getting through the ball

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally Posted by Philthepockets View Post
    Unfortunate maybe but we are trying to interact with the physical world and for all intents and purposes it appears to have laws and trying understand them is all we can do.
    If you want the most reaction with the least effort, strike the CB where you intend to and the way to do that is by having sound fundamental technique. One of the key elements is reducing muscle tension, particularly in the wrist and grip but also reducing tension in the arm, this allows for more cue speed if needed.
    Practice some shots looking at the CB and you will be surprised at the effortless reaction you get when you make contact in the intended place, most of the issues arise from not contacting where you intended and this can be brought about by muscle tension in particular.
    timing? intended place at the right time, or is that over rated?

Comment

• Originally Posted by j6uk View Post
      timing? intended place at the right time, or is that over rated?
      I think it massively important.
      I define it as the point along the stroke where contact is made and the shifting of the eyes to the object ball.
      One other factor to consider is this, not every player addresses the CB the same distance away so follow through of the arm and follow through from the point of contact differ hugely from player to player, this alone should be enough to debunk the follow through myth.
      Last edited by Philthepockets; 27 January 2016, 12:17 AM.

Comment

I think it massively important.
        I define it as the point along the stroke where contact is made and the shifting of the eyes to the object ball.
        One other factor to consider is this, not every player addresses the CB the same distance away so follow through of the arm and follow through from the point of contact differ hugely from player to player, this alone should be enough to debunk the follow through myth.
        What advice would you give the poster of this thread to help with the problem he's having? He wants to get through the ball like most coaches tell you to.

Comment

Ramon, I have seen this one before but as I said before this is not scientific and using humans and different cues has too many variables.
          Most people that try to defy the laws of physics end up in pain, gravity is one I can think of.
          lol , that's my point .
          what Newton said was scientific and NOT humans.
          we ( as humans ) are able to change that . make it worse , OR make it better with sum better result.
          that's whay one player is a better player comperd to other one .
          His timeing is better . So, he gets more results.

Comment

• Originally Posted by markz View Post
            What advice would you give the poster of this thread to help with the problem he's having? He wants to get through the ball like most coaches tell you to.
            My advice would be to follow through to the point you are comfortable with, so long as you are accelerating and keeping the tension out of the arm that's all you need, you don't need a Rex Williams elbow drop to get action on the ball. If you want that grab a 19oz cue take some more bridge and a long back swing and have at er.
            Keep the grip loose enough to keep the cue level and work on your eye timing to ensure where you are striking the CB.
            Where did the OP go anyway? lol

Comment

My advice would be to follow through to the point you are comfortable with, so long as you are accelerating and keeping the tension out of the arm that's all you need, you don't need a Rex Williams elbow drop to get action on the ball. If you want that grab a 19oz cue take some more bridge and a long back swing and have at er.
              Keep the grip loose enough to keep the cue level and work on your eye timing to ensure where you are striking the CB.
              Cheers Phil, some advice at last for the OP lol. I had to go back to first page to see what it was about. Showing your age bringing up Rex Williams, I only just about remember him myself. We are a good bunch on here, honest. Hope you contribute some more to the forum, your only averaging 0.02 posts a day, I needed a calculator for that lol

Comment

• Originally Posted by markz View Post
                Cheers Phil, some advice at last for the OP lol. I had to go back to first page to see what it was about. Showing your age bringing up Rex Williams, I only just about remember him myself. We are a good bunch on here, honest. Hope you contribute some more to the forum, your only averaging 0.02 posts a day, I needed a calculator for that lol
                Thanks Markz I will try to be a useful idiot and post more :P

And now for the challenge and for your entertainment we have video of Kurmit the pool playing Canuck trying to screw a snooker ball.

This is in a club, sorry the best I could muster without heated Star table and No10
                https://youtu.be/OHJZ1N8Np5Q

This is at home, my son made the video for me as a bit of fun
                https://youtu.be/z93bts6jt2I

Comment

for screw shot and sound track you get a 10 from me

Comment

• Ate a full bag of popcorn reading this thread

Epic screw back by the way !!!

Comment

Could'nt agree more with this post .
                      Btw, I saw ur video . Very Nice shot , my compliment.
                      Very Nice table too .
                      Terry, Les , . Lol, it Looks like everyone in Canada has his own table at hom .

Comment

• Originally Posted by itsnoteasy View Post
                        He says timing rather than weight, but what is timing and what affects it?
                        Sorry for slow replay . I did'nt saw ur post .

Timing is , Intended place at the right time ( as J6 already mentioned it ) . Striking the CB at the right time ( as far as I know ). that's sumthing in ur mind. For example, if you are not focused, it can effect ur timing.
                        the weight of the cue HAS nothing to do with your timing. You can time the shot well , No matter with what kind of cue u play , 20 OZ , 18 OZ Or 15 OZ .
                        Of crs, the cue's spcs has to suits ur game ( But that's not the point here ).

Comment

• At last some guidance - thanks!

On the other rather scientific stuff, I am inclined to go with the view which has evidence - I read those links which were very interesting.

We got as far as newtons laws. I am more interested now in the quantum state of snooker balls.

Take for example schroedlingers cat. Does this mean the ball can be both rattled and pocketed at the same time?! Does observing the pot interfere with the pot? How does the weak force interact with the table quantum gravity?!

I'm pretty much convinced now that the concepts of getting through, acceleration and grip are just mental ways the mind tries to interpret the real thing - right spot right power.

FYI I couldn't screw for years (snooker screw lol!) but I was feathering low and hitting high. Actual screw shot felt like I was going to hit baise.

Comment

Thanks Markz I will try to be a useful idiot and post more :P

And now for the challenge and for your entertainment we have video of Kurmit the pool playing Canuck trying to screw a snooker ball.

This is in a club, sorry the best I could muster without heated Star table and No10
                            https://youtu.be/OHJZ1N8Np5Q

Potting balls over holes! Nice screw but hardly the Trump shot you promised, so that's a fail. The Trump shot: the red is about 6 inches down from the middle bag and a few inches off the cushion, then you screw the white ball back into baulk and out again. Video that!

And............you followed through on the shot over the hole, because you needed to!

So all in all, you've failed to deliver what you promised.
                            Last edited by barrywhite; 27 January 2016, 08:22 AM.

Comment

• Originally Posted by Snookclops View Post
                              At last some guidance - thanks!

On the other rather scientific stuff, I am inclined to go with the view which has evidence - I read those links which were very interesting.

We got as far as newtons laws. I am more interested now in the quantum state of snooker balls.

Take for example schroedlingers cat. Does this mean the ball can be both rattled and pocketed at the same time?! Does observing the pot interfere with the pot? How does the weak force interact with the table quantum gravity?!

I'm pretty much convinced now that the concepts of getting through, acceleration and grip are just mental ways the mind tries to interpret the real thing - right spot right power.

FYI I couldn't screw for years (snooker screw lol!) but I was feathering low and hitting high. Actual screw shot felt like I was going to hit baise.
                              That's probably because your cue isn't going through parallel i.e. your tip is coming up in the air for one reason or another?
                              Did you put my "1" up ?

Comment

• Originally Posted by j6uk View Post
                                for screw shot and sound track you get a 10 from me
                                Me too, on both.

Comment

Working...
                                X