My workshop

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally Posted by Shockerz View Post
    Nice to see you are back in the workshop Vmax. Keep posting the pics.

It seems like you have a nice deep almost burnished look to the cue shaft finish; looks really good.
    Bought a smartphone so I have a better camera now than the little kodak I was using
    Speak up, you've got to speak up against the madness, you've got speak your mind if you dare
    but don't try to get yourself elected, for if you do you'll have to cut your hair

Comment

• Going to fit joints to these two 3/4 split cues I've been making this past week. I join the shaft to the solid hardwood butt by means of a glued dowell and fashion the cue as a one piece, then I cut it at the join and fit the brass joint, you can see the join in the pictures.
      One is an ash shaft with mexican rosewood butt and the other is a beech shaft with an ekki butt. Both cues are nicely balanced very near the join and are heavy enough to not add any extra weight other than the 1 & 1/2 oz's the joint weighs.

https://ibb.co/album/1fnJg2
      Speak up, you've got to speak up against the madness, you've got speak your mind if you dare
      but don't try to get yourself elected, for if you do you'll have to cut your hair

Comment

• Finished the two 3/4 cues I've been making this past week or so:

58 inch beech 3/4 with an ekki butt and dark rosewood splice that melds into white, balanced at 18 inches, 9.9mm brass ferrule, 29mm diameter butt, weighs 17.8 oz's
        https://ibb.co/album/dw8BvB
        59 1/4 inch ash 3/4 with a pau rosa butt with darkrosewood splice that melds into white, balanced at 18.5 inches, 9.9mm brass ferrule, 29 diameter butt, weighs 17oz's
        https://ibb.co/album/F5T3gx

Comment

• one piece 58 inch olive ash with an ipe (eepay) tabacca butt with two long and two short splices, ipe mini butt, balanced at 18.5 inches, 29mm diameter butt with 9.8mm diameter brass ferrule, 18.2 oz's. The ipe is a species of ironwood and is a real pig to plane, hard as stone but lovely when finished. I'm currently doing another one of the same design, just the finishing left to do.

https://ibb.co/album/qFjbPk

Comment

• Nice Vmax, never heard of Olive Ash before the grain reminds me a bit of Oak.
            Snooker is a game of simple shots played to perfection, Joe Davies

Comment

• Originally Posted by John Flaf View Post
              Nice Vmax, never heard of Olive Ash before the grain reminds me a bit of Oak.
              Thanks John, olive ash has brown heartwood and white sapwood and the white melds into brown the nearer the heartwood you go, so the shaft has streaks of brown in it as seen in the photos.

Comment

• 3/4 jointed ash with amargo amargo butt on wenge veneers. 62.5 inches long, balanced at 19.5 inches, 18.2 ounces, 29mm diameter butt, 9.7mm diameter brass ferrule. If you're six foot four or taller it could be for you.

https://ibb.co/album/0Kfqyn

one piece ash with ipe tabacca butt. 58.5 inches long, balanced at 17 inches, weighs 17.25 ounces, 28.5mm diameter butt, 9.5mm diameter brass ferrule. Same design as post #184 but slightly different dimensions.

https://ibb.co/album/LQ0NjV

Comment

• Finished this one today
                  58 inch ash 3/4 with solid marblewood butt and mini butt, 29.5mm diameter butt, 9.8mm diameter brass ferrule, 18 oz's, balanced at 18 inches.
                  Currently working on a 57 inch butterfly spliced 3/4 also marblewood, last shaft for this year and will prepare my pearwood for next year when completed.

https://ibb.co/album/Dr91Jk

Comment

• Never seen that wood before, surprised it's not more popular, that's really nice.
                    This is how you play darts ,MVG two nines in the same match!
                    https://youtu.be/yqTGtwOpHu8

Comment

• Originally Posted by itsnoteasy View Post
                      Never seen that wood before, surprised it's not more popular, that's really nice.
                      Doesn't come up for sale very often, bloody expensive when it does. I like to be different, plain ebony I find rather boring and far too expensive for what it is anyway, and with something like marblewood any decorative splices will conceal the marble pattern so no need for them. Planes really well, naturally dense and heavy so no added metal to weight the cue, it naturally balances near the joint so simple to make and looks great. Glad you like it, thanks

Comment

• Last cue I'll be making this year, no more shafts ready for splicing. I'll be concentrating on preparing some more shafts to settle over the winter ready for splicing next spring/summer. Got some pearwood, ash and maple, being on furlough has made me pull my finger out this year, this is cue number nine where I usually only manage four or five. Learned a bit more about the craft, making the process easier and I'm getting the hang of cue making with the tools I have to hand. I think I need a small metal lathe for cutting back the joints and making ferrules, the cue smith lathe doesn't have the torque required to cut and drill stainless and titanium unless I spin it up to the max and that makes it, and the bench it's bolted to, vibrate and it gets a bit

57.25 inches long, ash shaft, butterfly spliced with solid marblewood butt 3/4 jointed with a brass vacuum joint, (which adds the extra .25 of an inch, forgot that ) and mini butt, 30mm diameter butt, 9.2mm diameter brass ferrule, balanced at 16.5 inches, weighs 16.9 ounces, fitted with TS Long BA tip.
                        Again no metal added to weight the cue and it balances naturally near the joint, would be really good for UK 8 ball with the 9.2mm ferrule which started as a 10mm toothed one so has thin walls for less deflection if you believe in that 'tip end mass' bollocks.
                        One piece of marblewood left for a 3/4 cue along with some thin lengths suitable for decorative splices, will get some more when it becomes available. So that's me done for this year, hope you all like what I'm doing and if anyone is interested in one of my cues, I'm not expensive, they're all dead straight, made with care and won't break, nothing is imported ready made and simply finished and badged as mine, all made from scratch, by hand using the cue smith lathe for joint and ferrule work.

https://ibb.co/album/B4gQX0

Comment

• that is lovely looking marblewood
                          Up the TSF! :snooker:

Comment

• Lockdown project 2021
                            Partscaster electric guitar, nothing has been put together yet just laid out to see what looks best. Body will be stained black with gold grainfiller, don't know yet if I'll go for the silver or gold scratchplate. Gold one looks more orange to be honest so it could be the silver one, will be cut down anyway. Anyone for a black ash cue with gold grain filler ? should look great

Comment

• Think it will look better with out the scratch plate ,what pickups you going for ,I really like the Bare Knuckles ,been using them for years .Guitar looks nice , have you made the neck too .

Comment

• Originally Posted by mikee View Post
                                Think it will look better with out the scratch plate ,what pickups you going for ,I really like the Bare Knuckles ,been using them for years .Guitar looks nice , have you made the neck too .
                                I haven't made any of it, bought the various parts from different suppliers as I couldn't find a decent kit with the exact specs I wanted. Pick ups are Vanson humbucker sized P90's and will change the plastic nut for a brass one. Flattened and polished the frets today, will contour the body when my bigger clamps arrive, my four inch ones aren't big enough to clamp the body to my bench. Scratchplate will be cut down below the pick ups so as to only cover the lower horn up to the control plate anyway.
                                I did make one back in the day in collaboration with a friend, I made the body and he made the neck and put it togther, a BC Rich Mockingbird copy with a floyd rose trem in metallic white, sold it on as I couldn't play the thing as I learned with my hand resting on the bridge and with a floyd rose it went out of tune everytime I touched it

Same as this but with a flying V pointed headstock

Comment

Working...
                                X