No announcement yet.

10ft or 12ft dilemma!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

From reading what Philip has said above it would tend to suggest that a 12 X 6 table is the better choice with less sacrifice all round, cheers !!
    " and for those of you who are watching in black and white, the pink is next to the green. "

Comment

I have two enquiries at the moment for 10ft or full size dilemma ?

I gave this information to the latest person who wanted my experiences in fitting a large table into a small room with less cue room

place 4 high back chairs to the size of table you require

10ft by 5ft

or 12ft by 6ft

tie string around them to form the slate size at around 31 inch high , now take a cue and walk around this imaginary slate bed and try cueing to a ball on the cushion

this will give you the real image to playing with that table in the room it is going into .
      if you think a full size is going to be frustrating on close to cush shots then go for the 10ft

one of the enquiries was for a table with sloping roof making walking around the table slightly bent over all the time , again the 4 chair trick will give you real time experience in that room
      better to find out this way than the expense of putting what you think will be ok only to find it frustrating to play .
      By buying and fitting a table you then you will have a table you will not play on and wasted time and expense finding out the wrong way , so find out with the 4 chair and string trick first
      [/SIGPIC]http://www.gclbilliards.com

Comment

Thanks Geoff I will certainly give that a try and see if it helps. I know a full size will be tight and will be a pain in the back side for certain shots when playing a match but I just can't help but feel as prob 80 % of table time will be practicing that a full size table will be more beneficial. I am really struggling to come to a decision and the fact that 8 legged 10ft tables ( which is what I'd want if going for 10 ft ) are harder to come by and 10ft tables in general usually cost quite a bit more than full size tables cause there is a lot more choice obviously I keep thinking full size is the way to go. I will certainly do what you have suggested above though Geoff and hopefully get a better feel of exactly what sort of room I have to play with. Thanks
        Last edited by craig147; 11 December 2015, 06:15 PM.
        " and for those of you who are watching in black and white, the pink is next to the green. "

Comment

Originally Posted by craig147 View Post
          Thanks Geoff I will certainly give that a try and see if it helps. I know a full size will be tight and will be a pain in the back side for certain shots when playing a match but I just can't help but feel as prob 80 % of table time will be practicing that a full size table will be more beneficial. I am really struggling to come to a decision and the fact that 8 legged 10ft tables ( which is what I'd want if going for 10 ft ) are harder to come by and 10ft tables in general usually cost quite a bit more than full size tables cause there is a lot more choice obviously I keep thinking full size is the way to go. I will certainly do what you have suggested above though Geoff and hopefully get a better feel of exactly what sort of room I have to play with. Thanks
          Hi Craig I had a 10ft before my full size table & although I knew I could fit and play on a 12ft I talked myself into a 10ft just to please the wife

Anyway first of all had it all delivered and fitted and it was a great table but as soon as I got down and played shots I knew I had made a mistake and considering the 10ft was expensive it had to go & it was then I sold that and had a beautiful Riley 12ft delivered.

If you are a little tight Craig it won't stop you doing 99% of practice routines and of course to improve at all in snooker a 12ft will be the best by far.

What I also done was I kept telling myself I made the right decision but my head was telling me different.

Comment

Originally Posted by Triedandtested View Post
            Hi Craig I had a 10ft before my full size table & although I knew I could fit and play on a 12ft I talked myself into a 10ft just to please the wife

Anyway first of all had it all delivered and fitted and it was a great table but as soon as I got down and played shots I knew I had made a mistake and considering the 10ft was expensive it had to go & it was then I sold that and had a beautiful Riley 12ft delivered.

If you are a little tight Craig it won't stop you doing 99% of practice routines and of course to improve at all in snooker a 12ft will be the best by far.

What I also done was I kept telling myself I made the right decision but my head was telling me different.

Thanks for that mate that is exactly what I am worried about! Nothing worse than regrets when spending a lot of money, your wife must be very understanding ! Ha
            It certainly will be a bit tight but my worry is I get a 10ft Table and still end up having to go to the club just as often to practice on a full size table.I will still get good matches in at my club as don't want to stop going as the atmosphere is great but at same time it will be good to play matches at home so provided I feel a 12ft is not unplayable in the space I have got then I will more than likely go down that route! really appreciate all the comments it definitely helps !

Comment

What is the size of room you have your table in mate if you happen to know?

Comment

What is the size of room you have your table in mate if you happen to know?
                From inside wall to wall length wise Craig it's 21 and 3/4 and width just under 16 and a half ft.

Comment

From inside wall to wall length wise Craig it's 21 and 3/4 and width just under 16 and a half ft.
                  And do you feel you have enough room mate or are you hampered in any way at all?

Comment

And do you feel you have enough room mate or are you hampered in any way at all?
                    Absolutely fine Craig, play against friends & family, practice routines.

Comment

Absolutely fine Craig, play against friends & family, practice routines.
                      Great stuff mate you must be in your element ! So did you Buy both your 10 and 12 foot tables brand new if you don't mind me asking?

Comment

Great stuff mate you must be in your element ! So did you Buy both your 10 and 12 foot tables brand new if you don't mind me asking?
                        I paid £500 for the 10ft from a website & this had to be stored & collected by a table fitter who charged £700 which including fitting so £1200 in total.

The 12ft I bought was from a company who also purchased tables so they bought my 10ft for £500 which I was happy with and paid them another £900 for the Riley 12ft which was then delivered and installed.
                        My table is now fitted with a Hainsworth precision cloth which plays so much better then my previous Strachan tournament gold. I also have the room on a thermostat with a constant 21 degrees and don't take long to click off again & of course a decent dehumidifier in the corner.

Another problem or mistake I made was I kept saying to myself it's only 2ft shorter in length and only 1ft shorter in width it's nearly a full size, that's totally wrong in real terms the difference in size is actually massive and you notice this because the 10ft playing with 15 reds it's very cluttered and at times impossible to have any sort of game, its then you realise the comparison.

Comment

I paid £500 for the 10ft from a website & this had to be stored & collected by a table fitter who charged £700 which including fitting so £1200 in total.

The 12ft I bought was from a company who also purchased tables so they bought my 10ft for £500 which I was happy with and paid them another £900 for the Riley 12ft which was then delivered and installed.
                          My table is now fitted with a Hainsworth precision cloth which plays so much better then my previous Strachan tournament gold. I also have the room on a thermostat with a constant 21 degrees and don't take long to click off again & of course a decent dehumidifier in the corner.

Another problem or mistake I made was I kept saying to myself it's only 2ft shorter in length and only 1ft shorter in width it's nearly a full size, that's totally wrong in real terms the difference in size is actually massive and you notice this because the 10ft playing with 15 reds it's very cluttered and at times impossible to have any sort of game, its then you realise the comparison.
                          A dehumidifier is something I have kind of overlooked although I have heard them mentioned on other threads.Is there any specific manufactures/models you could recommend? Also are they costly to run? I will put the room on a stat to keep it at set temperature ( thinking 2 or 3 dimplex wall heaters should be sufice ) but I am unsure as to whether to put under table heaters in or not as this is just an additional running cost and may not be worth the hassle. A lot to think about really when trying to get a snooker room with the right conditions it seems! What happend to just flinging a table up in a room and away you play! lol

Comment

10ft or 12ft dilemma!

it has been said before that if you have consistent ambient room temp and humidity then under table heaters are not necessary.
                            Up the TSF! :snooker:

Comment

Meant to also add, great point above mate ! This was my worry that a 10ft table would become cluttered and struggle to really have a proper game so to speak. Really interesting to hear from someone who has had experience with both tables although you do have slightly longer room than myself. Also glad you mentioned the cloth as I have heard mixed reviews regarding the hainsworth precision against the strachan tournament some saying the hainsworth does not last anywhere near as long and also it is a lot harder to fit as can tear when getting fitted, would'nt think this issue would be the customers though surely.

Comment

Originally Posted by DeanH View Post
                                it has been said before that if you have consistent ambient room temp and humidity then under table heaters are not necessary.
                                Cheers Dean ! that was kind of what I was thinking but good to hear this is the general consensus!

Comment

Working...
                                X