Chappell’s tribute to 85-year-old guru

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally Posted by Ramon View Post
    Google / snooker secrets Roy Chisholm / .

You get a few vid of him on utube !!
    Cheers Ramon
    It's hard to pot balls with a Chimpanzee tea party going on in your head

Wibble

Comment

What exactly is the 2 point contact technique?

Comment

Originally Posted by jonny66 View Post
        What exactly is the 2 point contact technique?
        No contact with chest or chin, just grip and bridge for contact point. Commonly used for pool and sometimes called 'stand up shooter'. This fellow can do that as he recommends shooting at low power all the time. In his demo video he pots all dead easy blues to the middle and even then he hits the inside of the jaw instead of centre-pocket. He uses helping side on all pots with any angle at all.
        Terry Davidson
        IBSF Master Coach & Examiner

Comment

Originally Posted by Terry Davidson View Post
          No contact with chest or chin, just grip and bridge for contact point. Commonly used for pool and sometimes called 'stand up shooter'. This fellow can do that as he recommends shooting at low power all the time. In his demo video he pots all dead easy blues to the middle and even then he hits the inside of the jaw instead of centre-pocket. He uses helping side on all pots with any angle at all.
          a heavey critic tel, i think your missing something.. i didnt hear him recomending low power all the time, no doubt when your timing the ball nice its all about less is more, so if he did says low power then i agree, minimum effot for maximum reaction. an we can see this in the demo were hes pushing through the ball at differing lengths to get aquired position, positively pushing through the ball.
          dont think he recomended using helping side eather all the time, an hitting the jaws of the middle or using the center pocket is irrelevant to what hes showing.
          hope you dont miss out on this good info tel from a cueist whos served his time..
          have you got an watched all of his dvd that you purchased already?
          Last edited by j6uk; 18 August 2015, 10:13 PM.

Comment

Originally Posted by j6uk View Post
            a heavey critic tel, i think your missing something.. i didnt hear him recomending low power all the time, no doubt when your timing the ball nice its all about less is more, so if he did says low power then i agree, minimum effot for maximum reaction. an we can see this in the demo were hes pushing through the ball at differing lengths to get aquired position, positively pushing through the ball.
            dont think he recomended using helping side eather all the time, an hitting the jaws of the middle or using the center pocket is irrelevant to what hes showing.
            hope you dont miss out on this good info tel from a cueist whos served his time..
            have you got an watched all of his dvd that you purchased already?
            I was talking primarily about the book and what it says. I paid 10quid for the book and I don't believe it was money well spent. The book is copyrighted so I can't copy/paste but if you get a chance take a look and see what you think. They also wanted another 10quid for the second book, 'How to Cue Like a Pro' but I decided not to buy that one based on what I read.

It is my opinion only that it's not good technique as described in the book and I'm definitely not alone in that opinion as I checked with another coach who the author said he had talked to. This other coach didn't understand the logic behind the described technique either.
            Last edited by Terry Davidson; 19 August 2015, 02:21 AM.
            Terry Davidson

Comment

I guess there's no snooker coaches code where you don't diss each other like in other jobs
              It's hard to pot balls with a Chimpanzee tea party going on in your head

Wibble

Comment

Originally Posted by GeordieDS View Post
                I guess there's no snooker coaches code where you don't diss each other like in other jobs
                No code that I'm aware of anyway but in the interest of fair play I edited my comments and will let others decide for themselves (but of course they would have to spend that 10quid to buy the book).
                Terry Davidson

Comment

Terry , are you sure about this ?? ( no criticism to ur post ) ,,
                  But I realy think you can use 2 point contact tqk, and still have a contact with chast while avoiding contact with chin DURING THE DELIVERY !!!

Comment

I was talking primarily about the book and what it says. I paid 10quid for the book and I don't believe it was money well spent. The book is copyrighted so I can't copy/paste but if you get a chance take a look and see what you think. They also wanted another 10quid for the second book, 'How to Cue Like a Pro' but I decided not to buy that one based on what I read.
                    i saw not much wrong with what i saw on youtube, but your above post was very critical of him in the videos, so the low power an helping side thigs were in the book right? does the book talk about much else, how many pages is it?
                    btw i could see the other cueing book being more helpful for you

It is my opinion only that it's not good technique as described in the book and I'm definitely not alone in that opinion as I checked with another coach who the author said he had talked to. This other coach didn't understand the logic behind the described technique either.
                    what technique dont you agree with? whos the other coach you felt you needed to check with?

Comment

Originally Posted by Ramon View Post
                      Terry , are you sure about this ?? ( no criticism to ur post ) ,,
                      But I realy think you can use 2 point contact tqk, and still have a contact with chast while avoiding contact with chin DURING THE DELIVERY !!!
                      If you have contact with the chest then that's 3-point contact isn't it? Grip, bridge and chest and then chin for 4-point contact. Of course you could play one handed and go for 1-point contact.
                      Terry Davidson

Comment

The best technique you can have is the one you feel most comfortable with and adjust accordingly. I use the 1 point contact which is get down and just hit the damn ball and enjoy the game. Ignore all the text book tripe what works for one may not suit another. Over and out starsky

Comment

Originally Posted by j6uk View Post
                          what technique dont you agree with? whos the other coach you felt you needed to check with?
                          I was told in an email by the author that he had worked with this other coach (who wishes to remain nameless). Turns out it was 20 years ago and this coach didn't understand how this technique would ever work as it flies in the face of everything every other coach in the world (that we've heard of anyway) says.

I don't agree with first of all moving onto the line of aim when you are down in the address position when you shift the pelvis/hips to the left (for right-handers), I don't agree there are only 5 aiming points and for anything between those 5 aiming points is adjusted using varying amounts of side and I for certain disagree with having the cue to the right of the cueball when you first get into the address position.

See if you can get a copy of the book. I did a review and sent it to the author (Dave) who asked me to do a review. I'm afraid it wasn't too complimentary. You can check for yourself once you read the book, which is an easy read at 54 pages.

What galled me is the title 'The UNKNOWN Secrets of Snooker'. There is nothing UNKNOWN in the book (the caps are in the title itself). He has been coaching for 71 years so if his system is so magical how come no one else has heard of him or used his techniques. This would have been before Joe Davis wrote his first book. He also uses Cliff Thorburn as a reference (in the 1980's) so I will be asking Cliff what he thought as he says on the website he coached world champion.
                          Terry Davidson

Comment

I had another check of the videos and discovered he doesn't follow what he describes in the book. He doesn't discuss using side to adjust the aiming point nor shifting the hips when he is down on the shot to bring the cue onto the line of aim. He also doesn't discuss using a point on the near cushion as a 'vision point' or where you should be looking when in the address position.

In the videos he looks like any normal player and he doesn't drop down with the cue pointing to the left of the cueball and then move the cue onto the line of aim. All of those are described in the book.
                            Terry Davidson

Comment

Hi Tel - take it you not on this guys Christmas card list then
                              Last edited by Byrom; 19 August 2015, 03:33 PM.

Comment

I was told in an email by the author that he had worked with this other coach (who wishes to remain nameless). Turns out it was 20 years ago and this coach didn't understand how this technique would ever work as it flies in the face of everything every other coach in the world (that we've heard of anyway) says.
                                please say, what technique you on about?
                                I don't agree with first of all moving onto the line of aim when you are down in the address position when you shift the pelvis/hips to the left (for right-handers), I don't agree there are only 5 aiming points and for anything between those 5 aiming points is adjusted using varying amounts of side and I for certain disagree with having the cue to the right of the cueball when you first get into the address position.
                                okay now is this in the book cus im not with you, aiming points?
                                See if you can get a copy of the book. I did a review and sent it to the author (Dave) who asked me to do a review. I'm afraid it wasn't too complimentary. You can check for yourself once you read the book, which is an easy read at 54 pages.
                                54, so its indepth then,
                                when it comes up i will ceck it out for sure

What galled me is the title 'The UNKNOWN Secrets of Snooker'. There is nothing UNKNOWN in the book (the caps are in the title itself). He has been coaching for 71 years so if his system is so magical how come no one else has heard of him or used his techniques. This would have been before Joe Davis wrote his first book. He also uses Cliff Thorburn as a reference (in the 1980's) so I will be asking Cliff what he thought as he says on the website he coached world champion.
                                you mean he coached a wc right? i woul too like to know if what you say is true.
                                i believe this guy, i see it. 71 years healping fellas out all around an down the local, fare enough. now hes built up a little confidence or think its time before he pops his clogs to spread the/his news, cool. whos got a problem? not me, i get it
                                Last edited by j6uk; 19 August 2015, 03:26 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X