X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ambrad
    replied
    hi all
    ive been looking at some ash to have a go at my first cue. The timber stockists in my area only stock American ash. is this suitable for making a snooker cue or does it need to be English/European ash.
    look forward to your reply
    cheers

Leave a comment:

• j6uk
    replied
    Originally Posted by j6uk View Post
    tucked into one piece of the maple last night, couldnt resist. picked one closest to the bark thinking it shouldnt move too much. its actually cut from the left side of the plank above.
    now let it rest on the step for a few weeks

Leave a comment:

• Ninja.cues
    replied
    Originally Posted by old school View Post
    Years of experience , playing in the best leagues in the country give you an insight into the pool world , thats for sure . Staffordshire and particularly Stoke - on - Trent have dominated massively in the past at National and Inter League levels as well as producing multiple World and European title holders both Junior and Senior as well as winning in the over 50 s categories . Jason produces really good cues and I hope he continues to do so , would nt mind trying a Maple from him in the Autumn , after the timber has settled a bit.
    Have a lot of years under my belt too but more blackball the last few years.
    Will be at Blackpool next month too.
    Would fault Jason's cues at all and if I didn't make my own, I would be looking his way for one.
    Understand the love and pain that goes into making them..

Leave a comment:

• old school
    replied
    Years of experience , playing in the best leagues in the country give you an insight into the pool world , thats for sure . Staffordshire and particularly Stoke - on - Trent have dominated massively in the past at National and Inter League levels as well as producing multiple World and European title holders both Junior and Senior as well as winning in the over 50 s categories . Jason produces really good cues and I hope he continues to do so , would nt mind trying a Maple from him in the Autumn , after the timber has settled a bit.

Leave a comment:

• Ninja.cues
    replied
    Sorry , Jason , no such thing as standard . I would suggest your parameters be 55 1/2 " - 57 1/2 " , 7.5 mm - 9 .25 mm and 15 - 17 oz . This would cover a lot of pool players and could double as a snooker cue as well . My lightest cue is 12 1/2 oz and that is a 3/4 with a butt joint as well , would be around 10 - 11 oz without the brass in the joints , this cue comes out when I want to put more action on a cue ball and I am feeling lazy or a fast cloth and " touch " pool i.e. playing old rules and sneaking up behind balls for snookers . Nothing wrong with lighter cues , in fact I prefer them because I am an advocate of tip speed being more important than weight in the break off shot in World Rules English pool . Love your work by the way , butterfly Wenge still going strong .
    Old school is about right and some will go up to 18oz.
    Few friends I know play with smaller tips (smallest being 5.5mm) but you will not find many that go past 7.5mm.
    Some I know, will use they cue for pool and snooker and will be round 9mm.

Leave a comment:

• j6uk
    replied
    as much as i like the end product with the look feel and play of a hand made cue, and the pressure of getting the cue to the right specs. this part of the processes is the most exciting. searching choosing cutting the wood, and then shaping the shafts

Leave a comment:

• Alex Gara
    replied
    and some ash at 10' long, this is half of that piece

I like the look the planks, the ash looks great. When I eventually develop the skills to make a good cue I will be hoping one day to get hold of a good ash board or two.

Your cues are looking great.

Leave a comment:

• j6uk
    replied
    and some ash at 10' long, this is half of that piece

Leave a comment:

• j6uk
    replied
    Sorry , Jason , no such thing as standard . I would suggest your parameters be 55 1/2 " - 57 1/2 " , 7.5 mm - 9 .25 mm and 15 - 17 oz . This would cover a lot of pool players and could double as a snooker cue as well . My lightest cue is 12 1/2 oz and that is a 3/4 with a butt joint as well , would be around 10 - 11 oz without the brass in the joints , this cue comes out when I want to put more action on a cue ball and I am feeling lazy or a fast cloth and " touch " pool i.e. playing old rules and sneaking up behind balls for snookers . Nothing wrong with lighter cues , in fact I prefer them because I am an advocate of tip speed being more important than weight in the break off shot in World Rules English pool . Love your work by the way , butterfly Wenge still going strong .
    cheers for that mick, need to be more tuned in to the players to get a feel for what their after.. but really enjoy making these pool cues..

back to snooker cues for a moment, i spent the morning moving planks around and managed to dig out what i believe to be a nice piece of maple 8' long. after cutting i will give them time to settle then, take them through the necessary stages to get them cue shaped. should be ready for splicing mid-end of the summer.

Last edited by j6uk; 25 May 2017, 09:45 PM.

Leave a comment:

• old school
    replied

Leave a comment:

• j6uk
    replied
    both cues are around 14.5oz on the lighter side. but i think 56-57/7.5-8.5/15-16oz is standard for pool players no?

Leave a comment:

• Ninja.cues
    replied
    Originally Posted by foss13 View Post
    Weight of a cue is personal preference, don't think you need a heavy cue for pool.
    Yes I agree, just saying it loud that is a very light cue.
    Have played it for a lot of years and never known anyone want one that light... At a county standard.
    Wasn't knocking Jason cue in any way.
    Would love the chance to play with one of his cues.

Leave a comment:

• foss13
    replied
    Originally Posted by Ninja.cues View Post
    I've never know someone want a cue that light for English pool as it seems really light..
    Still looks real nice.
    Weight of a cue is personal preference, don't think you need a heavy cue for pool.

Leave a comment:

• Ninja.cues
    replied
    I've never know someone want a cue that light for English pool as it seems really light..
    Still looks real nice.

Leave a comment:

• matthias
    replied
    yeah english pool cue specs matt but i miss typed, and the butt is 28.5mm not 25.5
    ah right, thought it was a kids cue maybe, looking very nice btw

Leave a comment:

Working...
X