X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally Posted by DeanH View Post
    so long as you don't call your wife another name! lethal mistake
    "Adrian" came from your post, a mistake for ADR I think

anyway; who were The Blackpool Billiard Works?
    from approx. 1916 (Willie Holt and sons (?)) to at least 1975.

from what I can find out, this company came from the Willie Holt & Sons company Thornton Blackpool.
    Willie Holt, father of Harold and Herbert - well known billiards and snooker players and all had various companies to do with billiards/snooker. Harold Holt invented the "swan-neck" rest head we know today (original name "Spannrest" or "spanrest".
    Mr W Cartmell purchased the Blackpool Billiard Works in 1939 from Willie and Herbert Holt, even though Herbert and Harold and long stopped any connection with the firm.
    Willie Holt was kept on as "manager" (promotional purposes I think) until he retire due to ill health 1950ish.

Blackpool Billiard Works has several locations:
    1939-1945 Back Ribble Road, Blackpool
    1945-1975(?) 281 Church Street, Blackpool (office and showroom)
    1946-1950 workshop 2 Liverpool Road, Blackpool
    1959 Blackpool Billiard Works took over (took over or merged? hostile or arrangement?) Harold Holt Billiards (formerly George Street Billiard Works) of George Street Blackpool.
    1959-1965~ Blackpool Billiard Works workshop at George Street Blackpool
    ~1965-1975(?) office, showroom and works all at 281 Church Street Blackpool

Why are they rare?
    No idea, it seems that Blackpool Billiard Works sold a lot in Australia/New Zealand/South Pacific as many seem to be on AU Ebay etc

Why so valuable?
    No idea; as with anything, it is only as valuable as someone is prepared to pay. In an auction if two people really want something the price can be artificially inflated, for that time; this does not mean that all versions of that item are worth that price from that day

Badges - I think badge on the cue in question (long rectangular) is post war - probably into the early 60s, then they used a transfer; pre-war seem to have a regular rectangle badge, white with black and red text.
    This is only conjecture and "feel" on my part and open for more information from anyone
    Couldn't find any of that info on the Internet. I had all the information on B&W, Hunt & Obyrne and Riley and other companies but not Blackpool Billiard works.

Comment

Originally Posted by Henrytheeighth View Post
      Oh and JRC... No hard feelings mate. Life's really is to short for drama.
      No worries, i'm now watching the items like a hawk just in case. That cheaper one looks superb condition, and the other expensive one is an interesting design.

Comment

Originally Posted by Henrytheeighth View Post
        Couldn't find any of that info on the Internet. I had all the information on B&W, Hunt & Obyrne and Riley and other companies but not Blackpool Billiard works.
        I have publications from across the years

sad I know

Found that Back Ribble Road dates back to 1938, possibly earlier but nothing found
        Last edited by DeanH; 10 February 2018, 12:07 PM.
        Up the TSF! :snooker:

Comment

sad I know
          Thanks alot. Most of this information is lost over the years so it's good to have some kind of record. Cheers.

Comment

sad I know

Found that Back Ribble Road dates back to 1938, possibly earlier but nothing found
            Cheers mate. Much appreciated :-)

Comment

quite afew people have called adr adrian haha. should make a thread and petition to get his name changed

adrian is definitely a more marketable name. i mean, who'd wanna buy a cue off andrew when you can get one from adrian

Comment

Originally Posted by thai_son22 View Post
                quite afew people have called adr adrian haha. should make a thread and petition to get his name changed

adrian is definitely a more marketable name. i mean, who'd wanna buy a cue off andrew when you can get one from adrian
                get it all the time!
                https://www.ebay.co.uk/str/adr147

Comment

Originally Posted by bobmikeking View Post
                  Great, Lol
                  I try hard, play hard and dont always succeed, at first.!!!!:snooker:

Comment

Hmm i can't work it out, 2 very nice condition rare cues going for well below (apparent) market value and they didn't get a single bid ??

Comment

Originally Posted by jrc750 View Post
                      Hmm i can't work it out, 2 very nice condition rare cues going for well below (apparent) market value and they didn't get a single bid ??
                      Well jrc750. Your words on this thread just may have saved a poster a £600+. Well done.

Comment

ADR can you upload pictures of your Black Arrow please and the specs and price etc if you don't mind? I may be interested depending on the condition etc mate.

Comment

That black arrow for 1k+ is now up for auction. Currently at £410. Nice looking design.

Comment

Originally Posted by Mathias121 View Post
                            That black arrow for 1k+ is now up for auction. Currently at £410. Nice looking design.
                            I messaged the seller with a offer but they just want to let it run. I've got a watch on it and a certain budget so will see. Apparently it was a showpiece cue originally for the company to show off the craft skills of the cuemakers so that's probably why it's got the nice design.

Comment

ADR can you upload your pics by any chance with specs etc?

Comment

badge is a bit faded - might need a trip to glover.
                                https://www.ebay.co.uk/str/adr147

Comment

Working...
                                X