GBL shop Anyone been??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• GBL shop Anyone been??

So my 40th bDay is coming up in a few weeks, me and the missus are planning a trip to North Yorkshire for a few days . She’s actually agreed to the idea of dropping into GBL shop so I can take a look at possibly buying a new cue for the special occasion!

Before I confirm an appointment I thought I’d check if any of you here have had any dealings with GBL?? What is the shop actually like? What could I expect from the staff regards trying different cues? Will they try the ‘hard sell’ then try and get me in and out a.s.a.p (which I really don’t like) or will I have as much time as I like to try different cues and get some expert advice (no pressure).

I have my eye on several from viewing their website and have confirmed they are in stock to try so I can’t wait to see them and try those out! If say I really love the butt design of one cue but the weight or length aren’t quite right can I order a cue made to my own specification??

Any help or reviews on this would be greatly appreciated!

Cheers
    Steve

not been myself, way too far unfortunately but many on here have and I have only read very good things about the place and the staff; some say they live too close as they are always in there

Many have said you can try out as many cues as you feel necessary

good luck with the hunt, let us know how you get on
    Last edited by DeanH; 30 June 2020, 08:07 AM.
    Up the TSF! :snooker:

Comment

Thanks Dean!

Comment

Never been but would love to some day.

Stu is extremely helpful and not into hard sell tactics. When I bought a cue a few years back, I picked out a few and asked him to try them out for me after telling him what sort of flex I was after. He actually recommended the cheaper of the 3.

If you can't find anything, you can order but you would have to wait for it to come with the next batch he gets in - possibly 6 months. Pretty sure you would find something. I have heard of people spending all day in there trying cues out!

Comment

Originally Posted by guernseygooner View Post
          Never been but would love to some day.

Stu is extremely helpful and not into hard sell tactics. When I bought a cue a few years back, I picked out a few and asked him to try them out for me after telling him what sort of flex I was after. He actually recommended the cheaper of the 3.

If you can't find anything, you can order but you would have to wait for it to come with the next batch he gets in - possibly 6 months. Pretty sure you would find something. I have heard of people spending all day in there trying cues out!
          Sounds great! Knowing me I’ll pick out the first cue I try ... I’ll just have to pretend I’m not sure just to spend a little longer in there!

I’m really looking forward to trying one of the Maximus Legend Plus cues I’ve seen. Not sure about shaft flex etc as I’ve only ever used the same cue since I was a teen. Maybe I should take mine with me for comparison purposes.?

Comment

Originally Posted by Danger Steve View Post

Sounds great! Knowing me I’ll pick out the first cue I try ... I’ll just have to pretend I’m not sure just to spend a little longer in there!

I’m really looking forward to trying one of the Maximus Legend Plus cues I’ve seen. Not sure about shaft flex etc as I’ve only ever used the same cue since I was a teen. Maybe I should take mine with me for comparison purposes.?
            Probably not a bad idea. Stu used to be a pro so knows his stuff. Maybe get some coaching at the same time?

Comment

Originally Posted by guernseygooner View Post

Probably not a bad idea. Stu used to be a pro so knows his stuff. Maybe get some coaching at the same time?
              Best tell the missus to pack a good book!

Comment

Let us know how you get on Steve, I'm sure you will love it. Better safe than sorry, tell the Mrs to bring a sleeping bag
                This is how you play darts ,MVG two nines in the same match!
                https://youtu.be/yqTGtwOpHu8

Comment

Taking your own cue is a great idea. If you show it to Stu he’ll be able to look you out some cues to try which have the same characteristics. That’s always assuming you want the same? Just remember tho no two cues are alike so getting something identical is probably not going to be possible.

Comment

Originally Posted by Nifty50 View Post

Taking your own cue is a great idea. If you show it to Stu he’ll be able to look you out some cues to try which have the same characteristics. That’s always assuming you want the same? Just remember tho no two cues are alike so getting something identical is probably not going to be possible.
                    It’ll probably be useful to compare say a screw shot on the table in the shop with my cue and then try the same shot with a different cue to see what kind of response I get and if it feels better or worse and use that as a guide to finding ‘The Cue’

Comment

Good luck.

Comment

It’ll probably be useful to compare say a screw shot on the table in the shop with my cue and then try the same shot with a different cue to see what kind of response I get and if it feels better or worse and use that as a guide to finding ‘The Cue’
                        Remember the cues you will testing will probably have a bog standard Elk or something similar so may not be what you’re used to.

Comment

Originally Posted by Nifty50 View Post
                          Remember the cues you will testing will probably have a bog standard Elk or something similar so may not be what you’re used to.
                          Hmmm.. good point, not sure how you could allow for that. I suppose if they all have a similar tip they are comparable with each other, just not with mine. Not that I can even remember what I last fitted! It is nicely worn in though let’s put it hat way!

Comment

I could be wrong but I'm sure I've read others saying Stu will fit a tip for you to try a cue, don't take my word on that.
                            This is how you play darts ,MVG two nines in the same match!
                            https://youtu.be/yqTGtwOpHu8

Comment

Stephen Maguire thanked Stu Green for his new maple cue , then it won him ?260,000 ! He has titanium metalwork on it , great advertisement for Green Baize shop

Comment

Working...
                              X