Betfred World Championship 2020

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally Posted by Starsky View Post

Not forgetting how Selby and other players deliberately play on needing loads of snookers against the more fluent players to put them off their stride.
    Another thing I read that Ronnie said in a recent interview was that when you play the graceful slow escape, round the angles from a snooker, it usually allows your opponent the chance to put you in even more trouble, as you end up close to the object ball and your oppo can glance off and tuck you up again!. Using pace round the escape route gives a greater chance of this not happening... the old adage of "play the percentages" could even still be relevant to this shot?!?! :biggrin:

I think it will catch on.:snooker:
    ⚪ 🔴🟡🟢🟤🔵💗⚫🕳️😎

Comment

Not forgetting how Selby and other players deliberately play on needing loads of snookers against the more fluent players to put them off their stride.
      There's a school of thought that Selby will deliberately miss the ball that would make his opponent require more than one or two snookers so that the frame is prolonged. Even though it's his opponent that decides to play on it's Selby who makes that decsion for him by the deliberate miss or a deliberate positional blunder, he knows he will win the ensueing snooker/safety battle and take a very long time doing it to boot. We who have played snooker for a long time know this sort of thing goes on, the powers that be also know and after Barry Hearn stated that gamesmanship will no longer be tolerated as it's akin to cheating, Selby is allowed to carry it on and the commentators all give us this 'granite mental strength' bollocks as he takes over a minute to decide the bleedin' obvious that everyone sees immediately.

Watched a bit of the seniors yesterday and actually fell asleep watching Goggins v Doherty.
      Speak up, you've got to speak up against the madness, you've got speak your mind if you dare
      but don't try to get yourself elected, for if you do you'll have to cut your hair

Comment

• Originally Posted by Cue crafty View Post

Another thing I read that Ronnie said in a recent interview was that when you play the graceful slow escape, round the angles from a snooker, it usually allows your opponent the chance to put you in even more trouble, as you end up close to the object ball and your oppo can glance off and tuck you up again!. Using pace round the escape route gives a greater chance of this not happening... the old adage of "play the percentages" could even still be relevant to this shot?!?! :biggrin:

I think it will catch on.:snooker:
        It’s already caught on in my club...

To be fair to Selby I agree with the pundits when they say that being interviewed straight after a defeat like this is difficult and you can sometimes say the wrong things . Whether that was the case this time and he regrets what he said we will never know unless he says so. Either way Selby and others are guilty of this type of gamesmanship .

I will try the ‘Ronnie HAH Special ‘ tonight when I play ...

Comment

• Originally Posted by vmax View Post

There's a school of thought that Selby will deliberately miss the ball that would make his opponent require more than one or two snookers so that the frame is prolonged. Even though it's his opponent that decides to play on it's Selby who makes that decsion for him by the deliberate miss or a deliberate positional blunder, he knows he will win the ensueing snooker/safety battle and take a very long time doing it to boot. We who have played snooker for a long time know this sort of thing goes on, the powers that be also know and after Barry Hearn stated that gamesmanship will no longer be tolerated as it's akin to cheating, Selby is allowed to carry it on and the commentators all give us this 'granite mental strength' bollocks as he takes over a minute to decide the bleedin' obvious that everyone sees immediately.

Watched a bit of the seniors yesterday and actually fell asleep watching Goggins v Doherty.
          Not sure if Selby would go that far but let’s say I wouldn’t be surprised if he did . I agree what your saying though about what goes on.

That Goggins v Doherty match wasn’t great tbh and neither was the White v Johnson later although Jimmy played some good stuff later even if his opponent was poor. How many times did the pundits blame conditions etc for poor shots instead of just stating the obvious.

Ive more interest watching the qualifiers coming through like Gary Filtness etc . They were playing as amateurs in my day and never made it as Pros. This will be a big step up for them playing on the telly and it will be interesting to see how the cope with the cameras and extra pressure .
          Last edited by Starsky; 20 August 2020, 11:34 AM.

Comment

Not sure if Selby would go that far but let’s say I wouldn’t be surprised if he did . I agree what your saying though about what goes on.

That Goggins v Doherty match wasn’t great tbh and neither was the White v Johnson later although Jimmy played some good stuff later even if his opponent was poor. How many times did the pundits blame conditions etc for poor shots instead of just stating the obvious.

Ive more interest watching the qualifiers coming through like Gary Filtness etc . They were playing as amateurs in my day and never made it as Pros. This will be a big step up for them playing on the telly and it will be interesting to see how the cope with the cameras and extra pressure .
            Watched a bit of Gary Filtness match, he tried so hard and potted some great balls, but lady luck was against him. Great to see what it means to these guys though playing at the Crucible, he was literally in bits near the end. Nearly had me with a leaky eye, Lol.
            ⚪ 🔴🟡🟢🟤🔵💗⚫🕳️😎

Comment

Watched a bit of Gary Filtness match, he tried so hard and potted some great balls, but lady luck was against him. Great to see what it means to these guys though playing at the Crucible, he was literally in bits near the end. Nearly had me with a leaky eye, Lol.
              Yep , that’s the story for me , shame about the result though. He was in bits when he qualified as well ..

Comment

Yep , that’s the story for me , shame about the result though. He was in bits when he qualified as well ..
                I liked his style, did you know him Mark? I thought he seemed really solid, think he won London championship a number of times? Really interesting to see the old style of long bridge still being effective, I like many have tried to bring my bridge in toward the cue ball to gain more control. I'm sure it works but it's not second nature still.

Just a a pastime for me these days bud, but still love playing.
                Last edited by Cue crafty; 21 August 2020, 11:08 AM.
                ⚪ 🔴🟡🟢🟤🔵💗⚫🕳️😎

Comment

• Cue crafty ,

my friend . how are you ? enjoyed the final ??
                  I'm not gonna stay and bother you guys , gonna get back to the jail asap .... Just wanted to say hello to everyone and I hope everyone is healthy and free from this damn
                  Corona the porona virus.
                  congratulations to Ronnie and Kyren for this excellent performance and my compliments for kyren. A great sportsman
                  and certainly a potential candidate to lift that trophy in t future.
                  This forum looks different btw... what the hell happened ? Dean, what have you been up to my dear friend ? you messed up whit
                  sum of those buttons again ? or is this a part of sum kinda natural evaluation !!! ?

Goodluck to everyone and stay healthy .

Kind regards ,
                  Ramon

Comment

• all's well here
                    hope same with you

yep the site finally got the update that was needed for many years

come back soon
                    Up the TSF! :snooker:

Comment

• Originally Posted by Ramon View Post
                      Cue crafty ,

my friend . how are you ? enjoyed the final ??
                      I'm not gonna stay and bother you guys , gonna get back to the jail asap .... Just wanted to say hello to everyone and I hope everyone is healthy and free from this damn
                      Corona the porona virus.
                      congratulations to Ronnie and Kyren for this excellent performance and my compliments for kyren. A great sportsman
                      and certainly a potential candidate to lift that trophy in t future.
                      This forum looks different btw... what the hell happened ? Dean, what have you been up to my dear friend ? you messed up whit
                      sum of those buttons again ? or is this a part of sum kinda natural evaluation !!! ?

Goodluck to everyone and stay healthy .

Kind regards ,
                      Ramon
                      Great to hear from Bud, glad you are well! It was a brilliant Worlds, loved every minute of it!! After all the grief of Corona it was amazing that they still went ahead, I didnt think it would work without the crowd but somehow all the pressure and the drama were still there in full effect.

Take care of yourself :snooker:
                      ⚪ 🔴🟡🟢🟤🔵💗⚫🕳️😎

Comment

I liked his style, did you know him Mark? I thought he seemed really solid, think he won London championship a number of times? Really interesting to see the old style of long bridge still being effective, I like many have tried to bring my bridge in toward the cue ball to gain more control. I'm sure it works but it's not second nature still.

Just a a pastime for me these days bud, but still love playing.
                        Every time I practice at the moment I seem to be changing something

Didn't know him personally in the 80’s as he was a bit older than me although I saw him at various comps in the mid to late 80’s. I knew quite a few people who knew him personally from the East London /Essex area.
                        He was a good solid player at the time who if I remember right played a lot of money matches as did most of those older players at the time like Jon Wright ( nicknamed Giro Jon as he always played for his giro when he got it !) etc.
                        Last edited by Starsky; 29 August 2020, 10:00 AM.

Comment

Working...
                        X