No announcement yet.

commentators

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I like all the regulars, even WT in a love to hate kind of way. DT and JV are my favourite - their enthusiasm and love for the game is very infectious. I think Neil Foulds and Stephen Hendry offer the best, no nonsense and knowledgeable commentary.

List of those they could get rid of, commentary wise? Steve Davis, John Parrot, and since hearing him for the first time on BBC Wales, Darren Morgan. I can't put my finger on what it is about Morgan, but he sounds like he should be commentating on the indoor bowls instead.
    "Kryten, isn't it round about this time of year that your head goes back to the lab for retuning?"

Comment

Miss Clive in the box for his wisdom. Absolutely love Terry Griffiths style of commentary at the Crucible. He knows exactly what it's like to be in the heat of battle there and can sum up a situation superbly. Neal Foulds, Stephen Hendry both excellent. Of the others, JV, WT, DT - all rather predictable and not really that fussed - certainly, if I was sat in the Crucible I'd switch the ear piece on to listen to Terry, Neal and Stephen but I wouldn't for the other 3. Steve Davis, John Parrott and Ken Doherty are all better suited to doing the studio chit chat. That's only my opinion though.

Comment

I've never had an opinion on Willie Thorne either way, but listening to him on BBC Wales the other week I could see why the BBC don't use him as much.

He seemed to single out one player he didn't like, then criticise every single shot they made. He kept saying; "That's not how I'd have played that shot, oh well it's come off. He was fortunate." He wasn't even criticising bad shots, he was criticising every shot.

It's not like Willie Thorne won anything much, so what gives him the right to constantly belly-ache about a player's style or act like his style is the only correct way?

Comment

Mike Hallett and joe johnson are excellent on eurosport.

BBC wise i like Virgo,hendry and davis.

Comment

Originally Posted by jay686 View Post

BBC wise i like Virgo,hendry and davis.
            Is this post a wind up? The only person I like as a commentator on that list is Hendry. Each to their own though I guess!!

Comment

One of the best commentators going back over the years was Rex Williams. Good voice to listen too and so knowledgable. Jack Karnehm was quality but it was a bit cringey when he called Steve Davis "Stevie"... Urrkkh !
              The Master of the commentary box though was multiple World Champion John Pulman - what a voice!

Comment

Originally Posted by jay686 View Post
                Yes. Very good. I also like Dave Hendon and Philip Studd.

Comment

Dave Hendon is my favourite commentator of them all. Unfortunately he's often paired with Joe Johnson whose one of the worst!
                  I often use large words I don't really understand in an attempt to appear more photosynthesis.

Comment

Originally Posted by magicman View Post
                    Dave Hendon is my favourite commentator of them all. Unfortunately he's often paired with Joe Johnson whose one of the worst!
                    I think Dave Hendon and Joe Johnson are my favourite pairing so I'm very lucky.

Dave's memory for facts and stats is amazing.

Comment

Darren Morgon is terrible...it's like he's commentating on a funeral. He makes Willie Thorne look amazing. Dale is ok. Griffiths is another one who I find really, really boring.

I really want the BBC to sign up McManus. He was great in the CoC.

Comment

Originally Posted by Ronnie's tip View Post
                        Darren Morgon is terrible...it's like he's commentating on a funeral. He makes Willie Thorne look amazing. Dale is ok. Griffiths is another one who I find really, really boring.

I really want the BBC to sign up McManus. He was great in the CoC.
                        Good call on both Morgan and McManus. I'd forgotten how much I'd enjoyed listening to the latter at the CoC.
                        "Kryten, isn't it round about this time of year that your head goes back to the lab for retuning?"

Comment

I don't know if this is real but I do like the swearing Griffiths in this clip.

Comment

Fact as it is. not swearing.
                            Cuemaxx snooker channel on youtube

Comment

commentators

McManus is good, hope he gets more air time and can't beat the spaceman Dale who also knows his stuff.

Comment

Originally Posted by cuemaxx View Post
                                Fact as it is. not swearing.
                                You must be right. Although It doesn't sound like that to me.

Comment

Working...
                                X