X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally Posted by ADR147 View Post
    never seen him sell one!
    Well they have to be giong somewhere, with the amount of cues he's had over the years he must have a closet full of them by this point if theyre not selling. Can picture him opening the closet and them falling out like spears.
    Last edited by narl; 24 October 2012, 03:57 PM.

Comment

• Trouble is how do you rectify a problem like this? It needs to be re-spliced (again) and could add to the weight or make the butt thicker and could end up looking like a very funny cue once its been re-done and re-done. The value of the cue will be depreciating in value anyway everytime repairs are undertaken as its obvious what work has been done. Didn't Trevor recently get the measurements wrong on a repair on the cue he made for Higgins. Even the best make mistakes and that for a pro, the way some of you talk its as though this is a major issue. Its a slight cosmetic fault, I've seen hundreds of cues with splices or points out down the years, you know what though, if the cue plays well, who cares really!

Comment

• **Post Pictures of your cue!**

It'll probably have to be planed off then redone from the looks of it.

Comment

• http://s1156.beta.photobucket.com/us...tml?sort=3&o=5
          http://s1156.beta.photobucket.com/us...tml?sort=3&o=3
          http://s1156.beta.photobucket.com/us...tml?sort=3&o=4
          http://s1156.beta.photobucket.com/us...tml?sort=3&o=2
          http://s1156.beta.photobucket.com/us...tml?sort=3&o=1
          http://s1156.beta.photobucket.com/us...tml?sort=3&o=0

Got this sin bin cue from jim evans, absolute bargain.
          58 1/4"
          16oz
          9.5mm
          28mm butt
          balance at 16"

Only reason it was a sin bin is cos of the grain, ive seen a lot worse sold for full price, so the flat was put on the side grain

Really nice alternating paduk and teak butt splices with darker veneers on the paduk, pictures really dont do it justice really nice looking cue and very nice hit off it too
          Last edited by farrelld91; 24 October 2012, 07:06 PM.

Comment

• Originally Posted by kadobau View Post
            I always use this term for a JP cue.... "Factory Cues"
            Correct me if I am wrong....... Sorry, no offense to JP's fans

If I have the budget, I'll get a MW & TW..... never never JP.
            Currently only mastercraft & dunn.

I saw Jason's sinbin cue, is actually nice.... but I was late !!

Cheers ~~~~~~~
            Maybe what the lad means is that if you buy a wooldridge, cook, white etc then it's made by themselves, but if you buy a parris then it's made by one of the other employees....? But doesn't it say in mw's site that a cue may not be 'fully' made by him but will have his involvement somewhere and it's up to him as to whether it goes out? (might be wrong there, been a while since I read his site). My bro got a second hand parris recently off a member here and it's lovely. If i was to buy a cue from cue makers of that level, i would hope that they were as good as they can be.
            :snooker:

Comment

• Originally Posted by cueman View Post
              Trouble is how do you rectify a problem like this? It needs to be re-spliced (again) and could add to the weight or make the butt thicker and could end up looking like a very funny cue once its been re-done and re-done. The value of the cue will be depreciating in value anyway everytime repairs are undertaken as its obvious what work has been done. Didn't Trevor recently get the measurements wrong on a repair on the cue he made for Higgins. Even the best make mistakes and that for a pro, the way some of you talk its as though this is a major issue. Its a slight cosmetic fault, I've seen hundreds of cues with splices or points out down the years, you know what though, if the cue plays well, who cares really!
              Fair, my cue off raymo is a good playing cue, hits the ball nicely, doesn't look as 'perfect' as some but it plays as well!

Comment

• Originally Posted by haggishunter View Post
                Fair, my cue off raymo is a good playing cue, hits the ball nicely, doesn't look as 'perfect' as some but it plays as well!
                that is my point but for some people as soon as the word Parris appears it gives them licence to bad mouth him, as per usual on here. Thing is if you don't like him don't go to him for cues. If you have a problem go to him, don't start moaning on here without going to the cue maker first.

Comment

• I'm sure John didn't know that it was sent out like that, whoever sent it out maybe presumed if it's going somewhere foreign they won't go through the hassle of sending back...
                  Don't let the fear of losing be greater than the excitement of winning...

Comment

• Originally Posted by cueman View Post
                    that is my point but for some people as soon as the word Parris appears it gives them licence to bad mouth him, as per usual on here. Thing is if you don't like him don't go to him for cues. If you have a problem go to him, don't start moaning on here without going to the cue maker first.
                    Not at all, I've had 2 JP cues and never a bad one. But that's just a bag of shi.. isn't it? Trying to defend the indefensible just makes you sound like a JP fanboy. If the Tsf hobby makers wouldn't send it out, that tells you all you need to know... and they wouldn't be charging the amount JP is either.
                    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
                    Old cue collector --
                    Cue Sales: http://oldcues.co.uk/index.php?id=for_sale_specials
                    (yes I know they're not cheap, I didn't intend them to be!..)
                    ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Comment

• In my opinion things like that can happen at John Parris
                      as they must be so busy although there is no excuse for it!
                      I'm still learning all the time and yes can splice cues and the bottom points
                      may have been out which is a cosmetic thing and doesn't affect the cue in anyway!
                      Me like others at the early stage of cue making strive to perfect this!!
                      Just takes time and lots of practice.
                      I'm sure John Parris would sort you out if you explained!

Comment

• Originally Posted by raymo147 View Post
                        In my opinion things like that can happen at John Parris
                        as they must be so busy although there is no excuse for it!
                        I'm still learning all the time and yes can splice cues and the bottom points
                        may have been out which is a cosmetic thing and doesn't affect the cue in anyway!
                        Me like others at the early stage of cue making strive to perfect this!!
                        Just takes time and lots of practice.
                        I'm sure John Parris would sort you out if you explained!
                        I guess what may occur at parris may be that they are taking too many orders and so maybe the QC isn't catching the little errors perhaps? Surely they must be the busiest makers out there (no disrespect to the others )

Comment

• Perhaps it may not be John himself making the cues....??

I don't want to fanboy other makers, but the current cue I'm using (the maker will know as he is a member here) is by a country mile better than any of the 3 parris cues I've had previously. The intelligent among you may not take long to investigate this ;-)

You may get an amazing Parris, you may not; it's all what you like personally and your expectations.

Comment

• Firstly I own a beautiful JPU and JP paragon so I am not in the "I hate parris club" as he does make some lovely cues (and some shockers) but I recently chose to send my John parris ultimate to robin cook to have it refinished new ferrule new tip etc as I've seen some shocking work come out of parris workshop in the last 12 months on the forum and 1st hand. I'm guessing this must be down to new staff and less experienced staff doing work and John not being able to check every single cue that leaves the place inc alteration jobs, due to him being so busy. I personally feel robin cook and trevor white are the people I would trust the most with my cue as they are very experience cuemakers at the top of their field, not too expensive and I know the work will be carried out by them and nobody else. As most of you are aware trevor is not currently taking on any alterations or work on cues that are not 1 of his which is totally understandable so I sent my cue to robin cook. Even though the work I had done was minor I knew it would be great as I've had alterations, retapering etc done by robin before. Robin was quick to respond and even rang me on a Sunday to let me know that he was starting work on the cue. As expected when I received the cue back everything was immaculate and the cue felt better than new with a lovely oiled finish and the ferrule fitted nicely. I've also had cues respliced by robin and every time the work is amazing and I cannot recommend him enough. It's a shame but even though I play with a John parris cue he is not the 1st person I would send my cue to for any work.
                            Last edited by rob s; 24 October 2012, 11:20 PM.
                            77 in a match, 97 in a line up

Comment

• Originally Posted by perpetualboredom View Post
                              It'll bother the next owner (and your wallet) if you ever sold it..
                              Bang on with that statment !!

Comment

• Tip expectation of quality is high and expected with Parris
                                but you don't always get it.

Comment

Working...
                                X