X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• hsn
    replied
    Originally Posted by tedisbill View Post
    Went for coaching today. He told me not to change anything at all. I cue very straight and find the middle of the white well.

He did give me a couple of tips about my bridge hand on run through shots and a couple of other things. But generally don't change anything.
    So you quit trying to hide your shoulder or what ?

Leave a comment:

• JoshDyson147
    replied
    IMG_3461[1].jpg IMG_3466[1].jpg I've read this thread and thought i'd try it out myself, just wondered if these two pictures were showing if i'm doing it correct or not? feedback would be very much appreciated, I understand these things won't make me a 147 maker over night but I've been playing quite poorly whilst adopting this technique, is this just transitional and will it pass, and eventually make me better or shall I revert back to my previous technique, thanks.

Leave a comment:

• tedisbill
    replied
    Originally Posted by j6uk View Post
    you went to the academy so see him then
    Nah. He coaches at my local club in Bilston.

Leave a comment:

• j6uk
    replied
    you went to the academy so see him then

Leave a comment:

• tedisbill
    replied
    Originally Posted by j6uk View Post
    who did you see?
    Andrew Highfield

Leave a comment:

• j6uk
    replied
    who did you see?

Leave a comment:

• tedisbill
    replied
    Went for coaching today. He told me not to change anything at all. I cue very straight and find the middle of the white well.

He did give me a couple of tips about my bridge hand on run through shots and a couple of other things. But generally don't change anything.

Leave a comment:

• hsn
    replied
    Originally Posted by alabadi View Post
    i took some pics yesterday of myself cueing the blue to the middle and i have to say my elbow is not inline with the cue, however when i play the blue i do pot it center pocket each time , even follow through the white follows into the same pocket.

so i am not sure now how significant this is, if i try to straighten it up like Ted would it effect my game although at the moment i'm not in a good vain of form.
    Yes a good alignment of BOTH the shoulder and the elbow with the cue significantly improves cuing accuracy.
    The benefits are visible on long pots and during pressure shots.

The top most benefit is that you don't have to worry too much about cuing straight: your cue has a less chance to go offline with a quality alignment.

Leave a comment:

• alabadi
    replied
    i took some pics yesterday of myself cueing the blue to the middle and i have to say my elbow is not inline with the cue, however when i play the blue i do pot it center pocket each time , even follow through the white follows into the same pocket.

so i am not sure now how significant this is, if i try to straighten it up like Ted would it effect my game although at the moment i'm not in a good vain of form.

Leave a comment:

• hsn
    replied
    Yes mate no problem. Gonna keep working at it and let you know.

Appreciate all the help buddy! Cheers.
    Managed a couple of clip photos for you as well. Will post more when free.

Leave a comment:

• hsn
    replied

I hope you're going good Ted. I've been thinking about your case and viewed some videos of Steve Davis at his prime. I must say that you should take a look at them. You'll definitely find some very helpful ideas regarding your stance and alignment.

Here are the links:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tvGGFMTHgi4

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CgnAIsPY8hA

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p-M6B9OabFI

I've noticed that you place your feet not as far apart as Steve or Trump or even myself. The most important thing to note in Steve's stance is that he stands in such a way that his elbow and shoulder both align automatically without contorting himself too much. Notice the direction of his toes and angle of his shoulders. He plays with his cue wrist slightly turned outside.

There is a lot to learn if you watch closely enough.

Leave a comment:

• thelongbomber
    replied
    I used to have the attitude a couple of years ago where I was scared to change anything. I'd think that because I could make the odd 50, that if I messed about with things, I wouldn't be able to do it anymore.

As time has gone on though, I've changed my stance, changed how slowly I pull the cue back, got a more deliberate pause at the back etc. God knows how long it's actually taken before I felt "comfortable" doing the new things. It certainly doesn't help the first time you try something, and it doesn't help that week, and probably not that month. But in the end, it will help.

I've only been playing 3.5 years properly. If I look at old video, my cue action is so quick. It just looks like I'll miss any second. So are you saying at the time I should have just said "well that's how I bring the cue back, so that's how it's gonna stay"?

At the end of the day, I'm not gonna forget how to pot balls just because I've tweaked something a bit.

There's a reason why all the top players play in a "similar" way. You can always pick somebody that does it slightly differently and gets results, but MOST of the top players have things is common.
    This is a great post

Leave a comment:

• mythman69
    replied
    I was looking at a pic of Walter Lindrum . . .

Walter Lindrum2.jpg

He could play alright

Leave a comment:

• alabadi
    replied
    What about looking good and making 130+ breaks? Is that better than looking bad and making 70?
    That's even better

Leave a comment:

• tedisbill
    replied
    Originally Posted by hsn View Post
    Very well said mate. You're definitely going in the right direction. What remains to do now is just to make some minor adjustments to your new setup which I'm sure you'll be able to manage in matter of days.

Your cue arm is looking tons better than before.

Would you like to share how the new setup plays?

Leave a comment:

Working...
X