This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally Posted by ghost121 View Post
    I genuinely hope you really enjoyed the order process (which is half the fun) and that the cue is everything you want it to be. Whatever the design, it will be uniquely yours, which is all that matters. I raised the issue of the balance point because it is critical when switching cues and you had not mentioned it. I therefore suspected you had not considered it. Contrary to what you might think about its importance at your level, it is vital you accurately measure the bp on your playing cue and have JP duplicate it. That gives you the absolute best chance of having your Ultimate play as a keeper. Given JP's reputation for giving the fussy pros exactly what they want, it should be no problem for him. As you know, I have posted my dislike of the JP hype but that doesn't mean his outfit can't make a superb cue. The only other thing I would say is that practising the line up is not good for match play. Line up centuries are relatively easy to make. If you want your match game to improve go for specific routines and patterns. The Ding app is a good place to start and it's free.
    Thanks for a good post.

I will be speaking to the JP shop tomorrow to discuss the BP. Yes it was overlooked by me for sure.

I agree that centuries are easy with the line up as there is a lot of room for error but I take the balls in sequence with the reds in between the blue and black with 2 balls between the black and bottom cushion. I start with the red closest to the cushion and work my way up the table but focus on taking blacks with every red. It gets hard the less reds you have. I am yet to make a 147 like this but have come close.
    I have not seen the Ding app, is it available on Android? will take a look.

cheers

Comment

• Originally Posted by 2v1977 View Post
      I have not seen the Ding app, is it available on Android? will take a look.
      I have not found it, if you do let us know
      Up the TSF! :snooker:

Comment

I have dropped the biggest veneered cue this forum has ever seen and I love it.
        not sure that would be the case?
        have you seen some of those Crispian Jones and Trevor White creations with multiple, opposed, reversed splices?
        I shall see if I can find a photo or two.

Comment

• Originally Posted by Master Blaster View Post
          Sounds messy, surely if you split a one piece shaft, it isn't a one-piece anymore?
          It's how the majority of one piece cues are made these days, most are not even one piece of timber split but two different pieces drilled, dowelled and glued together after a weight has been inserted into the longest shaft length.
          Cheaper to produce and easier to make as the balance point is easier to set as you don't have to drill precisely central over fifteen inches from the butt end to place the weight.

Friend of mine had a new Green Baize one piece that rattled on the strike and brought it to me thinking it was the ferrule, but I found out by using a metal detector that it had two weights inserted in the butt, one above the splices and one six inches from the butt end and it was this one that was loose and causing the noise.

I told him how this cue was probably made and he sent it back for a refund. You need to know these things when buying something that is deemed to be something it's not. Taking a metal detector with you to the snooker shop is probably the thing to do when buying a one piece. Sounds drastic and you might feel a bit silly but how else would you know.

Comment

• Originally Posted by vmax4steve View Post
            It's how the majority of one piece cues are made these days, most are not even one piece of timber split but two different pieces drilled, dowelled and glued together after a weight has been inserted into the longest shaft length.
            Cheaper to produce and easier to make as the balance point is easier to set as you don't have to drill precisely central over fifteen inches from the butt end to place the weight.

Friend of mine had a new Green Baize one piece that rattled on the strike and brought it to me thinking it was the ferrule, but I found out by using a metal detector that it had two weights inserted in the butt, one above the splices and one six inches from the butt end and it was this one that was loose and causing the noise.

I told him how this cue was probably made and he sent it back for a refund. You need to know these things when buying something that is deemed to be something it's not. Taking a metal detector with you to the snooker shop is probably the thing to do when buying a one piece. Sounds drastic and you might feel a bit silly but how else would you know.
            I can't wait to see the replies to your post. It will certainly put a few noses out of joint. haha, superb

Comment

• Originally Posted by DeanH View Post
              not sure that would be the case?
              have you seen some of those Crispian Jones and Trevor White creations with multiple, opposed, reversed splices?
              I shall see if I can find a photo or two.
              Some of these are pretty busy too

http://i1059.photobucket.com/albums/...esGWAD311J.jpg

Comment

• Originally Posted by billabong View Post
                that is what I was thinking of yes

Comment

I can't wait to see the replies to your post. It will certainly put a few noses out of joint. haha, superb
                  WOWSERS!

FFS, that's awful, are all GBL cues made in Thailand this way? VMax on the money again, font of info. Cheaper yes, cheap = nasty usually.

This is what I dislike, split shafts, weights all over the place, kiln-dried wood, joints (grrrr!) and buttplugs (SD joints)

Ok, Ronnie has a joint in his cue but he won't allow JP to put a buttplug in it. Hammer effect that ruins balance.

If you want your cue to forward balanced 2v, dump the SD joint. Ronnie uses a push on so anyone can. I do as well. SD joints ruin feel.

The modern way of making cues is shocking. It makes me want to start up my own cue company and do it right. Grrrr!
                  Last edited by Master Blaster; 29 March 2015, 03:52 PM.

Comment

• SD joint ruins the feel?

Explain....
                    #jeSuisMasterBlasterBarryWhite2v1977Luclex(andHisF ictiousTwin)BigSplash!

Comment

• Originally Posted by bolton-cueman View Post
                      SD joint ruins the feel?

Explain....
                      I could explain but I will let VMax do so, in his expert way. It's basically about resonance and balance. Weights do something even worse. The best player ever won't have one in his cue. Why?

Comment

WOWSERS!

FFS, that's awful, are all GBL cues made in Thailand this way? VMax on the money again, font of info. Cheaper yes, cheap = nasty usually.

This is what I dislike, split shafts, weights all over the place, kiln-dried wood, joints (grrrr!) and buttplugs (SD joints)

Ok, Ronnie has a joint in his cue but he won't allow JP to put a buttplug in it. Hammer effect that ruins balance.

If you want your cue to forward balanced 2v, dump the SD joint. Ronnie uses a push on so anyone can. I do as well. SD joints ruin feel.

The modern way of making cues is shocking. It makes me want to start up my own cue company and do it right. Grrrr!
                        It's nothing new bw were doing it in the 50s in hand spliced cues it's done to optimise the cutting of blanks an yes thai cues but not all are made like this, you learn something every day if you take the time to listen

Comment

I could explain but I will let VMax do so, in his expert way. It's basically about resonance and balance. Weights do something even worse. The best player ever won't have one in his cue. Why?
                          but davis, Hendry (later on), white, Higgins, Williams, Ding do have.... Why?

and I asked you, not vmax....

Comment

but davis, Hendry (later on), white, Higgins, Williams, Ding do have.... Why?

and I asked you, not vmax....
                            who is the best player ever? who does not have a weight in their cue?
                            https://www.ebay.co.uk/str/adr147

Comment

• Originally Posted by ADR147 View Post
                              who is the best player ever? who does not have a weight in their cue?
                              he means O'Sullivan (or possibly J6... not sure).

Comment

he means O'Sullivan (or possibly J6... not sure).
                                ronnies cue is 18.3oz so it is weighted for sure.
                                https://www.ebay.co.uk/str/adr147

Comment

Working...
                                X