No announcement yet.

Parris delivery times = mental

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Scaling up may dent quality even more, if possible. He still churns out some quality cues - I prefer other makers myself - but let's face it, if the professionals love his cues then he can obviously produce top quality goods when needed.

I'm guessing scaling up doesn't guarantee more profits and would require an initial investment which may be a big leap for someone who is 67 - if you believe Wiki. He's already open about the fact that he doesn't make so many of the cues anymore - more quality assurance and possibly some ultimates. Scaling up also means more staff...which is a hassle to say the least.

Robert Osborne sends most of his cues to China via agents because his margins are far better. I wonder if JP is doing that too, hence he could be prioritising Chinese bulk orders via agents as this could be far more lucrative then a single order from one of us....I'm not suggesting this is true...just hypothesising as it would make good business sense for someone close to retirement.

Comment

Scaling up shatters the illusion that JP even touches some of the company's cues. I'm guessing whenever JP retires the company goes bust, irrespective of the quality of the cues. If he's 67 and has a 5 year backlog, chances are if you order an ultimate today JP won't be anywhere near it, so is it worth the premium his name attracts?

Comment

There was an interview he did with cuesports and he mentioned opening a shop in China but says he already struggles to keep his current store stocked so it's unlikely to happen.

The China part is around 10:50.
        Last edited by narl; 28 March 2019, 02:08 PM.

Comment

I believe Yes, the thought has crossed his mind. However, John is the only one who sources out the wood to be used, and John is the only one who pairs each individual shaft with each order. He is also the one who ensures that the cue meets the requirements of the order before being sent out. All this whilst checking the making of the shafts as well. For him to expand, he’ll have to delegate some portion of these aspects to others which I think he believes may have a detrimental effect on the quality. Which is not his thing!

Comment

Originally Posted by guernseygooner View Post
            I know who you mean!
            any links to these sales?

Comment

Trip through the workshop.

Comment

I think one of the other fellas might go and pick out wood with him or sometimes for him when he isn't around to do so. Don't quote me on that though

Comment

Don't know his name, but the lad in one of the video for Parris who cues up at the table, is the guy who makes all of the Ultimates. When i was talking to him, he has done for years.

Comment

Originally Posted by Woody001 View Post
                    Don't know his name, but the lad in one of the video for Parris who cues up at the table, is the guy who makes all of the Ultimates. When i was talking to him, he has done for years.
                    Thai_son mentioned there's apparently 2 that works on them now, the guy that you see in most of the parris vids doing tips etc has been there donkeys years.

This guy at 52 seconds, he's been there probably close to 20 years now.

Comment

That’s Paul the Liverpool fan...good guy:encouragement:
                      VR Ultimate Limited Edition 1 Piece Ash Cue - 58” | 9mm | 18.9oz | 29.5mm | 18”.
                      Long & Short Tele Extensions | 6” & 3” Ebony Mini Butts.
                      Peradon Blue/Black Patchwork Leather 1 Piece Wide Case.
                      Century Titanium Ferrule | ADR147 Tip | Taom V10 Chalk.

Comment

That's him. It's all Paul's fault.

I went and got a 3/4 Classic back in 1990 or 91, sometime around there, and took it back a couple years ago for SD. Was talking to him for a while. He couldn't get over how straight the grain was on my cue. Good lad.

Comment

I have compared my Maximus Legend 1 piece at the club and other venues with number of J,P. cues and frankly apart from the badge the I Maximus is equal and in some cases superior , The minute a celeb starts using something (Trainers,Sportswear,Make Up, Fashion items ) The price goes through the roof . As a famous jazz drummer think it was a guy called Phil Seaman once stated while on T.V. I will use any old SH** as long as they pay me MIND YOU HE WAS A BIT P***** At the time and he lost his endorsement deal.
                          Last edited by denja; 29 March 2019, 08:24 AM.

Comment

That's him. It's all Paul's fault.

I went and got a 3/4 Classic back in 1990 or 91, sometime around there, and took it back a couple years ago for SD. Was talking to him for a while. He couldn't get over how straight the grain was on my cue. Good lad.
                            Yup - definately Paul - the other one is George - those are the two that you see in the shop mostly with the other guys working round back. Both of them are great folks.. (so if your name is John or Ringo go ask for a job...its a shoe in)

Comment

Sorry, wrong thread.
                              Last edited by fkhan; 1 May 2019, 11:25 AM.

Comment

what bull. Firstly if he had such strict quality control why is there so many cues with crappy splicing coming out of his workshop. You tell me other cuemakers also don't choose their own wood what with all the hype nowadays around grain etc. Then my man you are either stupid or naïve or worse both(or maybe its in your own business interest seeing the amount of JP cues you sell). Customers are more informed these days due to the internet making people aware of other possible cue designs and thus they are more demanding. No more can cue shops or workshops get away with substandard work. JP is just on a good wicket and credit to him for his marketing efforts but seriously the man produces crap in general.

Originally Posted by FMeister View Post
                                I believe Yes, the thought has crossed his mind. However, John is the only one who sources out the wood to be used, and John is the only one who pairs each individual shaft with each order. He is also the one who ensures that the cue meets the requirements of the order before being sent out. All this whilst checking the making of the shafts as well. For him to expand, he’ll have to delegate some portion of these aspects to others which I think he believes may have a detrimental effect on the quality. Which is not his thing!

Comment

Working...
                                X