Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Fantastic O'min 1pc/2pc conversion - with a GLASS joint...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally Posted by Master Blaster View Post
    Shopping will fit on any seat or in the boot, the bags are made to that size for functional reasons! Maybe I should have two piece shopping bags so they could also fit in a handbag?!

A 1-piece will fit in any car, there is no good reason to destroy it. It was made without joints for functional, playing reasons. Personally, I can carry six bags of shopping, a whole weeks shopping, and I do. Not one ounce over my ideal BMI. I talk the way I walk.

Glass is less dense than brass, so it's a good choice from that perspective but the OP has said he wanted to keep the cue, as it's the 'one' and he didn't want to lose these characteristics by buying a two-piece cue that would be different. Then he gets someone to cut and shunt it; characteristics lost!!! Crazy.
    Can't tell whether you're just trolling or actually this dense (like LOL that you think altering my cue was about weight - I mean I'm no physicist but I'm pretty sure that a 2-piece cue weighs the same as a 1-piece). As for how the cue hits or whatever the part you miss is that I don't really care about that nonsense. I know people like you think cues are like magic wands and have mystical properties and what not but I'm sorry they're just not like that. Some are better than others to be sure but when it comes down to it they all play pretty darn good, and playing good snooker is about finding one that's halfway decent and then letting your game adapt to your cue, not the other way around.

As for the whole 1pc vs 2pc cue thing, sure 1-piece cues are probably 'better' (whatever that actually means) from a playability point of view, but for me that's moot because it's just too much of a hassle to carry around -- and I'm not just talking about in my car, but also when I travel. For sure you folks in the UK can drive just about everywhere you go for playing snooker, but for me I usually fly, and I can't tell you how many times I went somewhere for either business or to play pool, and then wished I could have brought my snooker cue with me, but I couldn't because it was a 1-piece (at the time an old Barracuda Old Master) -- and for as annoying as it is just in the car, it's five times more so when it's air travel. Then you have to deal with shlepping it around in the terminal, luggage restrictions, small cabs, rental car shuttles, you name it, and all that and you don't even know for sure if you're even going to use it? Yeah forget that nonsense. Now all my cues fit in the same cue case and I can take them all with my anywhere and carry them over my shoulder. To me that's infinitely better than any feel I may or may not have lost by having it cut.

And by the way I ran a 112 with it Saturday afternoon, so it seems to work just fine. I've got another O'min on its way here too, and I'll probably have that one jointed as well. Looking forward to getting it.
    Last edited by dinovirus; 8 June 2015, 06:30 PM.
    Acting experience: When I play snooker and I make a shot, I act like I meant to do it.

Comment

Originally Posted by dinovirus View Post
      ... - I mean I'm no physicist but I'm pretty sure that a 2-piece cue weighs the same as a 1-piece)....
      Well it doesn't does it ? the weight of the joint can be quite considerable, which also changes the balance point, but glad you play well with it

Comment

Originally Posted by jrc750 View Post
        Well it doesn't does it ? the weight of the joint can be quite considerable, which also changes the balance point, but glad you play well with it
        Sorry but no. I guess you missed the OP but the joint added no weight to the cue at all (in fact I lost about 0.05 of an oz). The balance point didn't change in the slightest.
        Acting experience: When I play snooker and I make a shot, I act like I meant to do it.

Comment

Ahh ok, most joints would, guess that's why you used this one then

Comment

Originally Posted by jrc750 View Post
            Ahh ok, most joints would, guess that's why you used this one then
            Yes, because glass is at 3.0 whereas brass is up at 8.0 I believe. So yeah, weight should have been added unless wood was taken away.

If you drill a hole in a piece of wood and fill it with glass, taking no wood from anywhere else, then the piece of wood has gone up in weight, that's a fact. So if the pieces of wood (now it's a two piece) put together are the same length as the original cue and all the wood that was drilled/turned out has been filled with glass, the weight has gone up. If however, there is air in the socket, i.e. the male part does not fill the female part of the joint to the bottom, then the weight could be the same. Depends!

But hey, it would have made more sense to use kevlar or nylon for the joint anyway!

Because they're tough and because they're closer to the density of wood = more feel because of better resonance.
            Last edited by Master Blaster; 8 June 2015, 07:14 PM.

Comment

Originally Posted by Master Blaster View Post
              Yes, because glass is at 3.0 whereas brass is up at 8.0 I believe. So yeah, weight should have been added unless wood was taken away.

If you drill a hole in a piece of wood and fill it with glass, taking no wood from anywhere else, then the piece of wood has gone up in weight, that's a fact. So if the pieces of wood (now it's a two piece) put together are the same length as the original cue and all the wood that was drilled/turned out has been filled with glass, the weight has gone up. If however, there is air in the socket, i.e. the male part does not fill the female part of the joint to the bottom, then the weight could be the same. Depends!

But hey, it would have made more sense to use kevlar or nylon for the joint anyway!

Because they're tough and because they're closer to the density of wood = more feel because of better resonance.
              Lol, and what does that gain exactly?

Seriously bro, it's time to stop now. You're just embarrassing yourself.

Comment

Originally Posted by dinovirus View Post
                Lol, and what does that gain exactly?

Seriously bro, it's time to stop now. You're just embarrassing yourself.
                Says the man with a 'glass' cue!

Comment

Nice work. I have played with cues with similar joints and they played pretty well, and a bit different feel compared to brass joints.
                  Had a center jointed cue made by Burroughes & Watts 20yrs ago or so for the same reasons (transportation), and it's a nice playing cue as well.

Comment

Working...
                  X