Pocket size for beginners

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally Posted by barrywhite View Post
    Nah, 3 1/2'' is plenty to construct tons. With 3 3/4'' you can smash em in Trump style and a wee bit more again. It's all relative to the ball, which is 2 1/16''. At 4'' we've almost got enough space to pot two balls at the same time in the same pocket. At 4 1/8'' we can pot two balls at the same time and at 4 1/4'' we can do so comfortably and do so easily at 4 1/2''. My view is that novices should be practising their potting at one end of the table, not going for long pots until they've attained accuracy anyway.

So if they practise potting around the pink spot and black spot areas, they should be able to build up accuracy to cope with 3.5-3.75'' pockets. If they're struggling with 4-6ft pots something is wrong and a coach or good player advice is necessary. A lot of players will offer advice if asked. Most clubs know of a coach. This is were owners should direct their clients and get the guys hooked at the same time. As someone said, a lot of folk give snooker a go having tried English pool but pool tables can be equally difficult due to the lack of rubber in the pocket jaws (usually just wood behind the cloth, hence the diagonal cut) and potting down a pool rail requires some skill as most tables aren't level or cared for properly. So these players should be used to tight holes anyway and not expect US 9-ball sized pockets on a snooker table. A player who can't hit big breaks to begin with but keeps coming back and respects the game and what the pro talent is about is a proper snooker player IMO. No compromise asked; none given. REAL.

Snooker in China isn't booming because Star etc sell tables with 4'' pockets.
    I've always learned on 3.5" pockets. Many don't realise how even an 8th smaller in pocket size is actually massive.

Comment

Originally Posted by Leo View Post
      I've always learned on 3.5" pockets. Many don't realise how even an 8th smaller in pocket size is actually massive.
      Defo. 3.5 is plenty. I'm so glad Geoff has clued us in. I think that Star should alter the template and just make 3.5'' pocket tables. I'm not for 3.25 cuz how can you practice the 'trump' shots if the table won't take it? I think the balance between safety and potting has shifted but it's ok so let's all go with that size. I can't say for definite but I think the match tables I play on are this size. I'll take my ruler next time to measure them. A lot of folk look up to the pro players and have the ambition to play the shots they see on tv, so we need pocket sizes the same as them.

Comment

Has anyone seen a snooker table with four inch pockets? ( pics please if you have them)That's nine ball size, I'd dread to see what anything above four looks like.
        This is how you play darts ,MVG two nines in the same match!
        https://youtu.be/yqTGtwOpHu8

Comment

Originally Posted by itsnoteasy View Post
          Has anyone seen a snooker table with four inch pockets? ( pics please if you have them)That's nine ball size, I'd dread to see what anything above four looks like.
          3 and 5/8 is to big, anything over that and especially 4 inches is monstrous and I would also like to see pics of 4 inch openings.

Comment

You have to see a fair bit of the slate edge in the pocket at that size, unless they widen the bits taken out the slate as well but then there is no going back I suppose.

Comment

Originally Posted by Leo View Post
              3 and 5/8 is to big, anything over that and especially 4 inches is monstrous and I would also like to see pics of 4 inch openings.
              I think there's one near me. I don't go there much for the obvious reason but if I'm over there some time, I'll try and do a phone pic.

Me mate who is an ex international ref likes the credit card test. The credit card should brush through a pocket opening. Credit cards are 3 3/8'' long which is mid way between WS and true Star pocket sizes from what we've been told today. It's an easy way to test the tables you play, most folk carry wallets.
              Last edited by barrywhite; 30 December 2015, 07:39 PM.

Comment

Back in the 90s we where instructed by the owner of spot on clubs , to open the pockets at spot on kettering to 4 inch by rasping the slate fall into the table ,
                this makes the fall closer to the ball as it enters the same sized templated rubber but with the fall moved inwards it makes the pocket 4 inch
                I have not been to spot on Kettering since around 14 to 15 years ago , but guessing they'd still have that size unless someone has got a tub of car body filler to put back what we took off
                we took off around 3/4 to 1 inch of slate !
                And Spot on Kettering is the most busy club they have !
                Last edited by Geoff Large; 30 December 2015, 08:03 PM. Reason: mistake
                [/SIGPIC]http://www.gclbilliards.com

Comment

Well there you go Geoff, I think you have answered the original question, looks like it does encourage people to play.

Comment

Originally Posted by Geoff Large View Post
                    Back in the 90s we where instructed by the owner of spot on clubs , to open the pockets at spot on kettering to 4 inch by rasping the slate fall into the table ,
                    this makes the fall closer to the ball as it enters the same sized templated rubber but with the fall moved inwards it makes the pocket 4 inch
                    I have not been to spot on Kettering since around 14 to 15 years ago , but guessing they'd still have that size unless someone has got a tub of car body filler to put back what we took off
                    we took off around 3/4 to 1 inch of slate !
                    And Spot on Kettering is the most busy club they have !
                    Any Kettering TSF members on here? What's your biggest break at 9-ball, I mean snooker?! lol

Comment

Have those of you arguing for big bags seen that shot from barry Hawkins that touched the rail yards out, but dropped anyway? I just don't think it's right. I'm not saying stupidly small bags, I think 3.5" is fine - although of course table conditions are part of the issue. Much more than that and it really stops feeling like proper snooker.

I think the templates that Geoff uses are the ideal balance. He's local to me, so if I'm ever lucky enough to get a table, i know who will be doing it. Try not to retire for a bit Geoff.

Comment

Originally Posted by barrywhite View Post
                        Nah, 3 1/2'' is plenty to construct tons. With 3 3/4'' you can smash em in Trump style and a wee bit more again. It's all relative to the ball, which is 2 1/16''. At 4'' we've almost got enough space to pot two balls at the same time in the same pocket. At 4 1/8'' we can pot two balls at the same time and at 4 1/4'' we can do so comfortably and do so easily at 4 1/2''. My view is that novices should be practising their potting at one end of the table, not going for long pots until they've attained accuracy anyway.
                        Sure it is, but for whom? Beginners will still have trouble constructing a 20 on 3 1/2" for months to come.

Comment

Originally Posted by itsnoteasy View Post
                          Nine ball pockets are straight cut though, not rounded...and most are above 4 inch at the fall.

Comment

Originally Posted by Geoff Large View Post
                            It would be nice to get a snooker coach input on this subject I think most players who take up the sport look towards the high end players and what they are playing on rather than what they may have started to play on , you then reach a level where you want a bit more of a challenge and to leave the still learning player or satisfied with their level or larger pocket player behind

I still think you have to get into the game before you can progress to any top end league level or pro level

here is a post about what one newly qualified coach was told to do with his table , by more professional coaches with more years coaching under their belts , you have got to admit they may have a point .

http://gclbilliards.com/open-up-pock...unger-players/
                            to be honest, is not a matter of my opinion or yours or a coach opinion. It's a matter of science.
                            your brain gonna give your eyes instructions and your eyes follow them and vice versa ( which is scientificly has proven ).
                            at the time of striking, when you think about the size of the pockets or the pockets, your eyes gonna follow your brains. The result, they are derived from OB and don't stay focuses on OB. The result would be: you are missing the pot. (no matter how big the pockets are).
                            Of crs, the biger pockets, the more room for the errors. but, eventually they are your errors. You are the one who's cueing not stright .
                            But ,I do agree with Terry . for those who's coming visit a snooker club for the first time , those big pockets re more interesting .
                            Btw, you said sumthing about a coach's opinion. Well, here is the opinion of the 4 tims world champion .
                            the way i see it, he said : IF you hit the ball well , the pocket will accept it .
                            I do'nt hear anything about , open up those tables .

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=swAeREom0_k

Comment

Originally Posted by throtts View Post
                              Just measured my Star.

Set up by WSS and at the fall mine is 3 1/4". Are you sure TV Stars are 3 1/2"?.

Cheers.

Exactly what they are meant to be and that is bang on 80mm or very close to it.

The table used in the 2013 Goldfields open here in Bendigo was also this width and i have played on it and measured them!!
                              If it is called " Common sense " why is it so rare???

Comment

80 mm is a bit tight, that's under 3.25". My credit card seems to be 86mm and around 3 3/8". I'd be pretty happy with that up to 3.5"

Comment

Working...
                                X