Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Well my playing cue is 18.5 and 9.7 tip and I can say that there isn't a real difference in how they play,you can perform all range of shots with both cues... The only problem for me is that 20 oz cue can feel quite heavy if you play 3-4 hours ...
    You cannot improve your game if you don't have a cue and snooker table
    BTW vucko means wolfie

Comment

• Originally Posted by throtts View Post
      ..... so I am jumping 4oz up. Just wondered if anyone really believes and notices that the weight makes a significant difference.
      That is a MASSIVE difference !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
      You will definitely notice that, in fact you will struggle like no one's business to get used to that !

Comment

Just curious really. I believe the average weight is 17.5oz and the average tip being 9.5mm. I use an 16oz cue at the moment, so I am jumping 4oz up. Just wondered if anyone really believes and notices that the weight makes a significant difference.
        Why are you jumping 4 oz without knowing how it feels .

Comment

Just curious really. I believe the average weight is 17.5oz and the average tip being 9.5mm. I use an 16oz cue at the moment, so I am jumping 4oz up. Just wondered if anyone really believes and notices that the weight makes a significant difference.
          You're going from very light to very heavy, don't do it!
          #jeSuisByrom

Comment

• Hi Guys,

I did not spec the cue, the Mrs did as a pressie to go with my new table. She knew I wanted to go heavier, so she spec 3/4 20oz cue thinking thats not alot. Think I will give them a call in the morning and just go up to 18oz.

10 yr ago I had a 3/4 cue, it was heavier than my 2 piece 16oz Cue Craft cue which I use now, so from talking in the recent past to the Mrs she knew I wanted to revert back to a 3/4 cue and a heavier one at that. However, I was going to leave it but the weight issue was bugging me. Should be no problem changing the weight, it was only ordered Friday.

Many thanks for your help everyone.
            Last edited by throtts; 20 June 2011, 09:12 PM.
            JP Majestic
            3/4
            57"
            17oz
            9.5mm Elk

Comment

Anyone on here use a 10mm tip with a 20oz cue?..
              Its funny you should mention that, thats the exact spec of the i bought recently.

I knew when i bought the cue that i was taking a chance on 20oz being suitable but the grain on the cue was exactly what i was after so i took a chance that i could adapt to a 20oz cue and 10mm tip, to cut a long story short, my cue is away having the shaft thinned slightly, being re-weighting and i'm having the tip size taken down to 9.5mm.

I found a couple of problems trying to play with a 20oz cue and a 10mm tip, the shaft feels too thick having a 10mm tip. Also i found that a 20oz cue combined with a 10mm tip doesn't give you much feel with the cue ball, its ok on certain shots but in general i felt the shaft feels too thick and the cue too heavy. That kind of heavy spec isn't good on quick tables where your touch needs to be good, its hard to judge your touch when your playing with something so heavy and thick.

Ive now gone for something inbetween what i used to play with which is a 9.5mm tip and an 18 3/4 ounce cue, around 9.5mm seems to be quite a common tip size from what ive read on here.
              Last edited by The Stig; 21 June 2011, 12:28 AM.
              sigpic

Comment

• Originally Posted by The Stig View Post
                Its funny you should mention that, thats the exact spec of the i bought recently.

I knew when i bought the cue that i was taking a chance on 20oz being suitable but the grain on the cue was exactly what i was after so i took a chance that i could adapt to a 20oz cue and 10mm tip, to cut a long story short, my cue is away having the shaft thinned slightly, being re-weighting and i'm having the tip size taken down to 9.5mm.

I found a couple of problems trying to play with a 20oz cue and a 10mm tip, the shaft feels too thick having a 10mm tip. Also i found that a 20oz cue combined with a 10mm tip doesn't give you much feel with the cue ball, its ok on certain shots but in general i felt the shaft feels too thick and the cue too heavy. That kind of heavy spec isn't good on quick tables where your touch needs to be good, its hard to judge your touch when your playing with something so heavy and thick.

Ive now gone for something inbetween what i used to play with which is a 9.5mm tip and an 18 3/4 ounce cue, around 9.5mm seems to be quite a common tip size from what ive read on here.
                My mate was using 10mm with 20oz cue, he told me he still wanted to add more weight to 23 oz, very very hard to control, to me i'm prefer light cue, ard 16-16.5oz.
                http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a5NJt...eature=related
                http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ObX6G...eature=related
                http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vzNirO2VkH4
                http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y1uYI...eature=related

Comment

• I had my last one made with 10mm tip and a slimmer taper. It is a 3/4 cue and the weight came out at 18.25 oz. It seems to play better than my other cues, BUT, the balance was 1.5 inches further back than I ordered and that is the only prob with it. I can certainly get more backspin with this cue but not get used to the balance.

Comment

• Originally Posted by 888 View Post
                    My mate was using 10mm with 20oz cue, he told me he still wanted to add more weight to 23 oz.
                    Someone i practice with has a 24oz Hunt and Osbourne cue, ive had a few knocks with it and its definately not for me, i cant see how he uses it

Comment

• Not seen any Cue guru Cues in this thread yet, so.......

http://i1082.photobucket.com/albums/...DSCF0007-2.jpg
                      http://thecueguru.weebly.com/

Comment

• Very nice, Jason.

Comment

• Nice cues Jason ..

Comment

• Some nice pics there. I would buy the Powerglide Connosieur for sure. I am the proud owner of a small collection (2 John Parris, 1 Trevor White, 2 Northwest, 1 Hunt and O'B, 1 1983 Powerglide Senator). Always interested in handspliced Powerglides. (PS - One John Parris is a 20 year old 2 piece signed by the 4 1990 World Semi Finalists at the Crucible that year......)

Comment

• Originally Posted by ch147 View Post
                              I would buy the Powerglide Connosieur for sure.
                              She is a bute indeed.............

Comment

• Originally Posted by ch147 View Post
                                Some nice pics there. I would buy the Powerglide Connosieur for sure. I am the proud owner of a small collection (2 John Parris, 1 Trevor White, 2 Northwest, 1 Hunt and O'B, 1 1983 Powerglide Senator). Always interested in handspliced Powerglides. (PS - One John Parris is a 20 year old 2 piece signed by the 4 1990 World Semi Finalists at the Crucible that year......)
                                Sounds like a cool collection hotpot ( esp. that one signed by the 1990 semifinalists). Davis, White, Parrott & Hendry? Those were the days...

Comment

Working...
                                X