Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Why isn't the Trump technique and Set-up now the Textbook Standard?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally Posted by gavpowell View Post
    You sir, are an idiot who does not listen. How many times have you heard Ronnie say he played his best snooker in his teens and early 20s?

Now, go back and punch someone, pee in a pot plant and smoke a joint, and try it again!
    Haha!! Good point mate! ROFL

Comment

• Originally Posted by guernseygooner View Post
      Being left handed myself and with the JT one been done I thought I would give the Robbo one a bash.

No joke, on a shag pile cloth with 20 year old balls I managed 28ft of screw back. This was a straight back screw back with 8ft between the balls to start with. Windows were open and it was a damp overcast day.

Paired with turning vegan, I'm convinced this technique is the only way to go.

Vegan power
      It's hard to pot balls with a Chimpanzee tea party going on in your head

Wibble

Comment

• Originally Posted by guernseygooner View Post
        Being left handed myself and with the JT one been done I thought I would give the Robbo one a bash.

No joke, on a shag pile cloth with 20 year old balls I managed 28ft of screw back. This was a straight back screw back with 8ft between the balls to start with. Windows were open and it was a damp overcast day.

Paired with turning vegan, I'm convinced this technique is the only way to go.
        Was the cue you were using air dried or kiln dried?
        WPBSA Level 2 - 1st4Sport Coach
        Available for personalised one-to-one coaching sessions
        --------------------------------------------------------------------

Comment

• Originally Posted by Byrom View Post
          Changing your technique during play and imitating other players set ups is not new - it has been done before - man you are old school - I worked it out master blaster are you John Virgo in disguise?
          yeah, it's JV here. you got me

sausage and chips please.

Comment

• Originally Posted by Master Blaster View Post
            I used the tramline Judd stance today, right foot in line with the shot, toes slightly pointing out ala Terry Davidson. Left foot was a foot and a couple of inches ahead, slightly pointing out to the left (like the right foot). This brings things nicely into alignment for a right eye dominant right hander.
            No it doesn't because it needs a slight turn of the head to get the cue under the right eye. A right hander who sights with his right eye uses the square stance ala Stephen Hendry.

Originally Posted by Master Blaster View Post
            Having been foot in line, square on to the shot for years (ala Steve Davis)
            Davis actually had a boxer stance in his prime, not as extreme as Trump but boxer all the same as his left foot was slightly forward of his right. If you sight with your right eye and are right handed then the square stance is natural for you, why change it ?

Originally Posted by Master Blaster View Post
            You could be right. Judd plays on the inside of his chin with the cue close to his bridge arm because he is a left anchor, left hander with R eye dominance.
            That's why his stance is naturally boxer, right foot forward to get the body naturally turned to the left to get the cue under his right eye with no turn of the head needed. You don't have to do this if you're right handed and sight with your right eye, square stance is the natural way to go.

Ronnie is a mirror of Trump as he's right handed and sights with his left eye while Robbo is practically the same as Trump.
            You take your stance to favour your natural sighting, it just happens without any forethought at all. You say that Trump addresses right of delivery stroke contact in order to give himself more room under his chest, but how on earth can a ten millimetre offset address give more room under the chest, it's a miniscule amount and it's only done because his delivery stroke has a twist to it from the wrist or fingers that brings the cue onto the correct line.

As a matter of fact the square stance gives you more room under your chest as your chest is actually turned away from the cue instead of toward it as in the boxer stance.

You've got this all arse about face.

Comment

• I disagree with you VMax, the foot in line square stance leads to the cue more to the right of the nipple so it's not as much under the chest but a tad more towards the shoulder. Davis started out boxer but converted to foot in line with his coach. The cue passes closer to the hip and for me, there's less travel, it's a form of shorter cueing in effect. I did not say JT addresses to the R of the delivery stroke. He can hit centre ball as well as anyone, he simply uses his R eye.

If you're R eye dominant, you don't have to use the square stance, you can adjust any stance at all and/or move the head to get the cue sighting under the dominant R eye. Mark Allen adjusts the head a fair bit. But some stances do favour sighting in a particular player more than others, this is true. But they can all be adapted.

Comment

• To avoid confusion in describing things (which seems apparent) I'll say this, look at JT's video, go and play like that with his set-up how you think it should be and see how you get on and tell us about it.

If you ain't left handed with R eye dominance, you'll have to do a conversion. How you do this is up to you but obviously, your second foot should be ahead of your anchor to maintain the type of stance JT has. Stance is important for cueing. Alex Higgins said you dance you way around the table when potting and he was right.

But exactly how you align head, cue, etc, etc is up to you, trying to explain it is very difficult. Simply try the JT method and let us know.
                Last edited by Master Blaster; 20 May 2015, 03:49 PM.

Comment

• Originally Posted by Master Blaster View Post

To avoid confusion in describing things (which seems apparent) I'll say this, look at JT's video, go and play like that with his set-up how you think it should be and see how you get on and tell us about it.

If you ain't left handed with R eye dominance, you'll have to do a conversion. How you do this is up to you but obviously, your second foot should be ahead of your anchor to maintain the type of stance JT has. Stance is important for cueing. Alex Higgins said you dance you way around the table when potting and he was right.

But exactly how you align head, cue, etc, etc is up to you, trying to explain it is very difficult. Simply try the JT method and let us know.
                  the bit in bold means it wont be a trump stance as it will be whats the word...................

DIFFERENT!

Comment

• 8000 views, nearly 200 replies, 19 pages. This thread be rollin'.

For a forum that shows most interest in cues etc and is not massive on technique and coaching, it's good to see there is lots of interest in the JT set-up. If folk can adopt what they see in the video and what has been described by many, then have a go and report back, the feedback might give us some insights. It would be really great if some of the silent members who view topics but don't write much gave this a go and provided some feedback. Go on, don't be shy! Maybe they're a bit scared but I'd personally love to hear from y'all.

Toodlepip!
                    Last edited by Master Blaster; 20 May 2015, 07:39 PM.

Comment

• Byrom - tries changing set up as he plays diary.

Day 1.

I Try Mark Williams set up - Wake up at half past one, forget to shave stick joggers on shortly before wife throws me out house - climb into car goes to snooker club using Judd Trump setup - get out car turn off gangster rap music walks to the club in my dodgy spikes - go to bar with friends using Stephen Hendry set up - avoid buying anyone a round, go to snooker table turn into Neil Robertson pot a long ball walks around table five miles pot another go toilet 5 times - turns into Mark Allen nips to KFC and Mcdonalds on way back to table - use Sean Murphy Set up have a laugh argue with myself walk around the table own it own it strike a pose - miss a few, walk off using the Mathew Selt set up making a few quid I start selling a few dodgy video recorders and fake fags imported from India to the crowd before a quick look at my fake Rolex starts me contemplating getting my golf clubs out - but then I turn using the Marco Fu setup and now I don't give out a single sign of weakness or emotion as I sit down and wait for my next turn - occasionally doing a Michael Holt I jump up thump someone pot a few better than anyone on the planet before my head totally goes 30 seconds later but realise the other guy is still at the table so turn into Peter Ebdon and patiently sit down and meditate waiting for your shot influencing and healing everyone around me whilst researching acupuncture, Ti chi, levitation and drinking my own pee to help my game improve at the age of 80 - suddenly the other guy misses and leaves me in the balls but I am to weak with a lack of meat to get up and play so I just switch set up and turn into Ronnie I jump up and start clearing up but its not clicked, something not right its not going well something's wrong so I find random excuses whilst bumping into the ref moaning about my shoes the camera man the guy in the third row back from the left in a yellow shirt. I need to slow my game up play safe so turn to using Rod Lawlor set up -

Let you know how game finishes up in another week or so.

Comment

• Originally Posted by Byrom View Post
                        Byrom - tries changing set up as he plays diary.

Day 1.

I Try Mark Williams set up - Wake up at half past one, forget to shave stick joggers on shortly before wife throws me out house - climb into car goes to snooker club using Judd Trump setup - get out car turn off gangster rap music walks to the club in my dodgy spikes - go to bar with friends using Stephen Hendry set up - avoid buying anyone a round, go to snooker table turn into Neil Robertson pot a long ball walks around table five miles pot another go toilet 5 times - turns into Mark Allen nips to KFC and Mcdonalds on way back to table - use Sean Murphy Set up have a laugh argue with myself walk around the table own it own it strike a pose - miss a few, walk off using the Mathew Selt set up making a few quid I start selling a few dodgy video recorders and fake fags imported from India to the crowd before a quick look at my fake Rolex starts me contemplating getting my golf clubs out - but then I turn using the Marco Fu setup and now I don't give out a single sign of weakness or emotion as I sit down and wait for my next turn - occasionally doing a Michael Holt I jump up thump someone pot a few better than anyone on the planet before my head totally goes 30 seconds later but realise the other guy is still at the table so turn into Peter Ebdon and patiently sit down and meditate waiting for your shot influencing and healing everyone around me whilst researching acupuncture, Ti chi, levitation and drinking my own pee to help my game improve at the age of 80 - suddenly the other guy misses and leaves me in the balls but I am to weak with a lack of meat to get up and play so I just switch set up and turn into Ronnie I jump up and start clearing up but its not clicked, something not right its not going well something's wrong so I find random excuses whilst bumping into the ref moaning about my shoes the camera man the guy in the third row back from the left in a yellow shirt. I need to slow my game up play safe so turn to using Rod Lawlor set up -

i tried the cliff thorburn method last week, still not taken my shot.

Comment

• Mate that was by far the funniest post I read on here xD
                          Nearly spit my morning milk through ny nose ^^

Cheers
                          Mat

Originally Posted by Byrom View Post
                          Byrom - tries changing set up as he plays diary.

Day 1.

There is always a chance to win. You just have to
                          never give up!

Comment

• To avoid confusion in describing things (which seems apparent) I'll say this, look at JT's video, go and play like that with his set-up how you think it should be and see how you get on and tell us about it.

If you ain't left handed with R eye dominance, you'll have to do a sighting adjustment. How you do this is up to you but obviously, your second foot should be ahead of your anchor to maintain the type of stance JT has. Stance is important for cueing. Alex Higgins said you dance you way around the table when potting and he was right.

Let us know how you all get on!
                            Last edited by Master Blaster; 21 May 2015, 10:40 AM.

Comment

• Maybe some technical wizz could mirror flip the video clip for any right handed / left eye dominant players ?

Comment

• Why isn't the Trump technique and Set-up now the Textbook Standard?

or watch it in a mirror

Comment

Working...
                                X