Cannon Cues from the 1980s and 90s

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cannon Cues from the 1980s and 90s

As I am presently using an old 1990s Cannon cue I have been doing a little research on the company. I had some help from Dave Smith (Cues n Views) and he asked Peter Clare who told him that it was a franchise deal that only lasted a few years.

Their biggest sellers were the 'Whirlwind', the 'Hurricane' and the 'Tornado' to cash in on the most exciting players, Jimmy, Alex and Tony.

I know what the 'Whirlwind' cue looks like as it has a longer butt to look like Jimmys Hunt & Obyrne cue but I have no idea what the 'Hurricane' cue or the 'Tornado' cue looks like and wondered if anyone on the forum either owned one or has ever seen one?

Any help would be appreciated

Oldgit
    'Believe To Achieve'

i had the Hurricane and sold it to george31 and i think i had Tornado it was machine splice ive still got the Ye Olde Ash Cue and 3 others cannon cues here is 2 of them

Comment

Thanks, from searching the Internet I believe that the Whirlwind was the most expensive with the joint at 16in and the Hurricane had the joint at 12in. The Tornado was machine spliced with an ebonised butt and maple shaft and was the cheapest.
      'Believe To Achieve'

Comment

Cannon Cues from the 1980s and 90s

Have only ever seen the butt of the whirlwind cue if you get a chance pop some pictures of your cue on here as well would be great to see the whole thing

Comment

hi oldgit they were my cues lol here the Ye Olde Ash Cue

Comment

Originally Posted by Oldgit View Post
            Thanks, from searching the Internet I believe that the Whirlwind was the most expensive with the joint at 16in and the Hurricane had the joint at 12in. The Tornado was machine spliced with an ebonised butt and maple shaft and was the cheapest.
            Hi. Your research is correct. The Tornado was the only one that was ebonised-it was made to look like a hand spliced cue and was jointed high around the 16in like the whirlwind.

Comment

I have a Cannon Cue the same as this one on ebay

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Vintage-Ca...vip=true&rt=nc

While it looks like a handmade cue I noticed that it is ebonised . . .

The listing says they bought it new for £325. Would that be right? Seems a lot for back in 1980.
              My favourite players: Walter Lindrum (AUS), Neil Robertson (AUS), Eddie Charlton (AUS), Robby Foldvari (AUS), Vinnie Calabrese (AUS), Jimmy White, Stephen Hendry, Alex Higgins, Ronnie O'Sullivan, Dominic Dale and Barry Hawkins.
              I dream of a 147 (but would be happy with a 100)

Comment

Originally Posted by mythman69 View Post

The listing says they bought it new for £325. Would that be right? Seems a lot for back in 1980.
                Hmm somehow i don't think so, maybe £32.50

Comment

Originally Posted by jrc750 View Post
                  Hmm somehow i don't think so, maybe £32.50
                  Thought so. Still, I do like the fact that it has its own extension.

My favourite players: Walter Lindrum (AUS), Neil Robertson (AUS), Eddie Charlton (AUS), Robby Foldvari (AUS), Vinnie Calabrese (AUS), Jimmy White, Stephen Hendry, Alex Higgins, Ronnie O'Sullivan, Dominic Dale and Barry Hawkins.

Comment

The cue in the advert is a whirlwind model as it is ash. These were hand spliced in ebony although the screw in extension was lacquered/sprayed black. Don't think the cues were anywhere near £325 mark. Think they were around the £140-£180. The cue in the eBay advert is a later model too as the early models had a white disc with a picture of a cannon on it.

Comment

Originally Posted by ebonynivory View Post
                      The cue in the advert is a whirlwind model as it is ash. These were hand spliced in ebony although the screw in extension was lacquered/sprayed black. Don't think the cues were anywhere near £325 mark. Think they were around the £140-£180. The cue in the eBay advert is a later model too as the early models had a white disc with a picture of a cannon on it.
                      Or it could be the hurricane. Not sure at one point the cue is jointed.

Comment

I am happy to have a Whirlwind inspired cue, but I don't think it is hand spliced in ebony. Have a look at the pics of mine. You can see in the second pic that it was a painted black butt.

Cannon Cues LTD 01.jpg
                        Cannon Cues LTD 02.jpg

Comment

I am happy to have a Whirlwind inspired cue, but I don't think it is hand spliced in ebony. Have a look at the pics of mine. You can see in the second pic that it was a painted black butt.

[ATTACH]17647[/ATTACH]
                          [ATTACH]17648[/ATTACH]
                          Hi, is the cue in the 2nd picture a centre jointed cue?

Comment

Hi, is the cue in the 2nd picture a centre jointed cue?
                            Nope 3/4 joint at 48cm.

Pic 1 and Pic 2 same cue.

So what model is it? Confused now.
                            Last edited by mythman69; 27 February 2015, 12:30 AM.

Comment

Nope 3/4 joint at 48cm.

Pic 1 and Pic 2 same cue.

So what model is it? Confused now.
                              Jointed above the splicing?

Comment

Working...
                              X