X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Snooker Room size

Hi everyone,
    this is my first post so go easy on me! 😁
    I am about to have a Snooker room built but the size is limited due to Permitted development and also being in a Conservation area!
    I am allowed to go up to 30m2 internal size which is not quite big enough for a Full size cue all the way around the table so am asking everyones ideas on the best size combination to stick to the allowed size.
    I have been reading through some of the other Snooker room builds on here and I found a lot of useful information.
    I was thinking of going with enough room to cue around the sides of the table and using a smaller cue at the baulk and black end when tight in the cushion.
    Has anyone had this scenario with their room and how did it work out?
    Before anyone says get a smaller table it's too late for that as I have already bought a Riley Aristocrat and it has been in storage for several months due to being let down by by an incompetent builder and then ripped off by a garden room company (long story) so this is my 3rd attempt at getting it built!
    Also Planning permission is not an option.
    Interested to hear everyone's thoughts?

What is the reason for the 30m2 limit? Is it quite a small garden? The only time I've heard of a 30m2 limit, that was to do with building regs, and didn't seem like that much of a big deal to overcome if you have a competent builder.
    Last edited by Mark187187; 26 April 2022, 08:40 AM.

Comment

You can go bigger than 30m2 but then Building Control class this as a garage? From what I remember… which means there are regs about what materials the building is made from and if your in a conservation area this would need checking with both the council and building control before you start work. Upto 30m2 and you can basically build what you like so long as it’s more than a meter from the boundary and no taller than 2.5m and doesn’t take up more than X amount of your garden…

My shed I think came in at 32m2 (building control man said it’s fine) and is pretty tight to play off the cushion at 90 degrees to the table. If you have a cue longer than 58” then you’ll need more room. Check out my Project Snooker Shed blog on the forum.

Honestly the best advice would be to figure out how big you want it so it’s got the room you need, take note of the sizes and the proximity to surrounding buildings and your neighbours fences etc, then give Building Control a call! They’ll usually come out free of charge as a initial site visit and discuss what you can and can’t do, they are Very helpful! Also just double check the rules regarding living in a conservation area, they may insist the building is made from certain materials etc. I found different advice online and was totally confused, one call to my local planning and building control department sorted out most of the queries.

Where in the world are you out of interest?

Steve

Comment

Originally Posted by Danger Steve View Post
        You can go bigger than 30m2 but then Building Control class this as a garage? From what I remember… which means there are regs about what materials the building is made from and if your in a conservation area this would need checking with both the council and building control before you start work. Upto 30m2 and you can basically build what you like so long as it’s more than a meter from the boundary and no taller than 2.5m and doesn’t take up more than X amount of your garden…

My shed I think came in at 32m2 (building control man said it’s fine) and is pretty tight to play off the cushion at 90 degrees to the table. If you have a cue longer than 58” then you’ll need more room. Check out my Project Snooker Shed blog on the forum.

Honestly the best advice would be to figure out how big you want it so it’s got the room you need, take note of the sizes and the proximity to surrounding buildings and your neighbours fences etc, then give Building Control a call! They’ll usually come out free of charge as a initial site visit and discuss what you can and can’t do, they are Very helpful! Also just double check the rules regarding living in a conservation area, they may insist the building is made from certain materials etc. I found different advice online and was totally confused, one call to my local planning and building control department sorted out most of the queries.

Steve
        If he's going the permitted development planning route the only additional restriction for being in a Conservation Area is that it has to be at the back of the building (outside a Cons Area you can also build to the side of your house if you're on a big plot).

I'd agree with what you say about going after what you actually want. We had a small club set up in an outbuilding in the grounds of a church nearby. 3 tables, but the building was slightly too small and we ended up losing a table rather than having to use short cues. An extra metre was all that would have been needed and I doubt the Building Control guys would have cared.

Comment

Originally Posted by Mark187187 View Post

If he's going the permitted development planning route the only additional restriction for being in a Conservation Area is that it has to be at the back of the building (outside a Cons Area you can also build to the side of your house if you're on a big plot).

I'd agree with what you say about going after what you actually want. We had a small club set up in an outbuilding in the grounds of a church nearby. 3 tables, but the building was slightly too small and we ended up losing a table rather than having to use short cues. An extra metre was all that would have been needed and I doubt the Building Control guys would have cared.
          Interesting about the conservation point! I’m not in a conservation area so I didn’t need to worry.

So long as you stay on their good side (building control that is) they are generally very helpful. An extra few inches here and there and their really not bothered as long as it looks good when it’s done.

Give them a bell it’s the safest way!

Comment

Originally Posted by Danger Steve View Post

Steve
            Hi Danger Steve, thanks for the reply!
            When you say your shed came in at 32m2 was that internal or external as I found out its only the internal floor space that has to be 30m2 so the outside of the building can be a bit bigger and still be allowed which is handy.
            I am trying to get an idea of what size internally will work.
            I am in South Wales! 👍

Comment

Originally Posted by Daz7147 View Post

Hi Danger Steve, thanks for the reply!
              When you say your shed came in at 32m2 was that internal or external as I found out its only the internal floor space that has to be 30m2 so the outside of the building can be a bit bigger and still be allowed which is handy.
              I am trying to get an idea of what size internally will work.
              I am in South Wales! 👍
              Yeah the internal space.

I mean technically it states ‘floor area’ 30m2! Nothing to stop you having maybe a 6” square boxing around the perimeter of the room to push the walls out wider, this would give you more cue room around the table higher up?.. I’m working away at the moment, otherwise I’d give you the exact measurements of mine.

How I worked it out was like this, take the ‘playing area’ dimensions of your snooker table, so that’s the nose of the cushions (the bit the balls hit) and then add say 60” for a long cue, plus say another 4” for a backswing (which is usually quite short when cueing off a cushion). That measurement is your absolute minimum that you want your room to be in an ideal world.
              I think just roughly working it out it’s something like 6.8m x 5m which equates to 34m2. Mine is a bit less which is why it’s a fraction tight, but you can still play off the cushion with a 58” cue, so long as you don’t have a huge backswing!

South Wales isn’t a million miles from me in Warwick….. just saying

Comment

Hi Steve,
                I was thinking could I get away with 21ft x 15.5ft internal which would be a fraction over 30m2? 🤔
                My cue is 57" long but i don't hold my cue at the very end even for mid table shots, there is about 5" behind my back hand probably even more for cushion shots!
                I even thought of getting my cue cut down and getting rid of the extra at the end which would probably be enough to be able to cue off the cushion with my room size!
                Yes it would be great if you could give me the exact length and width of your room internally as there's only so much working out you can do on paper but you can't beat speaking to someone who's done it!
                Yes would love to be able to see your set up it looks fantastic!

Comment

Don’t cut your cue down to fit the room ,you will will mess up the balance and your cue action and it won’t solve your problem of a room that’s too small .Basically you need internal measurements of 22 x16 feet .As Steve says if your rooms not started get the regulation guys in and do it as big as can or at least to minimal size for a full size table .

Comment

Hi Steve,
                    I was thinking could I get away with 21ft x 15.5ft internal which would be a fraction over 30m2? 🤔
                    My cue is 57" long but i don't hold my cue at the very end even for mid table shots, there is about 5" behind my back hand probably even more for cushion shots!
                    I even thought of getting my cue cut down and getting rid of the extra at the end which would probably be enough to be able to cue off the cushion with my room size!
                    Yes it would be great if you could give me the exact length and width of your room internally as there's only so much working out you can do on paper but you can't beat speaking to someone who's done it!
                    Yes would love to be able to see your set up it looks fantastic!
                    Yeah don’t chop your cue down mate that’s not the way to go! What if you want to have players round for a game? Pretty sure they won’t want to chop their cue 🤨🤣

There is a lad on here called Nonstarter, he has also built a snooker room, but unlike mine which was a cheap DIY project, he had builders and built his from block and rendered walls. The room is much bigger than 30m2 but yet his garden is smaller than mine so it will be interesting to know how he built that without planning permission?

I haven’t checked but I’m sure if you go bigger than 30m2 it just means it has to be built out of certain materials and to a certain standard. I didn’t do this because I was on a very small budget and I work better with wood than blocks!

Whichever way you go, make sure you put down a good concrete base for the table to sit on, this will stop it from moving over time. Next go for the best insulation you can afford and you want to also think about heating and cooling the room and also maybe adding some table heaters if the room does get a bit cold and humid. You’ll want a plug socket under the table for sure!

Happy for you to come and see mine and pick my brains, just bring your cue and we can have a game .

Comment

I am thinking of having the room built to 21 feet x 15.5 feet and using a 52" cue for shots tight on the cushion! 🤔

Comment

I am thinking of having the room built to 21 feet x 15.5 feet and using a 52" cue for shots tight on the cushion! 🤔
                        Internal size that is!

Comment

https://assets.publishing.service.go...publishing.pdf

Looking here I can’t see anything about the 30m2 rule? Only rules regarding the height in relation to your boundary and the total outbuildings not taking up more than 50% of your entire garden (front and back).

I’d give your local building control department a ring today and just ask them flat out. It’s the best way. If you can fit say a 35m2 snooker room in the garden then just tell them you want to build a games room that size. See what they say and let us know how you get on.

Comment

Ok so just done more reading… so if you want over 30m2 and your snooker room and other sheds or outbuildings total less than 50% of your garden, then you don’t need planning but you will need building regs.

So basically building regs just means the building will have to be constructed of certain materials and to a certain standard to get passed once completed. So Therefore I’d say phone your local department and just ask how they want you to build it so it complies to their own regs. Sometime areas have different rules than others so always worth double checking!

Hope that helps

Comment

Thanks Steve 👍
                              would you be able to give me the exact width and length of your room internally if that's possible? 🙂

Comment

Working...
                              X