Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Alrocco.snooker secrets

A free half hour lesson

I'm honoured... Free all weekend. Where are you based? We can live stream it

Comment

• [QUOTE=pottr;949394]A free half hour lesson

I'm honoured... Free all weekend. Where are you based? We can live stream it[/QUOTE

I'll pay to watch that. £££££££
      ⚪ 🔴🟡🟢🟤🔵💗⚫🕳️😎

Comment

• Originally Posted by tedisbill View Post
        I'll take a wheel and some of that new chalk please.

No probs, there'll be a delivery charge for the inconvenience though, hope you understand
        It's hard to pot balls with a Chimpanzee tea party going on in your head

Wibble

Comment

• Originally Posted by alrocco View Post
          Hi Alibadi, well you see if you try to strike centre of cue ball, SOMETIMES you will strike centre, some you will strike left, some you will strike right , so if you strike off centre say left hand side you will a ALWAYS be SURE of cue ball going in the same direction. Thanks for the enquiry, hope this explains. Cheers Roy of Snooker Secrets.
          yes, maybe? but how much side, if lets say you want half a tip left hand side and you sometimes have an error to the right , well you won't have left hand side on the cueball you will either his center or to the right depending on the error. so in effect you won't get the reaction you want.

from this i can conclude that its always better to try and aim center cueball and then if one has some error left or right they can see where they are going wrong, because they have a reference. from this they can learn. either try and correct the error or live with it and make the necessary aim adjustments to compensate which a lot of players do , Judd Trump to name one. (aims right on all shots before coming back to center)

Comment

• Frank Callan's take on side was apparently this:

http://www.fcsnooker.co.uk/coaching/...e/sidespin.htm

Not like he knew a thing or two about snooker, too many sources debunk this quite stupid method of using side to compensate for the fact you have a bad action and don't want to put the time in to learn how to strike the ball where you address it.

Power, amount of side, type of cloth, throw of the cue all this makes it near on impossible to 'invent' a 'system' if that's what you want to call it that does away with using plain ball striking. The worrying part of this whole thing is everyone I ever came across who started getting obsessed with side either dropped down their standards of playing or chucked the game all together. 1 in 20 shots at most would use something other than centre ball if you can't pot the ball with top stun or screw putting side on the ball isn't going to help your chances either

Comment

• Originally Posted by Derek P View Post
              Frank Callan's take on side was apparently this:

http://www.fcsnooker.co.uk/coaching/...e/sidespin.htm

Not like he knew a thing or two about snooker, too many sources debunk this quite stupid method of using side to compensate for the fact you have a bad action and don't want to put the time in to learn how to strike the ball where you address it.
              i have spoke to many pros and coaches too, and they all have errors in their cueing and compensate their aiming , which works because the error is embedded in their action and is constant. i ask why not learn to strike center cueball and one answered he can strike center however he has to concentrate so much and then adjust his aiming from his natural aiming that it's too much effort.
              Last edited by alabadi; 14 December 2017, 12:56 PM.

Comment

• Originally Posted by alabadi View Post
                i have spoke to many pros and coaches too, and they all have errors in their cueing and compensate their aiming , which works because the error is embedded in their action and is constant. i ask why not learn to strike center cueball and one answered he can strike center however he has to concentrate so much and then adjust his aiming from his natural aiming that it's too much effort.
                So what we are saying then is that because 1 professional has a little quirk to his game we can carbon copy this method and it should work for everyone?

We all have our own little good or bad habits but I disagree on this whole thread of enforcing playing intentional side on every shot to make potting for every single person easier cos some of us have spent a long time getting pretty decent at finding centre ball that we can believe it or not put in frame winning breaks on match table only finding the middle of the white i know it's a mad concept for folk that like to over complicate things with side but it is actually possible to hit relatively close to the middle of the white to ensure consistent potting the best players i know many are 100 break players all play plain ball centre striking and use side when an emergency requires it thats it.

Comment

• Graeme Dott dais on TV last week that he hardly ever plays centre ball. Ronnie said the same, he actually said he struggles to find centre ball (not sure I believe that). Peter Ebdon says he puts bits of side on most shots. I'm not saying it's right or wrong, I just don't think it's as big a deal as people make it out to be. I think I'm more likely to pot a well struck shot with side than a twitchy plain ball shot,

Comment

• Originally Posted by jonny66 View Post
                    Graeme Dott dais on TV last week that he hardly ever plays centre ball. Ronnie said the same, he actually said he struggles to find centre ball (not sure I believe that). Peter Ebdon says he puts bits of side on most shots. I'm not saying it's right or wrong, I just don't think it's as big a deal as people make it out to be. I think I'm more likely to pot a well struck shot with side than a twitchy plain ball shot,
                    I see the value of side when your high on the black and wanting to manipulate the bounce back off the cushion and also bringing the white over distance in and out of baulk or back up to baulk from the reds ive always said that in any debate on side there is common shots where it's used.

However, I just don't really see why folk's cueing is twitchy when they play plain ball but have a rolls royce action when they hit off centre it's same hand and same cue in the hand I don't get it pull the backswing back to required length and go through positively and you'll hit where your aiming wether is it centre or off centre. Stunning a just off straight red into the middle bag for example and not hitting the cushion i just don't see why or how side will help a pot or even be needed it just complicates things.

Comment

So what we are saying then is that because 1 professional has a little quirk to his game we can carbon copy this method and it should work for everyone?

i never said one professional, there are many in fact plus coaches too. and i am against the OP of intentionally putting side on the cueball when playing. my argument with Roy is putting side on intentionally doesn't solve a problem if someone can't hit center cueball consistently.
                      because any unintentional side left or right would negate what he is advocating.

and as i said some players amateurs and pros alike have grooved in over many years a certain way of playing which suits their game, so rather than go back to the beginning and try to learn hitting center ball they have developed an aiming system that allows them to pot consistently and suites the way they play

Comment

• Originally Posted by alabadi View Post
                        i never said one professional, there are many in fact plus coaches too. and i am against the OP of intentionally putting side on the cueball when playing. my argument with Roy is putting side on intentionally doesn't solve a problem if someone can't hit center cueball consistently.
                        because any unintentional side left or right would negate what he is advocating.

and as i said some players amateurs and pros alike have grooved in over many years a certain way of playing which suits their game, so rather than go back to the beginning and try to learn hitting center ball they have developed an aiming system that allows them to pot consistently and suites the way they play
                        I can see the point your making and it's fair enough I also agree with you that just cos you can't find the middle doesn't mean hitting the side is the answer to your prayers cos your still going to have a twitchy action whatever you do.

Comment

I can see the point your making and it's fair enough I also agree with you that just cos you can't find the middle doesn't mean hitting the side is the answer to your prayers cos your still going to have a twitchy action whatever you do.
                          But people seem to get brainwashed into thinking centre ball striking is the be all and end all of potting balls, and it's just not true. I know because I used to be like that, every shot I'm terrified of putting a little side on and it's even worse when I have to play intentional side. It does absolutely nothing for your cue action. Now I've seen that I can still pot most balls even with side as long as I keep my action smooth and positive I play much better. Funnily enough I can hit centre ball much better now as well.

Comment

Graeme Dott dais on TV last week that he hardly ever plays centre ball. Ronnie said the same, he actually said he struggles to find centre ball (not sure I believe that). Peter Ebdon says he puts bits of side on most shots. I'm not saying it's right or wrong, I just don't think it's as big a deal as people make it out to be. I think I'm more likely to pot a well struck shot with side than a twitchy plain ball shot,
                            I 100% agree.
                            Once you’ve put the hours in it’s not that hard to play with side whatsoever.
                            Makes the game so much more enjoyable to play as well.

Comment

But people seem to get brainwashed into thinking centre ball striking is the be all and end all of potting balls, and it's just not true. I know because I used to be like that, every shot I'm terrified of putting a little side on and it's even worse when I have to play intentional side. It does absolutely nothing for your cue action. Now I've seen that I can still pot most balls even with side as long as I keep my action smooth and positive I play much better. Funnily enough I can hit centre ball much better now as well.
                              I agree to a certain extent about side I do use it semi frequently but I don't agree with just chucking it on cos you can't hit plain ball.
                              The foundation is to learn to strike the ball as your addressing it if that was with side or middle ball top bottom or whatever then you are doing what your intending, just chucking side on cos you cant pot on centre is my problem with this.

Yes there are shots in snooker where side is on the shot and no I don't think its a wrong thing to do or am I scared of it cos I use it I just think the majority of shots by a good break builder never really uses a cushion and hes never really anything more than 3/4 ball on a shot on the correct angle for the next shot unless something moves off position slightly so i just don't see the big deal about putting side on.

It's like folk become obsessed with it and use it just cos its fun.

Comment

I agree to a certain extent about side I do use it semi frequently but I don't agree with just chucking it on cos you can't hit plain ball.
                                The foundation is to learn to strike the ball as your addressing it if that was with side or middle ball top bottom or whatever then you are doing what your intending, just chucking side on cos you cant pot on centre is my problem with this.

Yes there are shots in snooker where side is on the shot and no I don't think its a wrong thing to do or am I scared of it cos I use it I just think the majority of shots by a good break builder never really uses a cushion and hes never really anything more than 3/4 ball on a shot on the correct angle for the next shot unless something moves off position slightly so i just don't see the big deal about putting side on.

It's like folk become obsessed with it and use it just cos its fun.
                                Just because you’re not using a cushion doesn’t mean you don’t need side on the shot sometimes

Comment

Working...
                                X