No announcement yet.

Chappell’s tribute to 85-year-old guru

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

in these two clips we can see how our lads pushing through the cue ball relates to say someone like ron
    in the first three shots you can see hes using the same pace but with differing lengths of follow through. for everyone whos not got it, take a clip of what you see ronnie doing an mix it with what you hear for the lad in question, then take it to the table. it works, on power. let the cue do it
    <iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/-H_-MeBamVg" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
    <iframe width="420" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/7P_gLvHZsoY" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Comment

Another great thread for people trying to improve. Haha
      WPBSA Level 2 - 1st4Sport Coach
      Available for personalised one-to-one coaching sessions
      --------------------------------------------------------------------

Comment

I too hate to be critical but after sating "you should always leave angles on balls so its easier to manipulate the white ball" he then proceeds to pot every red leaving but himself dead straight on the colour with no angle making it look like he's one of the typical "one / two shot ahead" club players

Comment

he was off straight on the red an pink and 1/2-3/4ball on the black, not that its important to the demo

Comment

Originally Posted by Terry Davidson View Post
            If you have contact with the chest then that's 3-point contact isn't it? Grip, bridge and chest and then chin for 4-point contact. Of course you could play one handed and go for 1-point contact.
            Terry , 2 point contact tqk is also about the way u accelerate the CB during delivery !! Imo !! ( where u aim and where u gonna start with acceleration ) .
            Jimmy White was a player who did use this tqk and had the chest contact !!
            Anyway ,, is just my opinion and it Looks like I'm wrong !! So many thanks for the info !!
            Last edited by Ramon; 20 August 2015, 03:43 AM.

Comment

Originally Posted by tedisbill View Post
              I know ted I feel sorry for anyone looking for advice on here on best way to do this or best way to that, to many people trying to bounce off each other of what they think is right or wrong.

Comment

Originally Posted by Leo View Post
                I know ted I feel sorry for anyone looking for advice on here on best way to do this or best way to that, to many people trying to bounce off each other of what they think is right or wrong.
                its a simple concept that alot of top players use, what dont you get?

Comment

Originally Posted by j6uk View Post
                  its a simple concept that alot of top players use, what dont you get?
                  It's not that we don't get it, it's that people starting on the journey of trying to improve, have just got too much advice, provided in riddles, that won't help.
                  WPBSA Level 2 - 1st4Sport Coach
                  Available for personalised one-to-one coaching sessions
                  --------------------------------------------------------------------

Comment

It's not that we don't get it, it's that people starting on the journey of trying to improve, have just got too much advice, provided in riddles, that won't help.
                    Last edited by Byrom; 20 August 2015, 11:16 PM.

Comment

I'm going to write a book called "The previously undisclosed and partially disguised unknown and sometimes unmentioned secrets of snooker".

126 pages long, every page just says "don't miss!" in really big letters.

Comment

Originally Posted by jonny66 View Post
                        I'm going to write a book called "The previously undisclosed and partially disguised unknown and sometimes unmentioned secrets of snooker".

126 pages long, every page just says "don't miss!" in really big letters.
                        Goodluk with the book !!
                        I agree with sum of members that things are gonna be complicated sometimes an that is not good .
                        ! but on other hand, I know many experienced snooker players who have experimented diff kind of technique during their career !! as snooker player you can always try another technique and in case does'nt suit ur game ,, go back and pick up ur own technique which you're comfortable with !! frankly, I do'nt know this guy from the video.So I have no interest to defend him !!! I just respect him as sumone with many yrs of experience.
                        Lets fac it ,, it's a free world and everyone can promote his book or video !! fortunately we have the choice to choose whether we gonna do it Or Not !!
                        Btw ,, I do agree with J6 !! What he says is just a simple concept !! Is Not complicted at all . But That's just my opinion !!

Comment

The dissing is only coming from those straight cue coaches who only know the modern game, back in the day there were other ways and means to stroke the cue ball around the table and this bloke knows those ways and his own personal ways. I doubt he knows the physics but does know the results and getting it across to people who only look for information online and aren't used to actually thinking is one hell of a problem.

He says he made his first century within a year of taking up the game, that would be in the 1950's using old heavier crystalate balls (maybe something even older and heavier) on a cloth that my gran knitted (and she was known to drop the odd stitch or two) in a dingy, cold british legion club in the middle of winter where the cue ball raised a fishtail of condenstaion as it travelled along the table.

Anyone who could do that should be listened to.

Comment

If he publishes his theories then surely I'm allowed to disagree with those theories? Also, we are no longer playing under those older conditions (well, most of us anyway) and shouldn't any coaching book address conditions as they are.

Most of you only watched his video and what he shows in the video bears NO relation to what he says in the book. Using side and power to adjust your aim, getting down to the left of the line of aim and then swinging the body and cue onto the line of aim are 2 principles he discusses in the book I disagree with. I have been up front with my remarks and privided the author with my review stating exactly what and why I disagreed.

In yesteryear most players did play mostly soft shots and used angles to gain position with not a lot of power. Just look at the records of the number of larger breaks previous to 1960 or so. In my opinion what happened can be said in just 2 words - 'Alex Higgins' who completely changed the way snooker was played up until that time and following Alex was Jimmy White and a host of other power players.

I've seen somewhere Perry Manns (sp?) from South Africa actually won a ranking tournament with a highest break in the 40's. If you happen to be a club player who never plays anywhere else but his own club and they have old balls, tight pockets and slow cloths with weak lighting then perhaps the methods of Roy Chisholm will work for you. His methods are not meant for the modern player who plays in tournaments or leagues in different venues and has to adjust to varying conditions.

I could be wrong though since the subject of this string is a tribute from a young tournament winner to Roy Chisholm.
                            Last edited by Terry Davidson; 21 August 2015, 12:32 PM.
                            Terry Davidson
                            IBSF Master Coach & Examiner

Comment

Originally Posted by Terry Davidson View Post
                              If he publishes his theories then surely I'm allowed to disagree with those theories? Also, we are no longer playing under those older conditions (well, most of us anyway) and shouldn't any coaching book address conditions as they are.

Most of you only watched his video and what he shows in the video bears NO relation to what he says in the book. Using side and power to adjust your aim, getting down to the left of the line of aim and then swinging the body and cue onto the line of aim are 2 principles he discusses in the book I disagree with. I have been up front with my remarks and privided the author with my review stating exactly what and why I disagreed.

In yesteryear most players did play mostly soft shots and used angles to gain position with not a lot of power. Just look at the records of the number of larger breaks previous to 1960 or so. In my opinion what happened can be said in just 2 words - 'Alex Higgins' who completely changed the way snooker was played up until that time and following Alex was Jimmy White and a host of other power players.

I've seen somewhere Perry Manns (sp?) from South Africa actually won a ranking tournament with a highest break in the 40's. If you happen to be a club player who never plays anywhere else but his own club and they have old balls, tight pockets and slow cloths with weak lighting then perhaps the methods of Roy Chisholm will work for you. His methods are not meant for the modern player who plays in tournaments or leagues in different venues and has to adjust to varying conditions.

I could be wrong though since the subject of this string is a tribute from a young tournament winner to Roy Chisholm.
                              1979 Masters.... no break over 50 I believe
                              #jeSuisMasterBlasterBarryWhite2v1977Luclex(andHisF ictiousTwin)BigSplash!

Comment

Respect the old way and his passion to the game.

However, I rather take a lesson with Terry or Nic Barrow

Comment

Working...
                                X