The yips are defeated!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally Posted by cyberheater View Post
    Okay. I think I get it. So not really practical because you can't control that. It just happens to you.

I heard Judd Trump say that he was practising next to ROS and in a afternoon. ROS made 7 147's. Just amazing.

he tweeted that he made that many maxis then said now going for a run...insane

Comment

Originally Posted by guernseygooner View Post
      I think the gist of it (just seen vmax's reply) is when you are playing freely, ie buzzing, you have no self doubt/thoughts holding you back and somehow you are then supposed to start thinking about your lack of thinking to replicate the feeling all the time!

I think this is a load of spiel. When you make a break you find you can't remember much about it. You have been in a zone and it is something you cant turn off and on, it just happens. Being fully prepared, practised and relaxed before a match can help you get into that state but it is certainly not something you can consciously decide to do.

Everyone's practice game is better than their matchplay its why I consider ROS to be one of the greatest - he makes it look like he is having a practice knock around even in a final.
      That's the way I've translated Steve T's post, he surely gets your brain fully focused in his choice of wording... I'm wondering if Steve is advocating mindset hypnosis..? I have to say i actually purchased something for little money from amazon (World Class Snooker - Hypnosis. Sports Psychology For Excellence )

Surprisingly it seemed to work i was definitely playing in the zone so to speak during my next match, but i think it might of been a placebo effect, so I'm experimenting with it starting from next week before each league game, not holding my breath it'll work every time though!
      Don't let the fear of losing be greater than the excitement of winning...

Comment

Can't produce flow?
        Watch your favourite music video, looking just at the centre of the screen. Don't be contrary. Cool isn't it?
        Deny your 'executive functioning' (eyes) a little freedom and interesting things happen. Peripherally intoxicating. The antidote to MTV saccadic confusion and being under pressure.

The white ball and it's journey IS the game - Everything else is consequence.
        Different mental machinations for 'here and now' and 'consequences'. Jimmy done himself in too many times getting off, understandably, on the consequences: balls dropping, audiences loving it.
        All fixable when understood. No! All fixable by 'being' understood.
        Couldn't care less who failed before me. People with letters after their name labelled me a prodigy as a 4 year old. What do they know? (That's loaded).

Changing something apart from the correct thing, merely moves focus away for a period, from that which shouldn't be focused on.

Comment

All I'm reading there is "blah".

Comment

Originally Posted by Steve T. View Post
            Can't produce flow?
            Watch your favourite music video, looking just at the centre of the screen. Don't be contrary. Cool isn't it?
            Deny your 'executive functioning' (eyes) a little freedom and interesting things happen. Peripherally intoxicating. The antidote to MTV saccadic confusion and being under pressure.

Different mental machinations for 'here and now' and 'consequences'. Jimmy done himself in too many times getting off, understandably, on the consequences: balls dropping, audiences loving it.
            Couldn't care less who failed before me. People with letters after their name labelled me a prodigy as a 4 year old. What do they know? (That's loaded).

Changing something apart from the correct thing, merely moves focus away for a period, from that which shouldn't be focused on.
            This is brilliant, I can see this working.........not anywhere near a snooker table but next time I get a cold caller I am going to read this to them word for word!
            On Cue Facebook Page
            Stuart Graham Coaching Website - On a break until March 2015
            Ton Praram Cues UK Price List

Comment

something like this mrT?
              Can't produce flow?

Comment

Can't produce flow?

I think I saw Mr T coach golf here he is folks -

Comment

Awesome! Didn't watch 'em, but got the drift!
                  Somebody mentioned the apparent ridiculous notion that you can't 'think' into not thinking. Correct!
                  But you can think yourself into performing a particular action that produces a feeling that mirrors the 'experience' of flow, in the moment. When this action happens naturally, the reason isn't really known to the player, so thinking about how and why can only cause eventual confusion.
                  What is particular about flow is that there is a feeling as if experiencing 'having done' as opposed to 'doing'. Explaining that would involve explaining time's creation. Another time. Although flow normally happens over a time period, the momentary form and feeling, for the right reasons, can be produced, with the understanding of why and how to repeat.
                  Even my 18 year old son now hits the ball great often and hardly plays. It happened in 1 shot. I had to beg him just to try it, but l got what l strangely wanted. Laughing, because he couldn't believe what a difference it made. He's now able to recognise the occurrence and reasoning for the rise and falls of a player. We all change the same fatal thing.

Steve Tomlinson

Comment

Working...
                  X