No announcement yet.

help on concentration anyone?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

do u lose concentration and focus because you have been playing too much until everything seems natural to you and you just get down and play? sometimes you get too comfortable at it because you have been playing too much, and everything starts to go off because you stopped doing some of the preshot routines and just get down and play. also, the body tends to get stiffer when playing, you can almost feel the difference from starting out the first frame to playing the 7th frame, etc. take a short 10-15min break every hour if you must. sometimes, a little break will help you stay focused when you are at table..

Comment

Hi Tom - think its lack of sleep the weather n too much caffeine n a bad diet - junk food - I am cutting out the crap slowly bit by bit and replacing them - I like smoking and stuff that's bad for me though - so I guess maybe I will try having a break when I feel my mind wandering like you advise. Also to force myself on a bit for a challenge I might start to keep a little book with targets in to map an average for a laugh like I used to - see if it helps focus me like it used to.

A bit like that guy did on here with his diary - cept I'm keeping it to myself -

I used to have bits of trick shot comps and other daft stuff with the lads in a club - wee bit of fun broke up the day and made me smile - now everyone's out playing golf - n snooker dips off in the summer so the crack is not the same.

Maybe I should go out for a change of scenery or have a week or two away from a table myself - but when your addicted you need a fix

Comment

dont beat urself silly if you aren't doing well, thats the most important thing. on a bad day, you can have more than 1 grip/stance/delivery. don't force yourself to continue as you will end up feeling like sh*t, mayb worse, and smoke more. take a break, clear your thoughts, go back to the basics and start again. most imptly, have fun!

Comment

This thread is an interesting read. I have somewhat similar lapses in concentration where I feel as if I'm just going through the motions and struggle to lock on to object balls. I first noticed it happening about a year ago.
          Since then I haven't drank anything with caffeine except the occasional hangover coffee, I took up running to a point where I was completing 10 miles three days a week, I tried changing my diet, I also don't smoke but after all this nothing really helped. Yes I felt in better health but on the table no change in concentration levels.
          Now that I have omitted these factors it has to come down to tired eyes, I stare at a computer screen 6-7 days a week which doesn't help. Atm I can't change that. Gl Byrom let us know how you get on

Comment

Originally Posted by RogiBear View Post
            This thread is an interesting read. I have somewhat similar lapses in concentration where I feel as if I'm just going through the motions and struggle to lock on to object balls. I first noticed it happening about a year ago.
            Since then I haven't drank anything with caffeine except the occasional hangover coffee, I took up running to a point where I was completing 10 miles three days a week, I tried changing my diet, I also don't smoke but after all this nothing really helped. Yes I felt in better health but on the table no change in concentration levels.
            Now that I have omitted these factors it has to come down to tired eyes, I stare at a computer screen 6-7 days a week which doesn't help. Atm I can't change that. Gl Byrom let us know how you get on
            Oh how unfortunate you couldn't keep that new health regimen going. You were just getting your body and mind in just the right state to make the next advancement in your game. You didn't talk about breathing exercises, meditation or what specific super foods you tried.
            Mayur Jobanputra, Snooker Coach and Snooker Enthusiast
            My Snooker Blog: www.snookerdelight.com

Comment

Originally Posted by thelongbomber View Post
              Oh how unfortunate you couldn't keep that new health regimen going. You were just getting your body and mind in just the right state to make the next advancement in your game. You didn't talk about breathing exercises, meditation or what specific super foods you tried.
              I'm no phycologist but imo the breathing exercises/meditation don't really change the state of mind unless you are in a bad place initially, ie recovering from something traumatic. I just don't believe in that sort of stuff. "super foods" no! all food is food, just some are better for you than others. The term "super" is a marketing ploy, aimed at the weak minded. In terms of what I changed, I just cut the cr*p out, I moved my evening meal from 11pm-12am to a more sensible time, by working a slightly different pattern. I tried to reduce my artificial sugar intake and replace it with natural sugars and generally a more healthy and balanced food regime. For me none of what I tried worked but its not say it won't work for others.

Comment

get to bed 10pm

Comment

Originally Posted by j6uk View Post
                  get to bed 10pm
                  Well probably should have mentioned this but lack of sleep yeah -never bothered me much when younger -catches up on you later in life - too much working on the computer during the day too. These two things are probably the main causes actually.

Going to bed at 10pm ain't a problem - its the bit about getting to sleep by 2am - 3am and waking up everyday at 7-8 am that don't help - perhaps this is just one of the pains that comes with the joy of having young children/babies bless em - hashtag#mykidsaninsomniacpleasepleasepleasegotosle ep.com or maybe all the coffee red bull chocolate and stuff has helped turn me into an Owl person too.

I probably really need Coffee and stuff keep me going now I think till the end of the week when I recharge - must admit I felt sooo tired and drained this week without it - finding this really hard and cant just quit it completely still yet but at least one good thing is that this thread is making me aware of my bad habits - because after listening to all your bad habits that can cause bad concentration - poor diet too much caffeine, smoking, drink, lack of proper sleep, no breaks, too many hours working on a pc - the thing I now realize that I was not really actually aware of these things as being that bad for me or not being normal but after reading about your bad habits that cause you guys bad concentration what I actually realise now that I do them all
                  Last edited by Byrom; 15 July 2014, 09:49 AM.

Comment

you'd find it easier to concentrate on all the stuff u mentioned than having to play while a hot chick is watching her man at the next table. lol

i think pc is a good point. the only time i get to play often is after work, and that means after 8hrs of staring at the pc. my concentration waivers after the 3rd frame and i start to question myself : why am i not cueing straight? is my thumb doing this? is my arm doing that? is my bridge coming across too much...etc" and then it screws up my game cos i start to tinker around in the next 3 to 4 frames and i just get from bad to worse.

the only time i noticed my act coming together, is when i have table time to myself : training at the club. and i dont even need coffee to get by when training. its really different from having to play your mate. its that added competitiveness n pressure that usually plays with your mind, but its your physical and mental well-being that prevents you from doing your best.

the other thing is that 'getting into the groove' part. i have noticed on occasions the more i play, the more i get down on shots quicker and when you pause a little, you realise all the small little details like body not in line, cueing off line, bridge too far to the left, etc. and you still try to force the shot in. and you start to play like sh*t and you start to tweak your grip, ur stance...all these in the span of 7-9 games. and it really drags your head down. i have moments like that all the time. so your situation might be like that too...

Comment

I think work can really play with your mind when things get stressful. I have spent the last 8 months building a custom home for a couple that have drove me around the bend and back. It just never let up and my mind never stopped. I might get as many as 4 calls on a Saturday morning on the way to a Snooker Match then try and forget it, no way it just did not happen. I finished the home last week and it's like a load has been lifted. Back at my Snooker table enjoying the game and potting much better. Also back enjoying my golf which I think is helping me concentrate better on the table.
                      " Practice to improve not just to waste time "
                      " 43 Match - 52 Practice - 13 Reds in Line Up "
                      http://www.ontariosnooker.club

Comment

get to bed 10pm
                        I wish, I can't get my kids to bed at that time. its my life long dream to go to bed before 12am, I think it's not going to happen until all the kids have flown the nest

Comment

Originally Posted by alabadi View Post
                          I wish, I can't get my kids to bed at that time. its my life long dream to go to bed before 12am, I think it's not going to happen until all the kids have flown the nest
                          i hear you but its not too late to take back control. i found not having a tv helped

Comment

i hear you but its not too late to take back control. i found not having a tv helped
                            I have only got control of the little one who is 6 at the moment, some of the others are bigger than me.

its not TV that keeps em up, its the damn iPhones. I'm the type who can't lay down to rest until I'm certain all the kids are in and in bed themselves, that's my flaw still looking out for them even though they are young adults.

probably that's why my game is suffering at the minute, I'm too tired to focus for anything over an hour or so

Comment

Originally Posted by alabadi View Post
                              I have only got control of the little one who is 6 at the moment, some of the others are bigger than me.

its not TV that keeps em up, its the damn iPhones. I'm the type who can't lay down to rest until I'm certain all the kids are in and in bed themselves, that's my flaw still looking out for them even though they are young adults.

probably that's why my game is suffering at the minute, I'm too tired to focus for anything over an hour or so
                              I hear that - sounds like a lot of us on here need a holiday

http://www.countrycottagesonline.net...oker-table.php

Comment

Originally Posted by Byrom View Post
                                I hear that - sounds like a lot of us on here need a holiday

http://www.countrycottagesonline.net...oker-table.php
                                i'm in! tsf getaway

Comment

Working...
                                X