This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally Posted by DeanH View Post
    Looks like how the DeRoo signature is done, yes Airin how is this done?
    cheers
    Lol Dean, already answered, try reading the posts

Comment

• Originally Posted by jrc750 View Post
      Lol Dean, already answered, try reading the posts
      oops, yep, just found it,
      missed a page
      Up the TSF! :snooker:

Comment

• Nice Olde ash, just a shame the grains not aligned with the badge Back then though i don't think that was something they put much thought into, my Olde ash has very nice grain, however the best grain is with the badge facing downwards, im used to playing with the badge upwards Annoyiong as it has one grain point right next to the ferrule which i prefer:

Comment

• hi jr i had a gbl same as that tip were too small at 9mm so swopped it for a ions tom newman copy

Comment

• Originally Posted by jrc750
            Update on my current cues, i must try and resist a bargain someday , i'm hoping that once my Robin Cook cue comes my searching will be over and a mini sale will happen, but will still keep a couple no doubt. At the moment the GBL cue is the best ive ever played with

great collection, I really do like that Welsh Pool Trading! :snooker:
            "You have to play the game like it means nothing, when in fact it means everything to you" Steve Davis.

Comment

It is a great cue, and was an absolute bargain at the time (around £115 delivered) and has been worked on by Dan Shelton, but as you can see its a lot shorter than the others at just under 57" so i don't actually use it anymore. One of my mates uses it when we play every other week, he keeps joking that he should buy it off me, but havn't seen the money lol, i think i could re sell it easily enough so no worries ehh
              Let me know if you do, I've been meaning to try out a shorter cue! :snooker:
              "You have to play the game like it means nothing, when in fact it means everything to you" Steve Davis.

Comment

• Me too, it's a lovely cue that should come home

Comment

• That ye olde ash is so dark, love that colour.
                  www.AuroraCues.com

Comment

Update on my current cues, i must try and resist a bargain someday , i'm hoping that once my Robin Cook cue comes my searching will be over and a mini sale will happen, but will still keep a couple no doubt. At the moment the GBL cue is the best ive ever played with

Nice collection there mate and even better if they were bargains ! you should never miss a bargain.......;-)

Comment

• Originally Posted by CueAntW147 View Post
                      Nice collection there mate and even better if they were bargains ! you should never miss a bargain.......;-)
                      Tell me about it

Comment

• Originally Posted by jrc750 View Post
                        Tell me about it
                        been polishing your ferrules as well mate ?

Comment

• Originally Posted by CueAntW147 View Post
                          been polishing your ferrules as well mate ?
                          Yeah i do it while waiting for the other geezer to finish his break

Comment

• Whats the best way to polish a ferrule? 00 grade wire wool?

Comment

• Originally Posted by narl View Post
                              Whats the best way to polish a ferrule? 00 grade wire wool?
                              Well that's what i use, or the occasional bit of 2000 grade car finishing paper, some people say don't over do it and should never use wire wool etc, but if your careful i can't see the problem

Comment

• Originally Posted by poolqjunkie View Post
                                What Deroo does is that he puts a peel-off decal (like a sticker or an instant tatoo) on the cue before he sprays some thick varnish over, which is a very common way of marking 9 ball cues. Most lower end cues are marked that way. The higher end ones are usually engraved or signed or both, but some semi-high end US pool cues also use decal. I believe some very cheap snooker house cues are maked that way, too.

I have seen several Deroo's black ebony cues covered with a black dye under thick layer of varnish so I suspect if he puts on a real proper badge the black dye will cover up the badge making things quite messy. Using a decal will save him a lot of time and make things much easier for him. Also since his snooker cues are made like US 9 ball cues may be he just likes to mark them like one?

A decal is much cheaper to buy and can even be printed with a printer at home. If the decal did not go in the middle it can just be peeled off and re-done easily. It costs next to nothing and takes next to no skill to put it on properly.

With a real badge, if your hole is not drilled in the middle or if it was drilled too deep or not flat or even on the bottom, you are in a lot of trouble. You may even have to re-do the front splice if you really mess up.

When he tries to sand his finish on his lathe you can see that the flat is not always evenly sanded so when you look at his cues from the butt joint on they are not always symmetrical. This is because when you try to turn a cue with a flat on a lathe in one direction the flat will not be sanded even on both sides. I dont have this problem because I just sand and polish by hand.

Kevin makes a very nice playing cues. His cues play very solid and responsive on average.

But I just want to point out that my cues are made and constructed completely different--nothing like his and I have no interest nor intention to make anything like that whatsoever.

What I did was that I installed a real badge just like what most real snooker cue makers such as Mike, Robert...do, it is much more time consuming and requires more skill but I believe it looks much better and it is the proper way to mark a snooker cue. I am no interested in taking short cuts.

My logo is my pride and I am not going to represent my work with a piece of peel-off sticker.

When I install the badge I make sure the badge is flush and level with the cue by hand polishing and planning. My round badges are laser cut in Germany and they are very precise and round. I need to use a rubber hammer to hammer the badge slightly to make it go into the hole. Although I put epoxy on the bottom of the hole the fit is so precise no epoxy will come out through any gap aorund the badge because there is no gap. So, if I put too much epoxy they will just all got trapped in the bottom and raise the badge.

Since the fonts are hot stamped on the bottom--not on the top--of the badge, my logo is not printed on the surface but it actually sits underneath the surface, giving it a more 3-D look.

I have included a few pictures here. It is easier to see on a rounded butt cue:

my black maple!!!
                                when???
                                waiting。。。 waiting。。。。waiting。。。。。。

Comment

Working...
                                X