Alrocco.snooker secrets

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Free info from Slashers Snooker Secrets
    99.999% of Snooker coaches talk a load of bollocks, mostly failed players that need some cash.

Comment

Living up to your name then I see.

Comment

Originally Posted by alrocco View Post
        You know, Terry and many many coaches and players still don't get it, and am afraid they never will, again all I can say is EVERYONE plays with unintentional side. This I can prove beyond any shadow of a doubt. It looks like to me that they are just using this site as a place of argumentative amusement. All i can say this system of mine makes the game much easier to learn and then to develop there own way. Terry should not decry it because it is not his way of playing or teaching. I myself have had uncountable hundreds my highest being 137, and at the age of 85 put together in the Dorset Seniors of which I won a break of 69. Also students who come to me not being able to cue correctly, not being able to pot the simplest of balls, within the space of a 1 hour lesson are potting 8 out of10. Using run through, stun and screw back. Anyway thanks for comment, it is all good for snooker. Roy of Snooker Secrets.
        Roy:

What I'm disagreeing with is your statement that since all players put on unintentional side then we might as well use side all the time. If a good cueist is trying to hit centre-ball on a shot I believe he will come within 1mm of centre-ball so you seem to be right there HOWEVER that less than 1mm of variance won't make a blind bit of difference to whether he pots the ball or not.

On long pots the player attempting to hit centre-ball only has to aim where he intends to strike the OB with no thoughts about compensation on the pot. With your method of using side on all shots the player on each long pot has to consider CB deflection, power of the shot and speed of the cloth (and whether the CB is light or not). That's much too much mental activity I believe.

I did review your video (bought it) but all I remember is mostly middle pocket stuff where there is the most room for error. I don't remember anything about straight-on pots and how you would choose left or right side. Your method is used by a lot of great players when they need to get pin-point position on a slightly angled pot and try to straighten out the pot a bit in order to stop or slow down the cueball.

I also didn't see anything regarding long power shots or in fact any power shots at all. Snooker is a game of stun and screw with a lot more power shots than billiards.

I would also like to rebut the statement on here from Slasher as I don't make a living from coaching (and don't need the cash so I guess I'm one of the exceptions from his 'most') nor was I a failed player however I for certain do not play as well as I used to as I'm 72 years old but in my defense I recently had a 104 in a match and I have even made the 1/4-finals of the last 2 ranking tournaments I've played in. In solo practice on my own table here at home I make a couple of centuries a month and I'm perfectly fine with that.
        Terry Davidson
        IBSF Master Coach & Examiner

Comment

[QUOTE=Terry Davidson;949149]Roy:

What I'm disagreeing with is your statement that since all players put on unintentional side then we might as well use side all the time. If a good cueist is trying to hit centre-ball on a shot I believe he will come within 1mm of centre-ball so you seem to be right there HOWEVER that less than 1mm of variance won't make a blind bit of difference to whether he pots the ball or not.

On long pots the player attempting to hit centre-ball only has to aim where he intends to strike the OB with no thoughts about compensation on the pot. With your method of using side on all shots the player on each long pot has to consider CB deflection, power of the shot and speed of the cloth (and whether the CB is light or not). That's much too much mental activity I believe.

I did review your video (bought it) but all I remember is mostly middle pocket stuff where there is the most room for error. I don't remember anything about straight-on pots and how you would choose left or right side. Your method is used by a lot of great players when they need to get pin-point position on a slightly angled pot and try to straighten out the pot a bit in order to stop or slow down the cueball.

I also didn't see anything regarding long power shots or in fact any power shots at all. Snooker is a game of stun and screw with a lot more power shots than billiards.

I would also like to rebut the statement on here from Slasher as I don't make a living from coaching (and don't need the cash so I guess I'm one of the exceptions from his 'most') nor was I a failed player however I for certain do not play as well as I used to as I'm 72 years old but in my defense I recently had a 104 in a match and I have even made the 1/4-finals of the last 2 ranking tournaments I've played in. In solo practice on my own table here at home I make a couple of centuries a month and I'm perfectly fine with that.[/QUOTE

Fair play Terry - I hope I'm still making regular 100s at your age as not many keep up that level of scoring.

Comment

I wonder why Jimmy White feathers the bottom of the cueball before raising his tip to strike the intended spot.
            Could you explain that Roy? He's also known for some of the craziest side spin shots anyone has ever seen so he must know about your 'black arts' of snooker that the plain ball Jim's know nothing about and havent reached the magical level yet.

If this is the case why is Jimmy feather the point of the cueball that touches the cloth?
            Could it be that is his way of finding centre ball? Why would a professional player value centre ball so much if your basically saying it's not how anyone should play snooker cos you can't actually hit centre with 100% certainty.

You might be a decent player but the whole theory is sketchy at best to be honest.
            Judge throw, speed of cloth, power, TC balls non TC balls variations on cue's, tips etc that all comes from experience of using side and you need to be a decent player already to understand that.

Teaching someone who can't make a 50 break to use side is run before you can walk so I don't agree with it but fair enough whatever sells books for you.

Comment

Originally Posted by Terry Davidson View Post
              Roy:

I would also like to rebut the statement on here from Slasher as I don't make a living from coaching (and don't need the cash so I guess I'm one of the exceptions from his 'most') nor was I a failed player however I for certain do not play as well as I used to as I'm 72 years old but in my defense I recently had a 104 in a match and I have even made the 1/4-finals of the last 2 ranking tournaments I've played in. In solo practice on my own table here at home I make a couple of centuries a month and I'm perfectly fine with that.
              My point is that the info I see the majority of "coaches" proliferating is not based on empirical evidence, as with many great players they do not even know what they actually do when they shoot. What I do see is many young players wasting their time trying to execute techniques that are pointless simply because some self appointed guru said it was so. Then when things go wrong with their performance they spend a lifetime trying to fix what isn't broken, it is all very painful to watch.

Comment

Originally Posted by Slasher View Post
                My point is that the info I see the majority of "coaches" proliferating is not based on empirical evidence, as with many great players they do not even know what they actually do when they shoot. What I do see is many young players wasting their time trying to execute techniques that are pointless simply because some self appointed guru said it was so. Then when things go wrong with their performance they spend a lifetime trying to fix what isn't broken, it is all very painful to watch.
                have you had some bad experiences with coaches? if so what, and how dd you rectify it to go on to become a decent player?

-
                Last edited by j6uk; 12 December 2017, 06:23 PM.

Comment

Originally Posted by Derek P View Post
                  I wonder why Jimmy White feathers the bottom of the cueball before raising his tip to strike the intended spot.
                  Could you explain that Roy? He's also known for some of the craziest side spin shots anyone has ever seen so he must know about your 'black arts' of snooker that the plain ball Jim's know nothing about and havent reached the magical level yet.

If this is the case why is Jimmy feather the point of the cueball that touches the cloth?
                  Could it be that is his way of finding centre ball? Why would a professional player value centre ball so much if your basically saying it's not how anyone should play snooker cos you can't actually hit centre with 100% certainty.

You might be a decent player but the whole theory is sketchy at best to be honest.
                  Judge throw, speed of cloth, power, TC balls non TC balls variations on cue's, tips etc that all comes from experience of using side and you need to be a decent player already to understand that.

Teaching someone who can't make a 50 break to use side is run before you can walk so I don't agree with it but fair enough whatever sells books for you.
                  He cues at the bottom of the cue ball because finding the centre of the cue ball is, er, difficult - which is rather the point Roy is making.

Regardless, and not that i have a dog in this fight, but i often butcher a centre ball shot but have NEVER butchered one with side. For some reason, i just don't quit or twitch a shot with side, ever.

Comment

Originally Posted by j6uk View Post
                    have you had some bad experiences with coaches? if so what, and how dd you rectify it to go on to become a decent player?

-

Was never formally coached.
                    I started playing late at 18 did all the wrong things for many many years it was only late in life I realized there was a lot of nonsense talked by people that just passed on the old wives tales. Never the less I managed to improve 10 fold once I started to focus on what was important, went from 30 break player to occasional ton but there were not enough years left for me to ever make pro level.

Concentrate on what's important to execute and for it to be repeatable.
                    The only goal on the mechanical side of the equation is to delivery the tip to the intended point at the intended speed.
                    The main things that affect the outcome are the grip/anchor and bridge length/pivot point. The grip is the main factor in how straight the cue goes through and the pivot point is a factor in the variances introduced at the grip. The length of the bridge will be a determining factor in how much cue speed you can generate by allowing a longer back swing ("cue power" as the commentators like to say) but with a longer bridge you usually get more inconsistencies.

If your setup and address is consistent most problems go away ("Timing" as the commentators like to say) it matters little what they are just that they are consistent.
                    I'm not implying being completely unorthodox will put you on the same learning curve but allowing a more natural approach and focusing on the few simple mechanics probably will.

Comment

Originally Posted by Hello, Mr Big Shot View Post
                      He cues at the bottom of the cue ball because finding the centre of the cue ball is, er, difficult - which is rather the point Roy is making.

Regardless, and not that i have a dog in this fight, but i often butcher a centre ball shot but have NEVER butchered one with side. For some reason, i just don't quit or twitch a shot with side, ever.
                      Originally Posted by Derek P View Post

I think Jimmy does this because he was a non taught natural genius who did things his own way. The text book is for people who look for assistance from orthodox methods. Some natural ability needs little nurture, long may that live and entertain us. For those that orthodox methods work for, that's great, some of us may never persevere to a better level without it. Where it helps I'm sure it's welcome and makes the game more enjoyable but it's important for those who give advice to take notice of natural ability and not forcefully advise orthodox principals to young players.
                      ⚪ 🔴🟡🟢🟤🔵💗⚫🕳️😎

Comment

Alrocco.snooker secrets

So much absolute nonsense on this thread...

Made for entertaining reading though

Comment

J6... How did it go, mate?

High break of 60...Two lessons
                          BOSH... Long red 130 odd Total Clearance!

Can't remember who posted that story but I remember that was J6's reply and it made me **** myself back then

Comment

It's a piece of cake to address the centre of the cue ball, the real problem is getting the butt of the cue on the line of aim. Do that and you will cue straight if you stay still on the shot and keep your eye on the OB on the strike.

If you can't get the butt of the cue on the line of aim you will be cueing across the line of aim whether you are attempting centre ball striking or sidespin, and if you can get the butt of the cue on the line of aim but move on the shot you will also cue across the line on delivery.

It's all about stance to get the feet in the right place to get the butt of the cue on the line of aim, and it's then all about hand eye when delivering the cue and keeping still on the shot to ensure everything stays on line.

Then there's Judd Trump who addresses to the right of where he wants to strike the cue ball because he always moves on the shot yet plays to a fantastic standard that none of us can possibly reach or teach.

BTW
                            I went down with food poisoning on saturday, still getting over it and haven't eaten anything but a cheese sandwich since sunday, but I had to play league tonight or the team would have been short. I gave 36 start and won by 60 because I was so bloody exhausted that once down on the shot I couldn't move and potted really well :topsy_turvy:
                            Last edited by vmax; 12 December 2017, 10:14 PM.
                            Speak up, you've got to speak up against the madness, you've got speak your mind if you dare
                            but don't try to get yourself elected, for if you do you'll have to cut your hair

Comment

HI Derek p, it's quite simple why Jimmy cues the bottom of cue ball. He has always done it that way, and if you look at other professionals they also have there OWN way of addressing cb, as for all the crazy side spin shots, look at other players also, they all have there exhibition shots. As for teaching players that can't make a 50 break to play with side is a waste of time you say. You know I think that you have a different thought than I of what side is. Side to me is just off what you think is centre, let me know if your thoughts are different to mine please. When you line up through your centre of cb to point on ob as you strike, strike about 1/4 to 1/2 a tip off your centre, not as you see side demonstrated striking 1/4 or 3/4 ball. All the best Roy of Snooker Secrets. Ps. Every one of my students have improved after just 1 visit to me.

Comment

Alrocco.snooker secrets

Delete delete

I will not feed the trolls

Delete delete
                                Last edited by pottr; 12 December 2017, 11:06 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X