help on concentration anyone?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• help on concentration anyone?

I noticed that I have been struggling with focus and concentration recently -

I looked for a thread on it but have not been able to find one - does anyone have some tips on improving focus and concentration I feel this would be a great help I think.

I never used to have a problem when I was younger - I could play for hours on my own until my feet dropped off and loved it - but I am finding this focus has dipped rather dramatically recently - maybe its the weather or the lack of sleep or middle age or the fact that perhaps I don't really need to push myself anymore as I am relatively happy with my standard of play which is alright now really - good days and bad like everyone.

I am in awe of players that have this steely will in practice that I used to have - I still enjoy it - practice - find it relaxing actually but maybe an hour or two is all I can manage now without getting lazy with it and distracted.

Any help appreciated please.

I am exactly the same. Start thinking of silly things rather than concentrating on game. Used to play chess a bit, maybe that would help to focus the mind i dont know, or maybe its a age thing.

Comment

I will share some insight in a post later (heading out for a game) but in the meantime, I have written some articles that touch on the subject at my blog. See

http://snookerdelight.com/snooker-ar...g-and-scoring/
      http://snookerdelight.com/snooker-ar...ection-part-1/

There also MUST be some discussions here. I'm sure it's been touched on before. Narrow your search to just "concentration" or "focus"

Few quick things:

State your age, typical diet, time of day you play, how long you play for, who you play. Remarkably, evidence is starting to show in the health movement that your typical middle age man/woman has multiple imbalances (from toxins, meat, etc) and is nutritionally underfed (because store bought produce doesn't have the vitamins/minerals it once did). Juicing didn't exist 100 years ago, but now its all the rage because our food system isn't producing the quality from before (soil overused, high crop yield, etc). At middle age, start investigating and learning from guys like Josh Rubin, David Wolfe, Elliott Hulse, and others. I'm doing veg juicing lately with various superfoods and finding that has greatly helped concentration. Also remove all stimulants like coffees/sugar/soda/candies/drugs/smoking for a few days and see if it has a notable effect. Once all the above is worked through, then we can start talking more seriously about shot selection, game focus, etc. You can't learn tactical if your brain/body can't respond accordingly.
      Mayur Jobanputra, Snooker Coach and Snooker Enthusiast
      My Snooker Blog: www.snookerdelight.com

Comment

Good thread Byrom.

I suffer a lot from this. In practice when it's just me and it's nice and quiet I perform great.
        Get in the club with all the noise of a tv with football on in the side bar, loads of people talking etc... My focus soon goes and my performance drops dramatically.

Comment

Same here. When I play my mate on a Saturday first 2-3 hours are great. Easy missed pots start to creep in, then frustration as everything seems a struggle, whereas I started the afternoon on auto pilot.

Think it is age.

Comment

Originally Posted by cyberheater View Post
            I suffer a lot from this. In practice when it's just me and it's nice and quiet I perform great.
            Get in the club with all the noise of a tv with football on in the side bar, loads of people talking etc... My focus soon goes and my performance drops dramatically.
            I wouldn't call this suffering. Perfectly normal.

One other thing is that work and other obligations get in a way. People tend to forget that. For me personally whenever I scored a big break (say 50 or 60+ for me), it was almost always either during vacation time, or it was saturday, national holiday...etc. It was rarely if ever tuesday or thursday after a whole work day. At least I don't remember any such events.
            Not only do I play much more during vacation or free time period, focus gets better too. Of course the game level gets better too.
            My best period with a cue in hand was when I got laid off from one work place, was told not to appear at work until end of notice, but got severance and already had another job secured... Dream scenario which will never ever repeat...

Comment

Originally Posted by ace man View Post
              I wouldn't call this suffering. Perfectly normal.

One other thing is that work and other obligations get in a way. People tend to forget that. For me personally whenever I scored a big break (say 50 or 60+ for me), it was almost always either during vacation time, or it was saturday, national holiday...etc. It was rarely if ever tuesday or thursday after a whole work day. At least I don't remember any such events.
              Not only do I play much more during vacation or free time period, focus gets better too. Of course the game level gets better too.
              My best period with a cue in hand was when I got laid off from one work place, was told not to appear at work until end of notice, but got severance and already had another job secured... Dream scenario which will never ever repeat...
              Yes. I agree with everything you wrote there ace man. I know I expect too much of myself.
              I am trying to learn to enjoy the game for what it is. Just a friendly knock about with my mate. I still would like to play more focused and consistence when we do play. I guess the beer probably doesn't help.

Comment

I was looking in to this a few weeks ago and i think i have sorted it now, in short make sure hydration is at its peak all the time and keep an eye on your energy levels, i usually play after i have eaten or i can't hold concentration at all, if your playing for longer have a break and a snack as this will pep you up, if you see Robertson he always come's in chewing on something, sometime's a banana

Comment

I haven't read the thread...

I am struggling to keep focussed lately too. But my experience tells me, it's because we're approaching the warmer months... Doesn't matter how fit you are, when it's warmer than normal... you notice it.

Also, quick edit.

You can't relate it to what you see the professionals doing. They play in conditions that are optimum all year around.
                  Last edited by pottr; 1 July 2014, 11:45 AM.

Comment

you need to set your self goals and approach your play accordingly, otherwise just go back to playing social snooker

Comment

Wow some good advice -

Keep up energy levels
                      Hydrate properly
                      Cut out bad things sugar coffee etc work on diet
                      Set some goals

Maybe an age thing when these things start to effect you more - I never really noticed them before to mention them. When you are zoned in or focused properly I never notice any noise or distractions around me I find though when you are not you begin to see and hear everything lol.

Never worked on diet before - going to try cutting out some of the things you mention like coffee/tea/red bull and all the sugary things I love - got a sweet tooth - smoking too - I think that might have a detrimental effect at first though.

Going to set myself goals to try and keep focus more and do some solid practice - I don't know how much more I can improve or want to improve though at my age I am content really and work - life - balance - snooker as a hobby how much do you or can you really achieve part time if you don't devote the serious hours to improving like you used to be able to do when you did have time on your hands.

Also I think summer does have an effect - my level of focus is higher when its cold - maybe I should take summer break off from playing like I used to?

I am not serious with it enough anymore but would like to be able to focus more in the time I do get to practice so I will give some of your advice a go - great suggestions thanks guys much appreciated
                      Last edited by Byrom; 1 July 2014, 01:52 PM.

Comment

Originally Posted by Byrom View Post
                        Wow some good advice -

Keep up energy levels
                        Hydrate properly
                        Cut out bad things sugar coffee etc work on diet
                        Set some goals

Maybe an age thing when these things start to effect you more - I never really noticed them before to mention them. When you are zoned in or focused properly I never notice any noise or distractions around me I find though when you are not you begin to see and hear everything lol.

Never worked on diet before - going to try cutting out some of the things you mention like coffee/tea/red bull and all the sugary things I love - got a sweet tooth - smoking too - I think that might have a detrimental effect at first though.

Going to set myself goals to try and keep focus more and do some solid practice - I don't know how much more I can improve or want to improve though at my age I am content really and work - life - balance - snooker as a hobby how much do you or can you really achieve part time if you don't devote the serious hours to improving like you used to be able to do when you did have time on your hands.

Also I think summer does have an effect - my level of focus is higher when its cold - maybe I should take summer break off from playing like I used to?

I am not serious with it enough anymore but would like to be able to focus more in the time I do get to practice so I will give some of your advice a go - great suggestions thanks guys much appreciated

i went on a diet about 12 weeks ago, not that i was overweight but felt sore in some of my joint's, this means i have cut out all the crap add that to keeping my hydration and energy levels up and there's no wonder my game's gotten better, yes the hotter month's it's hard to fully concentrate but you can go some way to helping live with it.

the only thing i have had to slightly adjust is my stance to go with the weight loss.

Comment

Originally Posted by luke-h View Post
                          i went on a diet about 12 weeks ago, not that i was overweight but felt sore in some of my joint's, this means i have cut out all the crap add that to keeping my hydration and energy levels up and there's no wonder my game's gotten better, yes the hotter month's it's hard to fully concentrate but you can go some way to helping live with it.

the only thing i have had to slightly adjust is my stance to go with the weight loss.
                          Well done on the diet and weight loss. I too am losing weight and all I find all I have to do is to cut out all the rubbish. If I do that the weight just drop off.

Comment

Originally Posted by cyberheater View Post
                            Well done on the diet and weight loss. I too am losing weight and all I find all I have to do is to cut out all the rubbish. If I do that the weight just drop off.

100 percent, I'm the same weight just drops off, 28lb in 10 weeks. i have been walking and cycling quite a bit also. well done also, it's really suprising how much better the body feels with loss of weight and with that come's a healthy mind, can only be good for the game.

Comment

Originally Posted by Byrom View Post
                              There is a very clear link between sugar cravings and smoking. In fact quitting smoking seems to give a lot of people sugar cravings - thus the weight gain. That tells me smoking is affecting the "feel good" centres of the brain. If you have constant sugar cravings, then your body is growing accustomed to being a sugar burner and you will constantly need this sugar kick to get moving. And you will need more and more as the years go on. Your body internals are way out of whack if you need coffee, sugar, and red bull all the time to keep going. You are setting yourself up for major issues later in life so start getting serious about nutrition and body function. Our current modern day sources of fruits and vegetables at the local market aren't always providing the nutrient levels they once did (soil depletion, faster growing produce, farmers trying to scratch a living, etc) and so most people are under-nourished from a vitamin and mineral point of view. The produce you eat is suppose to feed your body, but if the farmers dont feed the soil, then you will never get the vitamins and minerals your body is asking for. Thus part of the reason for hunger pains and cravings. Start looking into superfoods and doing vegetable juicing every so often. Avoid bottled and make it fresh at home or buy it in the market as long as it's made right there in front of you. Avoid fruit juices as the sugar kick from that is also quite high. It's said you should drink your veg, and eat your fruit. More water, exercise, reduce crap in your diet. If you poo well, then you are on the right track

Look up all the online info from guys like David Wolfe, Elliott Hulse, Josh Rubin and more.

Anyways, all of this being done, I found my concentration improved in snooker, and isn't that what life is all about
                              Last edited by thelongbomber; 1 July 2014, 09:56 PM.
                              Mayur Jobanputra, Snooker Coach and Snooker Enthusiast
                              My Snooker Blog: www.snookerdelight.com

Comment

Working...
                              X