Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Fantastic O'min 1pc/2pc conversion - with a GLASS joint...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally Posted by Master Blaster View Post
    p.s. And a 1 piece maple (which is a deader wood compared to ash) has more feel than a jointed ash cue. Fact!

Aurora Cues (Richard) explain here (the part of the blog subtitled 'Holy Grail') why a 1-piece is superior for feel, i.e. joints 'muffle' feedback:

http://www.auroracues.com/blog/
    Uh huh, and how many snooker tournaments has Richard won? Last one I won it was with a centre joint two-piece with an ash shaft on a maple butt. Cue hit great.

Fact is cue makers like to push one-piece cues because they charge more for them, so it's hard to take as gospel some blog written by one.
    Acting experience: When I play snooker and I make a shot, I act like I meant to do it.

Comment

Originally Posted by dinovirus View Post
      Uh huh, and how many snooker tournaments has Richard won? Last one I won it was with a centre joint two-piece with an ash shaft on a maple butt. Cue hit great.

Fact is cue makers like to push one-piece cues because they charge more for them, so it's hard to take as gospel some blog written by one.
      It really should be who gives a shi*t whether someone uses a 1 piece or a 3/4, I thought the threads about cue cases was bad enough now we have this.

Comment

Originally Posted by Leo View Post
        It really should be who gives a shi*t whether someone uses a 1 piece or a 3/4, I thought the threads about cue cases was bad enough now we have this.
        U mad bro?
        Acting experience: When I play snooker and I make a shot, I act like I meant to do it.

Comment

Yeah, Hendry won his 7 titles with a 1-piece. Did Davis use a 1-piece to win his 6, how about Reardon?

Comment

Fantastic O'min 1pc/2pc conversion - with a GLASS joint...

Yes they all used one piece, though Dennis Taylor, Spencer and Thorburn used centre split cues to win their world titles

Comment

Originally Posted by johno View Post
              Yes they all used one piece, though Dennis Taylor, Spencer and Thorburn used centre split cues to win their world titles
              And Ronnie/Robbo use a 3/4, so it's not all 1 piece. But for me, the acid test is the man considered to have the finest touch, the brilliant breakbuilder Ding. Stamford 1 piece.

ding-1429878282.jpg

It's gone in waves. 1-piece cues were the common cue then split cues exploded in the 70s onwards and now it's gone full circle with most pros using a 1-piece. Cheech and Chong might need a joint, a cue doesn't. It serves no purpose on a snooker table.

Actually, perhaps some folk, even Ronnie, like the dead feel of a cue, maybe that's it as well as convenience?
              Last edited by Master Blaster; 4 June 2015, 09:43 AM.

Comment

And Ronnie/Robbo use a 3/4, so it's not all 1 piece. But for me, the acid test is the man considered to have the finest touch, the brilliant breakbuilder Ding. Stamford 1 piece.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]17869[/ATTACH]

It's gone in waves. 1-piece cues were the common cue then split cues exploded in the 70s onwards and now it's gone full circle with most pros using a 1-piece. Cheech and Chong might need a joint, a cue doesn't. It serves no purpose on a snooker table.

Actually, perhaps some folk, even Ronnie, like the dead feel of a cue, maybe that's it as well as convenience?
                You might want to ask yourself how many of your heroes switched from 1pc to 2pc because they got fed up with schlepping around a 1pc for all those years. That would include Davis, Hendry, Parrot, Johnson, Higgins, and McManus, just to name a few. I guess their knowledge pales in comparison to yours.

Also I'm still curious as to how you know my cue has a dead feel when you've never actually tried it? Maybe instead of snooker tonight you should grab a copy of Green Eggs and Ham and read it again.

Comment

You might want to ask yourself how many of your heroes switched from 1pc to 2pc because they got fed up with schlepping around a 1pc for all those years. That would include Davis, Hendry, Parrot, Johnson, Higgins, and McManus, just to name a few. I guess their knowledge pales in comparison to yours.

Also I'm still curious as to how you know my cue has a dead feel when you've never actually tried it? Maybe instead of snooker tonight you should grab a copy of Green Eggs and Ham and read it again.
                  I have a centre jointed Purist, with just one plastic ring, closer to the density of ash that metal or glass. I've also tried wood on wood joints, ala Aurora/MW. These are the two joints that retain the most feel but they don't have as much feel as a 1 piece. You don't have a cue with one of those joints, you have a glass joint and you've already admitted some feel has been lost, so the book you mention is more use to you. Jointed cues are 2nd rate.

And putting a joint at the centre or above is 3rd rate. JP, MW, TW, RC, Cue Craft, Stamford, do they make centre jointed cues?!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

The solution to a heavy 1-piece case is a £10 black plastic tube with hinged endcap. It's lightweight and weighs less than a two piece case, doesn't damage the car, it's tough and it's all you need for practice day and social games. It doesn't wear out and if it gets a few scratches, no problem, it cost a tenner. Slides easily between seats or down the door line, through the hatch. How difficult is that?
                  Last edited by Master Blaster; 4 June 2015, 04:12 PM.

Comment

Stamford, john parris and Mike wooldridge all make centre jointed cues or at least have that option when you place an order...

Comment

Originally Posted by jono* View Post
                      Stamford, john parris and Mike wooldridge all make centre jointed cues or at least have that option when you place an order...
                      How many take that option?

Comment

Very few I would imagine. But at least there is the option. Most people with their cars or have nearby clubs don't find carrying a 3/4 or one piece that inconvenient. So considering the resale value of those over half joints, those are the options mostly taken. There are very few players that need to take their cue abroad which is where most inconvenience lies

Comment

Originally Posted by jono* View Post
                          Very few I would imagine. But at least there is the option. Most people with their cars or have nearby clubs don't find carrying a 3/4 or one piece that inconvenient. So considering the resale value of those over half joints, those are the options mostly taken. There are very few players that need to take their cue abroad which is where most inconvenience lies

Of course it's not really inconvenient, we're men with muscles, it only weighs the same as a bag of sugar. People in this country used to hot rivet ships together FFS and now we have folks struggling to carry a 1-piece. What the hell happened to this country? Why are most people in this land so fat and lazy, it's unreal. Carry your cue and an burn a few calories. Jesus.

No folks, opt for Cut 'n' Shunt instead I suppose.

Comment

Do you carry your shopping home or put it in the boot? If in the boot does that make you fat and lazy?

Comment

Originally Posted by golferson123 View Post
                              Do you carry your shopping home or put it in the boot? If in the boot does that make you fat and lazy?
                              Shopping will fit on any seat or in the boot, the bags are made to that size for functional reasons! Maybe I should have two piece shopping bags so they could also fit in a handbag?!

A 1-piece will fit in any car, there is no good reason to destroy it. It was made without joints for functional, playing reasons. Personally, I can carry six bags of shopping, a whole weeks shopping, and I do. Not one ounce over my ideal BMI. I talk the way I walk.

Glass is less dense than brass, so it's a good choice from that perspective but the OP has said he wanted to keep the cue, as it's the 'one' and he didn't want to lose these characteristics by buying a two-piece cue that would be different. Then he gets someone to cut and shunt it; characteristics lost!!! Crazy.
                              Last edited by Master Blaster; 6 June 2015, 09:36 AM.

Comment

...I talk the way I walk......
                                Too many jokes !!

Comment

Working...
                                X