This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• that's class,
    for me, one of the nicest designs you have done so far.
    very nice indeed.

Comment

• Originally Posted by matthias View Post
      that's class,
      for me, one of the nicest designs you have done so far.
      very nice indeed.
      i agree matt, i really like the hit too, light, lively with a bit of give and that 18bp. its a nice recipe.
      and i like the feel of the nili m yo sent me.will try the 14mm one on the next cue this week

Comment

• Been reading/looking through the posts on this thread and felt compelled to congratulate you j6 on both your workmanship and the obvious love you have for wood(s) and snooker cue's which is evidenced by the pics you have posted and within your written commentary, it shines through j.

For me, the cue at the beginning of this thread is my favourite, this is purely on its looks and maybe simply because it is the 1st in the thread, who knows, the rest is tangible but who knows what fate has in store and one day I may be lucky enough to see one of your cue's in the flesh, in fact to hell with it, I might get to knock a few around with it !.

I think that the idea of a badge, which has been mentioned several times and you have and are meditating on should be brought from your mind and into existence, if for no other reason than my sentiment in the previous paragraph lol.

Rich.

Comment

• Originally Posted by rich123 View Post
          Been reading/looking through the posts on this thread and felt compelled to congratulate you j6 on both your workmanship and the obvious love you have for wood(s) and snooker cue's which is evidenced by the pics you have posted and within your written commentary, it shines through j.

For me, the cue at the beginning of this thread is my favourite, this is purely on its looks and maybe simply because it is the 1st in the thread, who knows, the rest is tangible but who knows what fate has in store and one day I may be lucky enough to see one of your cue's in the flesh, in fact to hell with it, I might get to knock a few around with it !.

I think that the idea of a badge, which has been mentioned several times and you have and are meditating on should be brought from your mind and into existence, if for no other reason than my sentiment in the previous paragraph lol.

Rich.
          thanks for the kind post rich,
          i too liked my first cue on this thread, i have fond scoring memories of that cue, and im a fan of the machine splice with secondary lower splices.
          sorry not to be on the badge thing sooner, but it was all about the wood. and still is. but it is gonna happen so, hang in there

Comment

• Originally Posted by j6uk View Post
            thanks for the kind post rich,
            i too liked my first cue on this thread, i have fond scoring memories of that cue, and im a fan of the machine splice with secondary lower splices.
            sorry not to be on the badge thing sooner, but it was all about the wood. and still is. but it is gonna happen so, hang in there
            oh no....where is my badge then? Hahahaha.....its about time Jason as you are doing a great job making those marvellous cues. Keep churning out good quality cues and please do not compromise on quality for maximum profit as some cuemakers do when they are popular. Cheers

Comment

• cue rescue pt1

this cue was sent to me by our lonewolf, looks like its from the 50's with a 32mm butt and 11mm tip end. has a very nice old english vintage close straight grain shaft.
              it was originally split tapered on a lathe and after removing the weight, fixing the cracks and putting back a front splice, the first thing was to take out all the excess meat on the butt end

Comment

• Looks like this will end up being a nice project for you J6.
                Am glad she is in the hands of someone who will care for her... :snooker:
                "I got injected with the passion for snooker" - SQ_FLYER
                National Snooker Expo
                25-27 October 2019
                http://nationalsnookerexpo.com

Comment

• pt2

so the toughest part was getting it down from 32mm butt - 26.5mm 18" up to the top of the splices, down to 29.5 - 24.5. after taking all that out the machine splices dropped down to below 17" and were very uneven.
                  the butt wood that i didnt recognize could of been very brittle macassar ebony though not sure, anyway there were a few cracks in the splices so i thought best not mess about and just do a full splice in macassar

Comment

• I have a couple of old machine spliced cues that I'm refurbishing j6, I'm dubious about doing a complete re-splice as I'm not sure that what the new splices will glue onto is sufficient to keep the cue together after half the original hardwood is planed off.

You have done a number of these cues, so in your experience is the remainder of the glued on original butt together with the new splices enough to hold the cue together ?

Comment

• Originally Posted by vmax4steve View Post
                      I have a couple of old machine spliced cues that I'm refurbishing j6, I'm dubious about doing a complete re-splice as I'm not sure that what the new splices will glue onto is sufficient to keep the cue together after half the original hardwood is planed off.

You have done a number of these cues, so in your experience is the remainder of the glued on original butt together with the new splices enough to hold the cue together ?

i dont quite get what you mean vmax, have you some pics of the cues, what type of butt woods we talking about?, and your wanting to do a full splice like above?

Comment

• very nice work! i'd love to have a go at splicing an old cue.

I'm hopefully starting a beginners carpentry course soon and hopefully build my son a cue by shortening an old one piece and maybe add a splice or 4!
                        http://e.imagehost.org/0813/Mellow_yellow_sig1.jpg

Comment

• prt 3

low profile ferrule with one of shockers milk elks, then taken the last 6-8" of the shaft down to 10mm

Comment

• Looking nice again J.

I was sweating for you looking at the chisel take the top splice off. How did you separate the glue, hot water?

Let me know how the tip plays as done a few different types with the elks for club players; some love em and want some spares and others don't like the hardness so have been experimenting with compression.Also been experimenting with leather hardening techniques and nearly tooka chunk out of a cue ball the other day it was so hard!

Liking the look of the thinner ferrule as well.
                            Snooker Crazy - Cues and Equipment Sales Website
                            Snooker Crazy - Facebook Page
                            Snooker Crazy - You Tube Channel

Comment

• Looking nice again J.

I was sweating for you looking at the chisel take the top splice off. How did you separate the glue, hot water?

Let me know how the tip plays as done a few different types with the elks for club players; some love em and want some spares and others don't like the hardness so have been experimenting with compression.Also been experimenting with leather hardening techniques and nearly tooka chunk out of a cue ball the other day it was so hard!

Snooker Crazy - Cues and Equipment Sales Website
                              Snooker Crazy - Facebook Page
                              Snooker Crazy - You Tube Channel

Comment

• Originally Posted by Shockerz View Post
                                Looking nice again J.

the tip does feel hard but for me the harder the better, gives me a better reading of the shaft..
                                as for the front splice no, i just chiseled it off. im gonna recycle the maple part

Comment

Working...
                                X