Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Why isn't the Trump technique and Set-up now the Textbook Standard?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally Posted by ace man View Post
    If a player cues under one eye, it usually is his dominant eye, but in some cases it may not necessarily be that way.
    For example, Selby cues under his left eye mostly. However, when he looks to see if there is a passage for a ball etc., he appears to close his left eye and look with his right only?
    Whenever I need to check for such things, I will always use my right eye. But I play centre chin, always have. Tests reveal however that my right eye is very dominant.
    To play truly under my right eye, putting the cue to the right side of chin would not be enough, I would need to cue under my cheek bone!!!
    In which direction is your head facing in regards to your stance though ace man, as it's quite often this that puts the cue near to or under one eye.

Comment

• Originally Posted by vmax4steve View Post
      In which direction is your head facing in regards to your stance though ace man, as it's quite often this that puts the cue near to or under one eye.
      Righthander, square stance, head facing slightly to the right I think. Sometimes after a longer session I could see chalk marks on my chin.

Comment

• I want to see this video too of a 24 foot screw back

Comment

• Originally Posted by alabadi View Post
          i've been in this situation since i made the change about 4 months ago, my game suffered terribly at one stage i couldn't pot a ball more than a foot from the pocket.

i questioned myself why bother if its going to make me play worse, however after thinking about it i stuck at it to see if i could get it to work and now i'm seeing shoots of promise. i'm playing better, seeing angles better and my short game has improved quite significantly.

slowly but surely its progressing, so i'm sticking a it until it becomes permanent.
          Good stuff!

Comment

• Can someone explain the trump technique to me, how do you do it and what is it? Cheers

Comment

• Quick question re the dominant eye thing.
              I wear contact lenses so my eyesight is corrected when I wear them... so in essence would this dominant eye not be relevant to me ?

Just curious really as I suffer at times from "not seeing the shot /angle"

Comment

• Originally Posted by mikeyd100 View Post
                Quick question re the dominant eye thing.
                I wear contact lenses so my eyesight is corrected when I wear them... so in essence would this dominant eye not be relevant to me ?

Just curious really as I suffer at times from "not seeing the shot /angle"
                Well, each player his own way , But i do'nt think dominant eye has anything to do with seen the shot/angel !!
                You have to be able to see the shot/angel just before u gonna setup ( take the shot ) !!!
                After that , dominant eye is gonna help you to cueing in the right direction !!
                usually you choose the angel before you go down to take the shot, and u do that with your both eyes !!

Comment

• Its a tricky thing I guess, then again when I'm playing well I just do what comes natural and it clicks.
                  Who knows, maybe its all in the mind hahaa

Comment

• Originally Posted by mikeyd100 View Post
                    Its a tricky thing I guess, then again when I'm playing well I just do what comes natural and it clicks.
                    Who knows, maybe its all in the mind hahaa
                    Sometimes not seeing the angle can be down to poor hydration and concentration issues.....as has been said as you stand behind the shot thats when you pick the point of the object ball you want to hit.

Comment

• Concentration for sure, taking each shot as seriously too.

Comment

• Originally Posted by Ramon View Post
                        Well, each player his own way , But i do'nt think dominant eye has anything to do with seen the shot/angel !!
                        You have to be able to see the shot/angel just before u gonna setup ( take the shot ) !!!
                        usually you choose the angel before you go down to take the shot, and u do that with your both eyes !!
                        I will say what Terry D advises which is to bend over slightly holding the cue and looking down the cue towards the cue ball. You will do this with your dominant eye naturally. Then as you get down quickly but not in a hurry, your anchor foot lands and the other leg plants forward in time with the bridge hand. Your anchor foot should be foot in line with shot and the other foot, about a foot ahead of the anchor foot. Which eye you choose to sight the shot with is up to you then. Personally, I started with my natural R eye but after a couple of weeks I'm not getting used to taking the shot with my L eye. This is quite unusual; my coach says he's only ever seen it once over a couple of decades. But it means for me that the cue is closer to the hip (I'm right handed using my L eye) and bridge shoulder, so I'm using my 'inside' eye like Ronnieo, Juddo and Robbo. This leads IME to straighter cueing with more acceleration and power. Which makes sense because those pros are the kings of cueing, potting and power.

So once again, I'm using opposite eye to cue hand for the shot, L and R. I'm even doing this with the rest as well, to cement it as much as possible so it's more natural for my brain to understand.

Luke and Mikey!

Yes, concentrating on easy shots in a break is crucial, it's losing position on simple pots that can be most costly.

Comment

• Originally Posted by Ramon View Post
                          I will say what Terry D advises which is to bend over slightly holding the cue and looking down the cue towards the cue ball. You will do this with your dominant eye naturally. Then as you get down quickly but not in a hurry, your anchor foot lands and the other leg plants forward in time with the bridge hand. Your anchor foot should be foot in line with shot and the other foot, about a foot ahead of the anchor foot. Which eye you choose to sight the shot with is up to you then. Personally, I started with my natural R eye but after a couple of weeks I'm not getting used to taking the shot with my L eye. This is quite unusual; my coach says he's only ever seen it once over a couple of decades. But it means for me that the cue is closer to the hip (I'm right handed using my L eye) and bridge shoulder, so I'm using my 'inside' eye like Ronnieo, Juddo and Robbo. This leads IME to straighter cueing with more acceleration and power. Which makes sense because those pros are the kings of cueing, potting and power.

So once again, I'm using opposite eye to cue hand for the shot, L and R. I'm even doing this with the rest as well, to cement it as much as possible so it's more natural for my brain to understand.

Luke and Mikey!

Yes, concentrating on easy shots in a break is crucial, it's losing position on simple pots that can be most costly.

Comment

• I'll need to take that analyse that post further and try some things later... Thanks.

In your opinion MB would you say that because I wear contact lenses that the dominant eye theory wont make any difference to me ? .... Premise behind that is that my eyes have been corrected to somewhat normal type visison.

Comment

• 'Dominant eye' is not a question of how good the eyesight is in the eye, it's about how you focus on an object. Look at a distant object, and frame it with your hands in front of you. Close one eye, and the object will no longer be framed by your hands, close the other and it will remain within the frame. When the object remains within the frame, with one eye is open, that's your dominant eye. You want that one looking down the cue, because that is the one that determines your aim!

It's possible to not do this, and still hit balls and pot them okay...but it requires a subconscious correction.

This is something that improved my game 100%. I previously sighted with eyes equal over the cue, but when I correctly determined that my dominant eye was my right eye, and I moved that to directly over the cue, it improved my accuracy. As an aside, the vision in my right eye is worse than kmy left, and I am left handed....so the adjustment was not insubstantial....but it worked!

Comment

• This getting a joke now..

Comment

Working...
                                X