maxiums-omin

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally Posted by Hello, Mr Big Shot View Post
    I'm off to thailand on me hols soon, and was wondering if anyone could point me in the right direction in terms of buying a thai cue? looking to spend 150 max - that's GBP not Baht, obviously.

there's a shop off sukhumvit (soi about 15?) that sells loads of cues, but it's always shut, you have to phone a number to get in, and i can't be arsed with interminable Tinglish conversations, so I've not bothered before - anywhere else people can recommend?

any tips on shipping? or bringing it back through customs? how about maker?
    The shop is at soi 13. I was there just a few days ago. They really have only Niche cues at store. I would say 20-30 snooker cues and most of them with lacquer finish at but end. Larger selection of pool cues than snooker cues.

Comment

Originally Posted by jono* View Post
      Niche is a bit tough to get too apparently. You would really need a guide to get to niche.
      The Niche factory may be tough to get to. But the show room is in the Trendy Plaza on Soi 13 Sukhumvit, close to the Na Na BTS station.

Comment

Originally Posted by Kiwi View Post
        The Niche factory may be tough to get to. But the show room is in the Trendy Plaza on Soi 13 Sukhumvit, close to the Na Na BTS station.
        Trendy plaza
        is that for real? :wink-new:
        Up the TSF! :snooker:

Comment

Originally Posted by tepe View Post
          The shop is at soi 13. I was there just a few days ago. They really have only Niche cues at store. I would say 20-30 snooker cues and most of them with lacquer finish at but end. Larger selection of pool cues than snooker cues.
          The shop is in the Trendy Plaza on Soi 13, close to the Na Na BTS station. The reason that they only have Niche cues in stock is because this is the Niche sales and showroom premises. Prices are reasonable and the cues are good quality. But I prefer oil finished butts (no jokes please!) and the cues on display were lacquer treated. I ended up visiting Ton Praram, whose premises are about a 30 minute taxi ride from the Niche show room. A custom made cue takes a couple of months to make but they had a stock cue that I liked so I purchased that and had it shortened and the butt reduced 1cm to suit my personal preferences. The service from Jack P and his wife was superb and I have no hesitation in recommending this cue maker.
          over the past few years I have also purchased from Omin and Master Cue, who both make good cues. Of the two I prefer Omin, but they are some way out of the city and it's a mission finding them. I had also planned to visit Maximus but they are also some way out of the city and I ran out of time.

Comment

Originally Posted by DeanH View Post
            Trendy plaza
            is that for real? :wink-new:
            I'm a lawyer. So I must be telling the truth!!!

Comment

I'm a lawyer. So I must be telling the truth!!!
              LOL
              is there a "Hoi Polloi Precinct" round the back? :wink:

Comment

[QUOTE=DeanH;859199]LOL
                is there a "Hoi Polloi Precinct"

Of course there is. In fact that's where the English rugby team did their RWC training lol

Comment

wey-hey! boom-boom! LOL

Comment

Originally Posted by tepe View Post
                    The shop is in the Trendy Plaza on Soi 13, close to the Na Na BTS station. The reason that they only have Niche cues in stock is because this is the Niche sales and showroom premises. Prices are reasonable and the cues are good quality. But I prefer oil finished butts (no jokes please!) and the cues on display were lacquer treated. I ended up visiting Ton Praram, whose premises are about a 30 minute taxi ride from the Niche show room. A custom made cue takes a couple of months to make but they had a stock cue that I liked so I purchased that and had it shortened and the butt reduced 1cm to suit my personal preferences. The service from Jack P and his wife was superb and I have no hesitation in recommending this cue maker.
                    over the past few years I have also purchased from Omin and Master Cue, who both make good cues. Of the two I prefer Omin, but they are some way out of the city and it's a mission finding them. I had also planned to visit Maximus but they are also some way out of the city and I ran out of time.
                    Great,.thanks. Looked like there were hundreds of snooker cues when i looked through the window. Hopefully they'll be open when i go in a few weeks time.

What is ton praram's premises like, and do you have an address? Do they speak english? Do they have lots of cues to try? I'd raher buy one I'd played with than have one made from a blank. I'd also rather buy a 50/50 split cue, so i can bring it back in my luggage - are there many of those from thai makers?

And oil finished butts? In bangers? Too easy...

Comment

Originally Posted by Hello, Mr Big Shot View Post
                      .... I'd also rather buy a 50/50 split cue, so i can bring it back in my luggage - are there many of those... .
                      You won't find any I doubt

Comment

I think centre jointed is only available if you go for custom made option :

http://tonpraram3cues.com/?page=custom-made&step=1

Comment

Originally Posted by mikeyd100 View Post
                          I think centre jointed is only available if you go for custom made option :

http://tonpraram3cues.com/?page=custom-made&step=1
                          Thanks mate.

Comment

buy a one piece and have it jointed

Comment

Buy a one piece and find a way to get it home. Unless you're on the tour, the minimum inconvenience of carrying a one piece is repaid many times over by better feel. At least for me. A one piece just feels so much better to me, and requires less upkeep.

Comment

Originally Posted by tetricky View Post
                                Buy a one piece and find a way to get it home. Unless you're on the tour, the minimum inconvenience of carrying a one piece is repaid many times over by better feel. At least for me. A one piece just feels so much better to me, and requires less upkeep.
                                The point is to bring it home in me luggage, tax and shipping free.

I'm tight.

Comment

Working...
                                X