Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally Posted by Daz7147 View Post
    Thanks Steve 👍
    would you be able to give me the exact width and length of your room internally if that's possible? 🙂
    I can but will have to wait until Saturday.

Comment

Originally Posted by Danger Steve View Post

No problem, thanks Steve 👍

Comment

Hi gents.

Not been playing much lately but been on here much. I'm glad I did, it's always great to see another snooker room dream turning into a reality, fingers crossed!

Steve is spot on. My room was pretty big. The footprint is around 45m2 but with some of that lost to a small washroom, double skin walls, insulation, dot and dab plaster boards etc.

If your room won't take up over 50% of the garden and it's over 30m2 building regs is the way to go. For any walls less than 1m from a boundary they're a bit anal about material due to fire risk. This is what sent me down the block built route and I'm glad tbh. Budget well and get as much detail into it as you can ie architects etc. My roof needed a structural engineer as well - just depends what lengths you want to go to. Having said all that - Steve's room is also great and clearly providing him so much joy.

Don't compromise space around the table. Listen to Steve re the minimum space you need. That's my parting advice

Comment

I am also planning building my shed in garden, due to regulations i have to stick to 40 m² so i think i'm going for 7 meters * 5.5 meters, i know it will be tight but should be just ok i think.

Comment

Originally Posted by Delphi View Post
            I am also planning building my shed in garden, due to regulations i have to stick to 40 m² so i think i'm going for 7 meters * 5.5 meters, i know it will be tight but should be just ok i think.
            That’s plenty of room.. I suppose it’s just if you want a sofa or chairs etc it might be? But plenty of room there for a table 👍

Comment

Nah no sofa, i'll probably put a pc keyboard and small monitor in a corner using as little space as possible, and in the corner as it won't be in the way there.
              That's probably the exterior size though, i'll go see to the shed builder the day after tomorrow how thick the walls are, might add isolation and gyproc or so myself to make it nice and neat..

Comment

Hi Steve, sorry to be a pain but did you manage to get the internal sizes of your room after?
                Cheers.

Comment

Hi mate,

Just measured my room and it’s 4820mm X 6600mm (31.8m2).

I would say you could get away with making it just that bit bigger! At the end of the day, worse case scenario you build it, they say the internal square meterage is too big and all you need to do is add a stud wall at one end? That’s actually what I thought about doing but I have another large shed next to the snooker shed and I needed X amount of space between them, so I stuck with what I had. In hindsight I should have gone just a bit bigger, I’ve had a couple of people round who didn’t like it when their cue started to hit the wall!

I’d say really you want it 5m X 6.8m minimum, which would be 34m2. There’s no saying the building inspector will even turn up.. Mine did because a green-eyed neighbour bubbled me, but the inspector actually said it looked great and he was happy with what I’d done! He didn’t even get out the tape measure! But like I say, even if they do check the size there are options for making it smaller. You could add a bit of wall thickness or you could even make the corners into a Octagon shape! Plenty of space in the corners that you don’t really need.

So yeah, my advice, go big and you can always make it smaller, but you can’t make it bigger!

Steve

Comment

Hi mate,

Just measured my room and it’s 4820mm X 6600mm (31.8m2).

I would say you could get away with making it just that bit bigger! At the end of the day, worse case scenario you build it, they say the internal square meterage is too big and all you need to do is add a stud wall at one end? That’s actually what I thought about doing but I have another large shed next to the snooker shed and I needed X amount of space between them, so I stuck with what I had. In hindsight I should have gone just a bit bigger, I’ve had a couple of people round who didn’t like it when their cue started to hit the wall!

I’d say really you want it 5m X 6.8m minimum, which would be 34m2. There’s no saying the building inspector will even turn up.. Mine did because a green-eyed neighbour bubbled me, but the inspector actually said it looked great and he was happy with what I’d done! He didn’t even get out the tape measure! But like I say, even if they do check the size there are options for making it smaller. You could add a bit of wall thickness or you could even make the corners into a Octagon shape! Plenty of space in the corners that you don’t really need.

So yeah, my advice, go big and you can always make it smaller, but you can’t make it bigger!

Steve
                    Thanks for that Steve! 👍

I have decided to go with having it 21ft by 15.5ft and stay around the 30m2 size as I spoke to the planning department and they advised me to apply for a Lawful Development Certificate which would take about 5-6 weeks and also if I went bigger I would have to get Building Control involved to which would push the price up so i think I'm going to stay around the Permitted size and just use a 52" cue for shots tight on the cushions.

It's only really for me to practice on so not really bothered what anyone would think if they came over for a game.

Also with the table being in storage since September due to being let down on 2 other attempts to get the room built i cant really afford to wait any longer to get started!

Wish me luck!! 🤞

Comment

That’s plenty of room.. I suppose it’s just if you want a sofa or chairs etc it might be? But plenty of room there for a table 👍
                      Actually bought a table and stuff already, moving it here next Tuesday although i won't be able to set it up until fall.
                      Beautiful table, steelblock, sheffield world championship '93 final table i'm told.
                      https://drive.google.com/uc?id=1UQxx...bpoa7Yfvdci5n_

Comment

That’s a nice looking table!

Comment

I get told this is the table Jimmy White & Stephen Hendry played on in the final, i wished there was a way to verify that.

Comment

Loverly looking table but it won’t be from the 1993 world snooker championships as BCE were still the table contractor ,it was their twelve and last year ,Aristracrats were used from 1994 .

Comment

Good point Mikee, must be the 1994 table and not 1993, i checked youtube videos and '93 was indeed a BCE.
                              I wonder if Riley would confirm the history if i find the serial number.

Comment

Originally Posted by Delphi View Post
                                Good point Mikee, must be the 1994 table and not 1993, i checked youtube videos and '93 was indeed a BCE.
                                I wonder if Riley would confirm the history if i find the serial number.
                                I doubt it! They’re useless with stuff like that! I tried to verify a table I had been told was a UK final table from 96. Zero reply after several emails and phone calls.

if you have access to the table while it’s in pieces you can check the date of manufacture to at least confirm it’s age. Every component will have a number stamped on it, the first two numbers are the date it was made.

Over the years there have been lots of tables that claim to be this table or that table… I think there was a story going round about a world final table that was apparently in 3 different clubs? Turns out one club had the slate, another the cushions and the 3rd had the frame! So none of them actually had the complete table.
                                Last edited by Danger Steve; 4 June 2022, 11:25 AM.

Comment

Working...
                                X