don't do any other woodwork stuff, just cues and rests. I like to repair the cues and rests other people and clubs are due to throw just to prove the cues still in there, we are just a throw away society.

I've brought many cues back to life that are full of dents, dinks, full of thick old varnish etc that feel crap.
                          i done a lot of this over the years an its fun plus good confedence building for when you start picking up hand planes

My old man was given a cue to him when he was at school and he is 76. I did it up for him the other day, fitted a ferule to it (never had one), put a decent tip on it and refinished it as it has never been touched.

His dad found it in a junk shop and it was old then but is still straight (no badge but nice ash and ebony).

He has been trying lots of cues for years without success. When I gave it too him he couldn't talk and just kept shaking his head and I thought he was going to blubber.

2 weeks later and he just can't stop telling his friends about his cue and buffing it like I showed him.

If i'd have brought him a car he couldn't have been happier.......not just a bit of wood is it.
                          cherish the moments, your old mans proud of you
                          Last edited by j6uk; 19 November 2015, 12:00 AM.

Comment

• Thanks mate. I think it was a nice moment for him.

He sold it yesterday....................na just kidding.

Comment

Thanks mate. I think it was a nice moment for him.

He sold it yesterday....................na just kidding.
                              LOL, another choking on tea moment there. more warning required. .

Comment

• Originally Posted by billabong View Post
                                LOL, another choking on tea moment there. more warning required. .
                                I'll know when I've really got you as it'll be coming out of your nostrils.

Comment

Working...
                                X