No announcement yet.

Chappell’s tribute to 85-year-old guru

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I think I'll spend that tenner on beer then, thanks Terry.

Comment

Originally Posted by Leo View Post
      Secrets to snooker oh Christ heard it all now. How about practice and dedication
      and air dried ash....
      #jeSuisMasterBlasterBarryWhite2v1977Luclex(andHisF ictiousTwin)BigSplash!

Comment

Originally Posted by bolton-cueman View Post
        and air dried ash....
        Yes mate keep it between just us though

Comment

I watched some videos on youtube.....

if the secret is keep the cue as flat as possible - tell that to Del Hil, Selby and O'Sullivan...

the videos were a total load of b... I can't say as I'm on a potty mouth warning from Ferret

I'd too rather spend the £10 on 3 pints o Guinness
          #jeSuisMasterBlasterBarryWhite2v1977Luclex(andHisF ictiousTwin)BigSplash!

Comment

Originally Posted by Terry Davidson View Post
            I have read the book and watched the video and all I can say is if there are players out there who believe in using side on EVERY shot (helping side) and also shifting the upper body when in the address position then this is definitely the book for you. If you check my posts on here you will see I advocate the least use of side and only when a cushion is involved, however there are those that swear by it. I also advocate staying still when in the address position.
            Who knows ,, perhaps this book can turn you to believe in useing helping side, Terry !!

Comment

Originally Posted by jonny66 View Post
              I think I'll spend that tenner on beer then, thanks Terry.
              A much better use of your money.

Incidentally, they sent me the link for 'How To Cue Like a Pro' and it costs another 10quid. I told the guy I wasn't interested in spending more money on his methods and the first 10quid was quite enough
              Terry Davidson
              IBSF Master Coach & Examiner

Comment

i liked what he had to say in these short clips on youtube, im sure theres plenty there to learn if youve never been exposed to it before. he reminds me of the elder cueist that use to bash me up regular with simple heavy scoring. little flicks of side here an there, droping balls in for fun and shuffling aorund, 40 60 80, handshake, bar

Comment

Originally Posted by Ramon View Post
                  Who knows ,, perhaps this book can turn you to believe in useing helping side, Terry !!
                  It gets worse. He also advocates aiming the cue to the left of the cueball (right-handed player) and then once down into the address position swing the hips/pelvis onto the line of aim (in other words you have to re-acquire the correct line of aim while down on the shot). I have never heard of another coach who advocates that and in fact every one advocates staying still when in the address position.

Then he advocates using side for every shot and a shot which goes from left to right (from behind cueball) should use left-hand side or in other words use helping side on every shot 'which will vastly improve positional play'. He also advocates shooting with low power all the time but I wonder what he does when he has to break the pack off the blue or black.
                  Terry Davidson
                  IBSF Master Coach & Examiner

Comment

not sure about the side an hips thing i missed that
                    interesting to see the 2point comtact. we can see hes a cueist
                    Last edited by j6uk; 17 August 2015, 11:24 PM.

Comment

Originally Posted by Terry Davidson View Post
                      It gets worse. He also advocates aiming the cue to the left of the cueball (right-handed player) and then once down into the address position swing the hips/pelvis onto the line of aim (in other words you have to re-acquire the correct line of aim while down on the shot). I have never heard of another coach who advocates that and in fact every one advocates staying still when in the address position.

Then he advocates using side for every shot and a shot which goes from left to right (from behind cueball) should use left-hand side or in other words use helping side on every shot 'which will vastly improve positional play'. He also advocates shooting with low power all the time but I wonder what he does when he has to break the pack off the blue or black.
                      To be honest , j6 read my mind !!
                      I think he advocts the two point contact technique !!!

Comment

As for useing helping side ,, what he says is about the same as what Ray reardon said ( many yrs ago ) !!

Comment

Has anybody got a YouTube link i can look at?
                          It's hard to pot balls with a Chimpanzee tea party going on in your head

Wibble

Comment

Originally Posted by GeordieDS View Post
                            Has anybody got a YouTube link i can look at?
                            Google / snooker secrets Roy Chisholm / .

You get a few vid of him on utube !!

Comment

Originally Posted by j6uk View Post
                              i liked what he had to say in these short clips on youtube, im sure theres plenty there to learn if youve never been exposed to it before. he reminds me of the elder cueist that use to bash me up regular with simple heavy scoring. little flicks of side here an there, droping balls in for fun and shuffling aorund, 40 60 80, handshake, bar
                              Exactly j6, I learned a fair bit from such a man, old school billiard technique from one who grew up on the old cloths and heavy balls where power stun run thru into a tight side pocket meant you went walking to your chair.
                              Not sure if this method translates to modern pro conditions where you can bludgeon your way around the table, but in your local working mens club or british legion on old style tables it's the way it used to be and still is, keeping the pace of the shot down to a minimum.

Comment

Originally Posted by vmax4steve View Post
                                Exactly j6, I learned a fair bit from such a man, old school billiard technique from one who grew up on the old cloths and heavy balls where power stun run thru into a tight side pocket meant you went walking to your chair.
                                Not sure if this method translates to modern pro conditions where you can bludgeon your way around the table, but in your local working mens club or british legion on old style tables it's the way it used to be and still is, keeping the pace of the shot down to a minimum.
                                +1

I learned to play in those conditions and half the players played that way, many of them with respectable results. Even today, it's possible to simply roll balls in and get a relatively easy 20 or 30 points until you are left with too challenging a pot. The trouble is, you will never get any better doing it that way. But for players of advanced age, it's probably the best approach. It's also easier to do virtually standing up, which is how a lot of players have to play when the body no longer does what they want it to do.

Comment

Working...
                                X