Black Arrow Cue

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Comment

Wondered how long this would take before it became a witch hunt lol. Some of you on here really are like women and love drama writing your irelivent posts. Yesterday I asked for some advice on a cue maker and all I got was some really rude and unhelpful comments. It's the last time I use this site for information and advice. And just so you know where I started going off on one is basically when I was called a liar. I couldn't give a dam what cues are worth etc. All I'm interested in is the makers of these cues and how they were made etc. If that initial question warrants all this crap then I would strongly advice no one to join this site.

Comment

Ohh and in case you haven't realised yet adr is NOT called Adrian, it's Andrew

Comment

Here we go.... Conspiracy theories too. It really is like a drama on here.

Comment

Hey mate info I give is to stop people getting ripped off, if you can't see that then that's your problem

Comment

You've had plenty of advice. Problem is, you already knew the answers that you wanted to hear, and then got eggy when someone tried to save you £1000. If someone paid £2500 for a cue that isn't selling for 80% less, that suggests they've paid over the odds. That, or someone's being less that honest, and are trying to shift a cue for wildly over the market value.

Comment

Appreciate what your saying but like I've said my initial question did not warrant all this. I'm sure if someone insisted you were a liar then you would have something to say also. And as for getting Andrews name wrong then I guess I must be hung, drawn and quartered???

Comment

Anyways thanks everyone for your input and fantastic advice and help. I'm overwhelmed by the amount of support on here.

Comment

Peace out...

Comment

Oh and JRC... No hard feelings mate. Life's really is to short for drama.

Comment

Offence is taken, not implied. Jrc is ok on the forum. Let's just forget about it. Water under the bridge.

Love the Adrian rocky thing though. Made me laugh

Comment

Made me laugh too tbh. Not sure where the Adrian thing come from. I do get my wife's name mixed up from time to time too..... Not good lol

Comment

Originally Posted by Henrytheeighth View Post
                            Made me laugh too tbh. Not sure where the Adrian thing come from. I do get my wife's name mixed up from time to time too..... Not good lol
                            so long as you don't call your wife another name! lethal mistake
                            "Adrian" came from your post, a mistake for ADR I think
                            Originally Posted by Henrytheeighth View Post
                            Mate read the posts properly. I wasn't meaning ADRIAN. not another muppet aswel.
                            anyway; who were The Blackpool Billiard Works?
                            from approx. 1916 (Willie Holt and sons (?)) to at least 1975.

from what I can find out, this company came from the Willie Holt & Sons company Thornton Blackpool.
                            Willie Holt, father of Harold and Herbert - well known billiards and snooker players and all had various companies to do with billiards/snooker. Harold Holt invented the "swan-neck" rest head we know today (original name "Spannrest" or "spanrest".
                            Mr W Cartmell purchased the Blackpool Billiard Works in 1939 from Willie and Herbert Holt, even though Herbert and Harold and long stopped any connection with the firm.
                            Willie Holt was kept on as "manager" (promotional purposes I think) until he retire due to ill health 1950ish.

Blackpool Billiard Works has several locations:
                            1939-1945 Back Ribble Road, Blackpool
                            1945-1975(?) 281 Church Street, Blackpool (office and showroom)
                            1946-1950 workshop 2 Liverpool Road, Blackpool
                            1959 Blackpool Billiard Works took over (took over or merged? hostile or arrangement?) Harold Holt Billiards (formerly George Street Billiard Works) of George Street Blackpool.
                            1959-1965~ Blackpool Billiard Works workshop at George Street Blackpool
                            ~1965-1975(?) office, showroom and works all at 281 Church Street Blackpool

Why are they rare?
                            No idea, it seems that Blackpool Billiard Works sold a lot in Australia/New Zealand/South Pacific as many seem to be on AU Ebay etc

Why so valuable?
                            No idea; as with anything, it is only as valuable as someone is prepared to pay. In an auction if two people really want something the price can be artificially inflated, for that time; this does not mean that all versions of that item are worth that price from that day

Badges - I think badge on the cue in question (long rectangular) is post war - probably into the early 60s, then they used a transfer; pre-war seem to have a regular rectangle badge, white with black and red text.
                            This is only conjecture and "feel" on my part and open for more information from anyone
                            Last edited by DeanH; 10 February 2018, 11:57 AM.
                            Up the TSF! :snooker:

Comment

The beauty of a forum is the variety of answers and perspectives you get for every post - sometimes it may not be what you think or want to hear, but most people on here are passionate about all things snooker and are not intending any offense, even if it may feel otherwise. Solid answer Dean. ADRs offer of £400 appears too good to be true if someone can sell it for more...Henry?

Comment

Originally Posted by DeanH View Post
                                so long as you don't call your wife another name! lethal mistake
                                "Adrian" came from your post, a mistake for ADR I think

anyway; who were The Blackpool Billiard Works?
                                from approx. 1916 (Willie Holt and sons (?)) to at least 1975.

from what I can find out, this company came from the Willie Holt & Sons company Thornton Blackpool.
                                Willie Holt, father of Harold and Herbert - well known billiards and snooker players and all had various companies to do with billiards/snooker. Harold Holt invented the "swan-neck" rest head we know today (original name "Spannrest" or "spanrest".
                                Mr W Cartmell purchased the Blackpool Billiard Works in 1939 from Willie and Herbert Holt, even though Herbert and Harold and long stopped any connection with the firm.
                                Willie Holt was kept on as "manager" (promotional purposes I think) until he retire due to ill health 1950ish.

Blackpool Billiard Works has several locations:
                                1939-1945 Back Ribble Road, Blackpool
                                1945-1975(?) 281 Church Street, Blackpool (office and showroom)
                                1946-1950 workshop 2 Liverpool Road, Blackpool
                                1959 Blackpool Billiard Works took over )took over or merged? hostile or arrangement?) Harold Holt Billiards (formerly George Street Billiard Works) of George Street Blackpool.
                                1959-1965~ Blackpool Billiard Works workshop at George Street Blackpool
                                ~1965-1975(?) office, showroom and works all at 281 Church Street Blackpool

Why are they rare?
                                No idea, it seems that Blackpool Billiard Works sold a lot in Australia/New Zealand/South Pacific as many seem to be on AU Ebay etc

Why so valuable?
                                No idea; as with anything, it is only as valuable as someone is prepared to pay. In an auction if two people really want something the price can be artificially inflated, for that time; this does not mean that all versions of that item are worth that price from that day
                                Thank you so much Dean H, exactly what I needed. Much appreciated fella.

Comment

Working...
                                X